rMBP SSD Missing Space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jlin615, Aug 16, 2012.

1. jlin615, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

jlin615 macrumors regular

How come the 768GB SSD on the rMBP only have 750GB usable space? What happened to the other 18GB?

2. tninety macrumors regular

Because Apple's advertising is misleading. See my previous post about this.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Mac OS X operating system, system files and included apps take some space.

4. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

I mean the entire "Macintosh HD" is 750GB.

5. tninety macrumors regular

That doesn't account for the fact that the drive is 750 gigabytes unformatted. The formatting and recovery partition take up much less than 1 GB of space - a far cry from the 18 GB that's missing. The 768 GB "flash storage" module has the same unformatted capacity as a 750 gigabyte hard drive, so Apple should advertise it as a 750 gigabyte drive.

I said later in the thread I linked above that Apple advertising the SM512E as 512 GB would be like an SSD vendor advertising their 512 GB drives as 550 GB. With Apple charging $2 per gigabyte for upgrades, you are essentially out $36 on the 768 GB upgrade.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't recall standard hard drives loses so much space after formatting. Wheter it's a HD or SDD, losing 1-2GB is acceptable, but 18GB is pretty signifcant.

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Isn't this true for any drive out there. SSD or HHD Windows or Mac? Even portable thumb drives, the iPhone, android phones SD cards, anything with space is actual is smaller than advertised amount. It's not false advertising, it's usable space vs actual space.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why don't you file a class-action lawsuit about it? Seriously, it's not a big deal.

10. tninety, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

tninety macrumors regular

Then why don't Sandforce drive vendors advertise 480 GB drives as 512 GB? They have 512 GiB of flash on them. Apple is doing the same thing here.

"Actual formatted capacity may be less" has historically referred to two things:

1. The difference between GiB (1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes) and GB (1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes). This isn't an issue with how OS X counts GB because OS X uses base 10 in its indication anyway.

2. The formatting you lose from the EFI and recovery partitions - again, this is irrelevant because we're looking at the unformatted capacity of the drive.

Neither of these situations apply here. The drive just takes 18 GB of space for overprovisioning. If you buy a 750 GB hard drive from Apple, it will have the same unformatted capacity as the 768 GB rMBP.

Not everyone has the time to call lawyers up just to file class actions randomly... You're losing anywhere from 6 GB to 18 GB of space depending on what machine you get, and this can be a significant difference that is NOT reflected before you buy the machine.

On an actual Samsung 830 you can use Samsung's SSD Magician software to customize the amount of overprovisioning on the drive and get the full capacity if you want. That's not an option here - the program refuses to operate on OEM Samsung SSDs.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A 2% difference is, by most reasonable people's definition, not "significant". You should maintain far more than that in free space on any drive. It's not worth getting bent out of shape about. It is what it is. Ranting about it won't change a thing.

12. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

+1 yea, the significant difference may reflect people decision to choose their rMBP configuration.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're basing a buying decision solely on a 2% difference in storage capacity, your purchasing criteria is seriously flawed. You should keep at least 10% storage space free, anyway.

14. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Highly unlikely. Anyone choosing the 768 is after the most space they can get, or just wants to be that guy with a top of the range PC. Either way, if you're wealthy enough to afford the device you're not going to be swayed by a small % less storage space. All computers, phones, games consoles, anything with a hard drive always have less space than advertised.

15. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

Not complaining or anything. My original question was all just curiosity.

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I have a brand new 256GB samsung SSD sitting on my desk right now that I just got yesterday. I haven't put anything on it yet, but there is only 238.47GB available. That's 17.53GB wasted on formatting. Maybe I should sue samsung for selling me a 238.47GB drive. :rolleyes:

17. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

I wonder why SSD's loses so much space after formatting compare to standard hard drives.

18. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

OK I plugged in my Seagate 500GB HHD and only 465.76GB are available. Can I get a refund for the 34.24GB that was robbed from me?:rolleyes:

What's the sarcasm font on this forum again?

----------

See post number 18 ^^ and do you have another Hard drive that does better? I find it hard to believe. I've never seen any type of hard drive or portable media do much better percentage wise.

----------

My 2007 Honda CBR600RR was advertised as a 600cc engine, but I recently found it it's only 599cc. Should I start a class action lawsuit?

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

[sarcasm]What's the sarcasm font on this forum again?[/sarcasm]

What's the sarcasm font on this forum again? (LOL! it worked!)

20. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

This is one of those topics that get on my nerves. To me it's a lack of understanding what you're buying, then complaining about what you bought.

21. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. As I've mentioned above, I'm just curious. Not here to rant or anything.

The WD 750GB HD in my Mac Mini has actual space of 749GB. My WD external 1TB's actual space is 1TB. I know the actual space will certainly be different than advertised. This is my first SSD, so I was just wondering why the difference in actual space and advertised space is much more significant than standard HD's. It's no big deal to me, just curious.

22. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Do you have screen shots? Maybe it's different in a MAC as opposed to windows, but I have several hard drives around me. I have at least three 80GB, a 120, 256, 320 and two 500 HHD drives, and one 256 SSD drive and they all have several GBs less than what's advertised. I've been working in IT for years (windows side) and this is extremely normal.

23. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Is that in Windows or OS X? They differ in how they calculate gigabytes. My 256 GB Samsung 830 shows up as 256.06 GB in Disk Utility with its partition being 255.2 GB. That's fairly accurate, I'd say.

- That's because to Windows 1 GB is 1024 MB, which is 1024 KB, which is 1024 Bytes. OS X uses the same way of calculating as hard drive/SSD manufacturers, where 1 GB is 1000 MB and so on.

Can't anyone come up with an explanation for the missing space on the rMBP's SSD? Neither the unformatted vs. formatted issue or the 1024 vs. 1000 issue apply.

24. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

It's in windows, and mine is a 830 series drive as well.

Are you sure manufacturers are using 1000MB as 1GB? If they are then I'd say someone could have a lawsuit. Can you provide a link where you got that info?

25. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There actually was a lawsuit over this a few years ago.