rMBP users: Are you going to get the Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter?

henry72

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
The Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter is available on the online store NOW!

If you've got a FireWire hard drive, would you get it? Or save the money for an actual Thunderbolt hard drive? :D

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Actual TB drive. Firewire, as an interface, is on the way out. I wouldn't want to invest in new kit for it - though if I had old FW drives I'd definitely get the adapter.

lazer155

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
I'd buy the adapter myself because I just bought a USB/FireWire drive about 7 months ago. The FireWire connection is much faster than USB which is why I try to use it instead of USB. I would get a thunderbolt drive but they are a lot more expensive than FireWire ones. I'll wait for prices to come down first.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
For my needs, I don't see spending 30 bucks as a good idea. I'll stick with USB (my external drives are FW and USB), until such time I buy can get either a TB drive or TB drive enclosure

henry72

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Actual TB drive. Firewire, as an interface, is on the way out. I wouldn't want to invest in new kit for it - though if I had old FW drives I'd definitely get the adapter.
Thanks for your input, yea I'm thinking the same. I don't really want to spend money on old technology aye. My Seagate hard drive comes with USB 2.0 and FireWire 800 adapter. So I might just use the USB 2.0 for now :( I wish it's USB 3.0! Damn it.

----------

I'd buy the adapter myself because I just bought a USB/FireWire drive about 7 months ago. The FireWire connection is much faster than USB which is why I try to use it instead of USB. I would get a thunderbolt drive but they are a lot more expensive than FireWire ones. I'll wait for prices to come down first.
Fair enough! The ThunderBolt hard drive is expensive as hell at the moment aye. It's definitely for rich people :D

mcb001982

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Manhattan NY
I have a Lacie raid FW drive which I have not been able to use since picking up my Retina a few weeks ago so yes I will be putting in the order. Thanks for letting me know they have it now! :D

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
It would have been handy to use to connect up my MBP in target disk mode for running Migration Assistant to set up my new rMBP. Too late for that, but it's not too late for using my current FW external drives.

$29 now is okay. I don't need max transfer speeds for SuperDuper backups. Down the road if an external needs replacing I'll get a drive with either a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt or a combo of the two connections. The prices should be down by then. :rolleyes:

:apple:

uhslax24

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA
Was it just removed from the store? I could find it earlier but now I can't see it. Does anyone have the link the the item??

Edit: Looks like this item has been un-released from the online store. I am SO upset about this.

Last edited:

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Was it just removed from the store? I could find it earlier but now I can't see it. Does anyone have the link the the item??
They pulled it per Cult of Mac. WTF, over? I need one of those adapters.

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
They pulled it per Cult of Mac. WTF, over? I need one of those adapters.
I ordered one about an hour ago. No problems.

Here's the link I used. Looks like it's still working...
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A?fnode=51&p=2

UPDATE: I went over to the Apple store and the Thunderbolt/FireWire adapter is listed. Store-->Mac Accessories-->Cables. It's way down at the bottom, second row from the last.

Last edited:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If I had a FW drive, I would pull the drive out and put it into a USB 3 enclosure. You can get enclosures at NewEgg, MicroCenter and other computer parts houses. You can get a 3TB USB 3 drive at Costco for $139.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
I'm still not seeing the damned thing and the links posted above aren't working. WTF?

*update* Found it in the iOS store. I have no idea why I can't find it through my web browser.

Last edited:

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Agreed. If you have important files and no other way to access them, get it and migrate them to your desktop or a USB external. Then house them on a TB external if and when you purchase it.

MassMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
Boston MetroWest
They must have restocked - I just ordered one. The order confirmation says:

"Available to ship in 1 - 3 business days
Delivers Aug 8 - Aug 10 by Standard Shipping"

mcb001982

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Manhattan NY
Yeah it came back up on iOS app so I ordered it there. On Apple's US site I couldn't find it for the longest time and the link you guys posted before would show a 404 error msg, strange...

md63

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
Yes I definitely ordered one. I've been using Macs for years and FireWire 800 was the fastest connection (prior to TB). I'm using a 2011 MBA so I don't have USB 3.0. I have an Akitio Taurus Mini two drive raid enclosure (2.5" drives) which I am currently using through the LaCie Esata TB hub. The Firewire adapter will allow me to take the raid with me and get faster speeds than USB while leaving the power adapter for the unit at home. I also need the Firewire adapter to use with my video recorder which connects through Firewire. My old MBP had firewire but I'm now doing everything on my MBA.