rMBP users: Are you going to get the Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henry72, Aug 1, 2012.

1. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

The Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter is available on the online store NOW!

If you've got a FireWire hard drive, would you get it? Or save the money for an actual Thunderbolt hard drive? :D

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Actual TB drive. Firewire, as an interface, is on the way out. I wouldn't want to invest in new kit for it - though if I had old FW drives I'd definitely get the adapter.

3. lazer155 macrumors regular

I'd buy the adapter myself because I just bought a USB/FireWire drive about 7 months ago. The FireWire connection is much faster than USB which is why I try to use it instead of USB. I would get a thunderbolt drive but they are a lot more expensive than FireWire ones. I'll wait for prices to come down first.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For my needs, I don't see spending 30 bucks as a good idea. I'll stick with USB (my external drives are FW and USB), until such time I buy can get either a TB drive or TB drive enclosure

5. henry72 thread starter macrumors 65816

henry72

Thanks for your input, yea I'm thinking the same. I don't really want to spend money on old technology aye. My Seagate hard drive comes with USB 2.0 and FireWire 800 adapter. So I might just use the USB 2.0 for now :( I wish it's USB 3.0! Damn it.

----------

Fair enough! The ThunderBolt hard drive is expensive as hell at the moment aye. It's definitely for rich people :D

6. mcb001982 macrumors regular

I have a Lacie raid FW drive which I have not been able to use since picking up my Retina a few weeks ago so yes I will be putting in the order. Thanks for letting me know they have it now! :D

7. ColoArtist macrumors regular

It would have been handy to use to connect up my MBP in target disk mode for running Migration Assistant to set up my new rMBP. Too late for that, but it's not too late for using my current FW external drives.

$29 now is okay. I don't need max transfer speeds for SuperDuper backups. Down the road if an external needs replacing I'll get a drive with either a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt or a combo of the two connections. The prices should be down by then. :rolleyes:

:apple:

8. uhslax24, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Was it just removed from the store? I could find it earlier but now I can't see it. Does anyone have the link the the item??

Edit: Looks like this item has been un-released from the online store. I am SO upset about this.

9. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

They pulled it per Cult of Mac. WTF, over? I need one of those adapters.

10. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Apple telephone sales is still seeing it in their system, just not on the site. Call them and see if you can get them to pull it up! It just worked for me.

11. ColoArtist, Aug 1, 2012

ColoArtist macrumors regular

I ordered one about an hour ago. No problems.

Here's the link I used. Looks like it's still working...
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A?fnode=51&p=2

UPDATE: I went over to the Apple store and the Thunderbolt/FireWire adapter is listed. Store-->Mac Accessories-->Cables. It's way down at the bottom, second row from the last.

12. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Legit!

13. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

It's also still listed in the iOS apple store

14. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If I had a FW drive, I would pull the drive out and put it into a USB 3 enclosure. You can get enclosures at NewEgg, MicroCenter and other computer parts houses. You can get a 3TB USB 3 drive at Costco for $139.

15. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

i purchased just in case, either way i get to add a new box to the apple collection.:)

16. kfscoll, Aug 1, 2012

kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I'm still not seeing the damned thing and the links posted above aren't working. WTF?

*update* Found it in the iOS store. I have no idea why I can't find it through my web browser.

17. JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

Agreed. If you have important files and no other way to access them, get it and migrate them to your desktop or a USB external. Then house them on a TB external if and when you purchase it.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

19. mcb001982 macrumors regular

It's gone on both ends for me (Apple US website and iOS app) :(

I hope they restock it soon...

20. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

I ordered my adapter. I have a few firewire drives that I would like to use

21. MassMacMan macrumors regular

They must have restocked - I just ordered one. The order confirmation says:

"Available to ship in 1 - 3 business days
    Delivers Aug 8 - Aug 10 by Standard Shipping"

22. mcb001982 macrumors regular

Yeah it came back up on iOS app so I ordered it there. On Apple's US site I couldn't find it for the longest time and the link you guys posted before would show a 404 error msg, strange...

23. zalo macrumors newbie

24. md63 macrumors 6502

Yes I definitely ordered one. I've been using Macs for years and FireWire 800 was the fastest connection (prior to TB). I'm using a 2011 MBA so I don't have USB 3.0. I have an Akitio Taurus Mini two drive raid enclosure (2.5" drives) which I am currently using through the LaCie Esata TB hub. The Firewire adapter will allow me to take the raid with me and get faster speeds than USB while leaving the power adapter for the unit at home. I also need the Firewire adapter to use with my video recorder which connects through Firewire. My old MBP had firewire but I'm now doing everything on my MBA.