rMBP water spill all ruined!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bilalo, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Hello
    My cats pushed a glass of beer on my lappy while i was using it and it went in from the ventilation and everything. Now 3 days later i take it to a local apple maintenance place which isn't an apple store and he says it costs as much as a new laptop to fix. I got the laptop 3 months ago from usa as a student, will apple agree to replace it or do anything if i go back there, to an apple store?? Any suggestions? The guy here said the motherboard is fried, usb, retina, almost everything because its sugary water...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple will not do anything other then repair the laptop for a fee. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done. Repair or replace and both will be expensive.

Sorry to hear this occurred :(

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry, but I have serious doubts about whether Apple will do anything much since it is water damage, and that's not covered under the warrantee.

Normaly I would suggest whining, crying and begging as a useful strategy, but I doubt that even that will get you anywhere.

Seriously, I'm really sorry your rMBP is cooked. It's such a disappointing and frustrating experience...not to mention expensive.:(

4. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh the Painnnn :((((

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sell it for parts on eBay and put the cash towards a new ... lappy.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Hang in, Mate.

It's only £££.

Oy, but so much £££!:eek:

For what it's worth (which, at the moment, I'm sure is absolutely zero)...you have my sympathy!:(

7. r6mile macrumors 6502

Having had a similar incident with water myself a few months ago (my 3-year old 2010 13" MBP), I can only say that I'm terribly sorry you had to go through that.

Your best bet is to go to an official Apple Store and have them give you a quote for the repair - mine was quoted at nearly £400 (which I chose not to do, and sell for parts, given that I'd be repairing a 3 year old laptop).

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do you have any type of homeowners or renters insurance that could possibly cover it?

9. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

I can't imagine the screen being dead if the fan sucked up the beer.. Anyway, if you're gonna get a whole Macbook replacement (as I'm guessing they are not going to put the old screen on a new computer) ask if you can keep the old screen. If it's still in good condition you can sell it for probably 300-400 dollars. Or if you're going to buy a new one, just salvage the screen. There should be a tutorial on ifixit.com.

10. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Most homeowners won't cover damage you do, only stuff like theft fire etc.

Worth looking into though.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This thread reminded me to call my insurance company to update my address information with them. I used the opportunity to ask about a situation like this and they told me that yes they would cover it, subject to my deductible and for computers they'd cover up to $1,000.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apart from insurance, some credit cards offer purchase protection, where they cover accidental damage within the first 90 days or so. Perhaps you could check that?

If you don't have any of that, you may have to go back to an Apple Store and play the poor student card. An authorized technician (non-Apple corporate shop) will not repair or replace no matter how you plea since they don't get reimbursed by Apple for a liquid damaged part should they repair it).

13. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

FWIW - When my son spilled a ton of water on my 2008 unibody MBP, it took over a month for it to dry out completely.

14. LuxoJunior macrumors member

Skin the cat, make gloves, sell gloves, adopt a dog. Problem solved.

15. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I think there's a real market for 'sport' model laptops and tablets. I know Kodak makes a nice waterproof camera.

That sort of durability will happen eventually (for a price).

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Perhaps instead of a Mac, a Panasonic Toughbook with a fully rubberized keyboard would be more appropriate for someone prone to spilling, pouring or dumping minimal to large quantities of fluids with or with out additives like sugars, food coloring and dyes onto their computers.

Attached Files:

17. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

And people thought MacBooks were expensive.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have a Panasonic CF-19 (19" screen) with an Intel Mobile Centrino CPU (it's several years old now) that cost $3,000 to buy. Of course I didn't buy it, but the office did. ;)

19. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Apple won't do anything. Also, considering the cost of these is around $2000 at the moment, there is simply no way fixing that one could possibly cost as much as a new one.

20. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

21. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Are you sure it was your cat the culprit? How many beers did you drink? :D

Joking aside, really sorry to hear such sad news :(. Apple products are so expensive and so fragile. Most of the time they die tragically young... Next time, you better get a laptop insurance that cover common accidents such as spill and drop...

22. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

You haven't had to bring a wet laptop to an Apple Store recently have you? They charge a few hundred short of a new or refurbed machine.

Source: Former Genius

23. jcpb macrumors 6502a

OP said the beer slipped through the center vents. Keyboard covers do nothing against that sort of liquid damage.

24. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

One reason I am glad I have full accidental home insurance that would replace a expensive item if it happened to me

25. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Though I feel sorry for you but do you seriously think Apple should replace it for you? It’s really weird for me to even think that Apple would replace it when it’s not their fault. You can always ‘try’ to bring it back to Apple store and see what they say but it’s very unlikely (99.9%) that they won’t replace it. That 0.1% would be some genius is high/blind/ that they are willing to replace it for you. Or maybe they can offer you a discount because they feel sorry for you. Or you can just get a quote from another repairer shop. If it’s too much then might as well get a new one.