RMBP...worth waiting for a refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by homes2525, Aug 24, 2012.

1. homes2525 macrumors member

Hi everyone
    There are a lot of posts/threads relating to this so called 'lag' on the new retina MacBook pro, but is it really that bad/noticeable to a normal user
    Could someone post a video on the best retina setting on the intel graphics running the latest mountain lion update to show the lag?

Also has mountain lion 10.8.1 fixed anything?

I was gonna get this rmbp for university, but due to the complaints I've seen o. This thread, I'm considering buying an air until the retina is refreshed and then selling that?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10.8.1 seems to have improved the experience.

3. entraik macrumors 6502a

At Best Retina Settings. Everything runs fairly smooth. Runs smoother for me on 10.8.1. I think the issues arise at higher resolutions on a few websites/App Store. It's all software related. They'll eventually fix these issues through updates/patches.

4. 725032 Guest

Yeah stay away from the rmbp for this gen

Dogged with loads of issues

5. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

works fine to me

6. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't rush a purchase just to the get mbpr but if you are in the market for an Apple laptop then it really is the best one right now. Same as all Apple products there will probably be a new one next year and it will be a little better than this one.

I picked up one of them on launch day and it has been working flawlessly. It has a lot of power in a small package.

7. chrslbrt macrumors newbie

I have it and works fine so far. Not a single issue and has blown away my expectations. Of course people are going to be polarized here. Either people are going to post their awesome experience or post their problems, which usually slants towards the latter.

The majority of people haven't been having issues with the Retina Macbook Pro as far as I can tell.

8. playsontheleft macrumors regular

Remember that on a forum every issue is going to seem over-exaggurated because people come here with their problems. That said, in reality, the majority of users (self included) seem to be having a good experience. There's nothing wrong with this machine until you go needlessly looking for it, in which case, you're being pretty picky over an otherwise wonderful machine because the commonly identified "issues" such as lag really aren't bad at all.

9. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

It's made it worse for me... I haven't experienced any lag until today :(

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Same for me.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I find the polarization effect happens frequently when people are spending well outside of their comfort zone due to new shiny things.

12. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Or wait for 13" retina version which is around the corner according to current rumors...

13. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Honestly rather than taking people's word for it, why don't you purchase one and try it out? If you don't like it, take it back, no questions asked.

Having had a rMBP, I can tell you it's an awesome computer. If I didn't have a memory error, I would have kept it. Again, this is something you will need to decide for yourself and this community (while I love em), is going to have biases.

14. NintendoFan macrumors regular

I think the current one is fine, but there is surely no doubt that the next revision is going to have a stronger GPU that will help make driving the retina display easier.

15. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Why didn't you exchange it for another? :confused:

16. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

I have no proablem...what are you talking about.?

17. Hedoh macrumors newbie

Hedoh

Same

18. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

LMAO what a noob, sounds like someone is sour cos they can't afford one.

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the current version. However if you can wait, I would highly encourage you to do so. Remember this is a brand new model, that until now hasn't been in the hands of the public being used in real world conditions.

One area of Apple's expertise is taking everything they've learned about it from warranty repairs, feedback from customers, and their own engineering group that are now using them everyday, and using that feedback to create a greatly improved second generation product. It's this second gen model that will have lots of little, and sometimes big improvements and refinements.

There are many examples of this, and as one who has used Apple's laptops over two decades, I have found in nearly every case the second gen is far better. So unless you have a burning need, wait. You will be so glad you did.

20. 725032 Guest

I purchased a rMBP directly from Apple. I was very unhappy with various defects and faults so returned it for a full refund a week later.

I would suggest that you are the 'noob' for making assumptions re someones financial status.

21. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I would suggest that you're talking out of your arse by saying "dogged with loads of issues" when it clearly isn't.

22. BB.King macrumors regular

I bought the lower end retina, and have not had any problem with it so far.

The next year's model will have faster CPU, GPU and maybe larger hard drive for the same money. Werther you are willing to wait 10 more months for the refresh model is up to you.

I personally don't use the retina on the go most of the time. I found it too bulky, heavy and does not have enough battery life to last for a days work (8hrs).

23. 725032 Guest

Making more assumptions... Very clever

Almost as clever as all of these insults you are using.

24. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

If you need a computer now then just buy one now. Personally for me I upgraded from an 06 Macbook (since ML wasn't going to support her anymore) and so far it's been a great update. It's crazy fast and it's getting the job done! However, if you have a computer that can hold you out another year or so I would just wait it out.

For me I only buy when I either really need the update or in most cases until support for the computer is done for.

If you have something from before 08 I would update

If you have something 09 or newer I'm pretty sure you could wait it out another year for the update.

No matter what you get the "newer" version of the computer is already around the corner. As stupid as it may sound its entirely true! So when you decide to update just make sure it's an update that benefits you!

25. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

The 2013 Retina MacBook Pro will definitely be better than the current model and show better UI performance, more apps will support it etc.
    The 2014 Retina MacBook Pro will definitely be better than the 2013 model and show better UI performance, more apps will support it etc.
    The 2015 Retina MacBook Pro will definitely be better than the 2014 model and show better UI performance, more apps will support it etc.

You could wait forever. Realistically we’re looking at, at least another ten months before a new model is released.

Do you want to be without a retina display for 10 months?

Certainly it will be a better experience next year when more apps have been updated, and there is better hardware to drive the display, but non-retina apps are no worse on the retina display than they are on a non-retina display—the difference is just more obvious when they’re on the same screen as retina apps.

But you could be using a retina display now. What’s that worth to you?

After getting my iPad 3 earlier this year, every display I’ve looked at, except the iPhone’s, has looked very low resolution and pixellated. I’m not in the market for a notebook right now, but if I was, I would probably have to buy a Retina MacBook Pro, even though it’s not the ideal machine for me in many other regards. (15″ is bigger than I’d like, and I don’t know that I’m ready to be without an optical drive or the option of an SSD+HDD yet, given the high cost and low capacity of flash storage)