rMBP wouldn't boot on plane

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madius, Jul 21, 2012.

1. madius macrumors newbie

Just flew from DC to San Diego. My rMBP wouldn't turn on during the flight. It was working just fine prior to boarding. Soon as I landed, tried again and it worked. Was forced to spend 5 hours twiddling my thumbs.

What gives?

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

3. madius thread starter macrumors newbie

No.

4. Glockron macrumors member

There's no reason it shouldn't work on the plane. Most likely you just didn't press the button right, or your battery was flat :p

5. madius thread starter macrumors newbie

People, I'm not an idiot. I spent 15 minutes pressing the power button any which way I could. Person sitting next to me thought I was doing morse code at one point.

Could it have been the pressure?

Ed: Also, battery was at 100%, looked right before I boarded.

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Oh right, the FAA has placed a restriction on all Retina MacBook Pros. They are using a targeted EMP to keep only Retna MacBook Pros from booting. Sorry for the inconvienence.

7. Glockron macrumors member

Haha :p I guess we're only as confused as you are as to why it wouldn't work :)

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

but sadly, sarcasm and being rude is the only way anyone on this forum knows how to express anything.

9. reemas macrumors member

seems like a rare bug. one thing you can try next time is resetting the SMC. i think you hold down the left shift+option+control and press the power button simultaneously.
    i usually do it a couple times (because there is no confirmation if you do it correctly or incorrectly).

anyway, after giving it a few seconds your can try to boot up. in the same boot i would also reset the PRAM. to do that you hold down command+option+P+R.

i think that resetting the SMC would have been your best bet. did you ever get it to turn on? even if you did, i would still reset the PRAM and SMC now.

p.s. who has so much time on their hands to post useless, humorless messages to a random person on the internet? (answer: see above).

10. madius thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips, and agreed. Yeah, it turned on just fine after I landed.

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Were you on your way home, or do you have a return flight? Will be interesting to see if it happens again.

12. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Maximum operating altitude is rated at 10,000 ft per the specs on the Apple website. However, I can't explain what may have happened.

13. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

But the airplane's cabin is pressurized so that is not the issue. The 10k limit is really for airflow. As you go up the air gets thinner and is less effective at cooling your machine. I found this out when I was installing a new product in Colorado Springs (~6000 ft) when we had designed it on the east coast at sea level. Our thermistors started going off, turning off the machine thinking that the fans had stopped working.

The only thing the OP can do is to post his problem here and see if it is a one time event or to see if there are other users who end up having the same issue. He could also google his problem to see if anyone else had ever experienced this problem with a laptop of any kind.

14. houkouonchi macrumors regular

A serious response..

Yes this would be my best guess as well. Honestly I can't think of anything else it could be. Were u able to do a test from A/C just as a test? Assuming the answer to that is no.

15. madius thread starter macrumors newbie

Heading back next weekend, so we'll see. Just took it to the Apple store, and the genius found nothing wrong. Dude said it was the first time he ever ran tests on a rMPB, had to go in back to find someone who knew what they were doing.

----------

It was a sad United flight, so no A/C.

16. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

I am sure this is not a software issue.

17. sofianito, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Acrophobia... rMBP suffers from acrophobia :D

To reproduce the issue, try to switch it on at last floor of The Empire State Building :p

18. brentsg macrumors 68040

19. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I flew from NC to LA and back this past week and used my rMBP both ways. No problems.

20. madius thread starter macrumors newbie

I literally LOL'd

----------

Thanks. Anyone else fly with it yet?

21. Lvivske macrumors regular

The Triangle's been waiting for a comeback.

22. Office Hours macrumors member

NY to SF two weeks ago. No problem.