Road Test To Get My License - Tips?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DJMastaWes, Dec 22, 2008.

1. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Hello everyone!

So, I made a thread 8 months ago, asking for help and tips on passing my theory test to get my learners license. The time has come (soon) for me to do my road test, to get my full license.

My test is on January 13th, at 10:10AM (i picked that time, cause I figured the roads would be less busy).

I was just wondering what tips you guys could give me on how to pass - I'm not a stupid driver who speeds, gets angry or is aggressive towards other drives. I think in the 8 months of having my learners (which equates to about 3-4 days a week of driving for a few hours per day), I've only honked 4 times.

Anyway, I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks guys, and Happy Holidays!

2. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

Just don't be nervous! Difficult, I know, but that was the key for me.

Good luck, man.

3. gibbz macrumors 68030

4. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Be in the moment, focussing on the traffic conditions and not the examiner. Making visual checks to the sides and rear, and scanning for potential hazards is another thing that is looked for by most examiners. Finally, don't try to be too cautious, as the examiner may interpret that as lacking confidence due to lack of skill. As in preparing for a speech, remember to practice, practice, practice, and practice some more.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Practice, Practice, Practice. Although, I'm sure you knew that one. ;)

During the test, take your time. Drive slightly under the limit, don't hesitate to hesitate, and don't rush while parking. Don't be afraid to look like an idiot; you're being tested for competency and safety, not speed and efficiently.

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Don't hit anything.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what will be on your test, but we were always made to parallel park and do a reverse stall park. Those are probably the trickiest maneuvers they can test you on, everything else is pretty straightforward as long as you know what you're doing.

And keep an eye out for school zones and speed limit signs! I got tripped up because I missed a school zone and sped through it once... :eek:

7. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Don't be over-nervous. The instructors know you're already hyper and worked up over it, and usually take that into account.

However, if you have to err, err on the side of caution. For my test, I was going around the block (with the instructor-woman scribbling beside me) and there was a front yard full of kids like 6 years old playing ball. I slow down as I go by, and to my utter surprise she tells me to go faster!

Be polite.

Check your mirrors.

Ace your parallel parking.

Keep both hands on the wheel.

Be victorious.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

10 o'clock, 2 o'clock and make sure first thing you do is buckle up. They may try and distract you by talking. Here it's instant failure.

Relax.

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Come to a complete stop at traffic lights and stop signs. :)

10. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

I agree with everyone else about not being nervous. Just try and relax. I don't know how it is where you are, but when I was in high school, I passed even though I made a few mistakes (trying to reverse while in park comes to mind...). The guy knew I was nervous, and didn't penalize me for it. Although he did make me drive around for 45 minutes...

Good luck! Considering how much you're preparing for this, I think you'll do just fine. :)

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Don't chirp the tires pulling out at the first stop sign......well, actually, I did that and still got my license, so go ahead and burn some rubber. :p

12. Surely Guest

Surely

I think that in Montreal, all you need to do to pass is not kill someone. Some of the worst and most aggressive drivers I've ever experienced.

Just talk about the Habs the whole time, and you'll pass.

Just bash the Leafs (and Toronto for that matter) the whole time, and you'll pass.

Oh, I think some of the advice above my post was very good too. :D

13. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Completely agree - most examiners are of the 'it's a limit not a target' mentality.

When you pass, and become confident and able, you'll appreciate that you really should drive to the conditions. There are times when you could safely drive at 40 in a 30 zone, and when it would be stupid to drive even at 50 in a 70. Speed limits are, for the most part, because the majority of drivers cannot make this assessment.

AppleMatt

14. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

the faster you finish the road test; the sooner you will get your license... :D

15. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Don't worry if you flub the first one. I did, and it was the "roll down the window stick your arm out signal properly and do it fast whilst not unduly turning the wheels" part. :p

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Rules are made to be broken.......but only after you pass your damn test.

17. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

My aunt flunked hers 6 times. (or was it 5?) It was either 5 or 6 times..

.. it happens.

18. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Road tests in the US are a joke. I got my MA drivers license when I was 16. The test took the best part of 10 mins. It basically consisted of 4 corners to the right, a hill start (I was in a manual), and backing around a corner. If you can't pass that, then I'm sorry, but you really shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car....

I could be mistaken in that Canada does produce decent drivers though. In that case good luck! :)

19. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

No, Canada does not produce decent drivers.

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

There are 50 states with different standards. You picked an easy one. I failed three times in Ohio. Of course there was mandatory parallel parking and a station wagon wasn't the easiest beast to park.

21. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Fixed that for you. ;)

Although, my (Ontario) road test didn't go terribly well either. Here's my experience, copy/pasted from a blog entry I wrote that day:

"You listen to the radio at night... you hear all about the collisions that happened at this corner and that corner... accidents that happen because of drivers like you..."

The parting words from my road test instructor. Not very encouraging, huh? Well, what can I say, I was really, really nervous. Once I made a mistake which I thought was killer for sure, my concentration broke and I got distracted... leading to more mistakes.

The beginning of the test went OK, I guess -- drive into the compound, do a three-point turn, parallel park behind that concrete block (yeah, like I'll ever want to do that in real life...) It was the driving in real traffic part that got me nervous.

Let's see... I exercised bad judgement when I slammed the brakes at a yellow light, trying to stop when there was no way I could have stopped in time. Realizing this, I let up on the brakes and sped up again, lurching through the intersection just as the light turned red. That was the big "OH, CRAP!" that got me thinking, crap, I've failed this test for sure. From that moment on all I could think about was how I'd failed for sure and I'd have to do it all over again in 10 days [or my G1 permit would expire and I'd have to start all over again]...

Which led to more mistakes. Speeding while trying to change lanes. Guessing at speed limits for some streets that we went into (that's a 50 km/h zone, right?). Running out of on-ramp before finally being able to merge into the (rush hour!) traffic on the Parkway. Failing to properly signal when I left the Parkway. Not noticing that the light I was waiting on had turned green (!!!) and having the instructor say, "Uh, the light is green..." Almost rolling through a stop sign because I was so bewildered.

And apparently all my left turns are flawed.

You know what the scariest part of all of this is? I passed.

22. benbondu macrumors regular

When you check your mirrors, make sure you physically turn your head enough that it's clearly noticeable. The evaluator won't be able to tell if you're looking out of the corner of your eye.

23. Smith_c, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  24. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I find it facinating that you resurrected a 7 year old thread with a newly made account to complain about your driving test injustice. Perhaps wasting your time with this kind of thing you'd should be out practicing youdriving skills. This is all one biased description and very few people live in your area to have signatures be relevant.

Retake the test and pass it like a normal person. You won't get justice anytime soon attempting to go a legal route here. I can only imagine if you did not pass it's because you didn't deserve to or you did something to really piss off the proctor.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I wonder if the OP passed his/her test? ;)