Rocketfish Bluetooth Laser Mouse-Big Thumbs Up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by docprego, Jul 25, 2008.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

I am one of those people who just dislike the Mighty Mouse. I can't stand the single click nature of it where you have to lift your left finger up in order to right click. I am also really tired of blowing compressed air into the scroll ball on my wired Mighty Mouse when it jams up every 2 weeks.

So I read a few good reviews of the Rocketfish Bluetooth mouse and since it was on sale I figured why not. First of all this mouse was clearly developed with the Mac in mind. The outside of the package says "for iMac/PC". However the instruction book inside the package calls it an "Apple Bluetooth Mouse". And it certainly is Mac like. It looks very much like a wireless MM but it is quite a bit taller and features a scroll wheel instead of the ball.

The fit in my hand is more comfortable than the MM. I love the fact that it has a scroll wheel, and it gives a satisfying click on each roll. If you like the silent/smooth Microsoft scroll wheel style then this is not for you. It is more like the Logitech click click click scroll wheel style, and that is what I prefer. Another awesome thing about the scroll wheel is that it supports left and right scrolling by tilting the wheel in either direction. This too is engaged with a satisfying click in each direction. Finally the third button achieved by pressing the mouse wheel down again clicks very well and works great. Interesting the left and right mouse buttons are a more subdued type of click that is also really nice.

Tracking has been excellent, much better than the wireless MM this replaced. For $35 on sale right now this is a steal. My only complaint is that the battery meter in the Bluetooth preferences does not work at all, I guess that was a MM feature. Regardless this is a terrific option for Mac users and is highly recommended.

2. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

That's good news! My MM is really starting to irk me, some times the right click isn't recognized, which just really bothers me. How is battery life on the Rocketfish? Granted, I'm sure the batteries are fairly fresh yet, but could you give an update later on?

3. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Sure thing. I wish there was a battery meter like the MM has. I guess when the batteries die I will post how many days they lasted. I am not turning it off overnight either to see if there is some sort of power management system built in.

4. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

still not dead? Do they come with rechargable batteries? Does it have a dock to charge them?

5. maczod macrumors member

I highly recommend the Logitech vs450. The USB receiver is super tiny!

6. Hubert Brutal macrumors newbie

yes, i have had the rocketfish bluetooth mouse for about a month now and i have not yet needed to replace the batteries (2 double As). I turn it off over night or when i know i wont be using it much. i also recommend this accessory to anyone owning an Apple laptop. it works flawlessly with the integrated bluetooth capabilities of my MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

GET IT SON!

7. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Rocketfish take AAA's? Because if it still hasn't died on you yet, that's very impressive.

8. Hubert Brutal macrumors newbie

Yeah my bad... it takes AAA and no it hasn't died on me yet. Shows since i didnt even know what kind of batteries it took :(

9. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

Hey, not a problem, that only goes to show that the Rocketfish has really good battery life. I think after my MM tanks out on me, I'll probably pick up a Rocketfish!

10. PaulMoore macrumors regular

After some hunting for a good MM alternative (my wife needs two separate buttons) I've gone with the Rocketfish, and on the first day it's so far so good. Hopefully the battery life will be OK.

11. btrotter macrumors newbie

Would you mind looking at this link from Best Buy and telling me which of the mice you bought?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=rocketfish+mouse&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

Looking at their site, I only show the top mouse as being a Bluetooth mouse, and the 4th one down listed as a 2.4Ghz mouse. Yet when you look at their Bluetooth Mouse+Keyboard combo close to the bottom, it shows the 2.4Ghz mouse in the kit, not the mouse that I thought was the Bluetooth mouse.

I am looking to replace my Apple MM on my iMac, and was wanting to check this one out.
    I currently have a Logitech MX1000 on my Windows PC, and love the ergonomics of it, plus the extra buttons on the side for going forward/backward on web pages, and such. I am just trying to decide on whether to use the Logitech, or go for the Rocketfish Bluetooth mouse.
    The top mouse on Best Buy's website seems like a super basic mouse with no extra programmable buttons, whereas the 2.4Ghz mouse does. Just wanting to make sure I know which one is the mouse you are referring to.

Thanks!

12. fhall1 macrumors 68030

fhall1

I would say the 4th one down is not Bluetooth....no mention of it in the specs or by any of the reviewers.

13. PaulMoore macrumors regular

14. Hubert Brutal macrumors newbie

UPDATE: Its been about a month and 10 days and still no need to change the batteries yet. I have even been leaving the mouse on when not in use.

15. btrotter macrumors newbie

Great, thank you.
    I went ahead and moved the Logitech MX1000 over to the Mac and replaced the MM with it. I really like the thumb buttons and the "whole hand" feel to it.

16. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

I've had my Rocketfish bluetooth mouse for around two weeks now and the batteries are still going strong. I'm always forgetting to turn it off at night too. I'm seriously considering buying another one for work/travel. :)

17. kidbisdes macrumors newbie

Thumbs sideways?

I've had this mouse about three months now and have LOVED it.

BUT... for the last couple weeks something REALLY annoying has been happening. About once a minute (sometimes less, sometimes more) the pointer will inexplicably "jump" to the top left corner and I have to move the mouse around to get it back to where I was on the screen.

No idea what's up... it could be Bluetooth interference, but I didn't have this problem a few weeks ago. Why would it develop all of a sudden. No clue what to do. May be done with it....:confused:

18. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Since you only had it a couple of weeks you are still within the return period. Swap it for another one, see if that resolves it.

19. Hubert Brutal macrumors newbie

He has had the mouse for 3 months. The arrow jump has happened in the past couple weeks. Anyway I think the Rocketfish has a 1 year limited warranty. It would be possible to swap.

I don't know if i like this... could it be the batteries dying? Quite possibly it may be losing connection and the pointer goes back to its default position before it makes a connection again. Idk I just hope I havent been talking up a crap product :/ I'm willing to see though, it could just be a fluke?

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

looks nice, but I'm used to 8 buttons and would actually like two more. If/when someone makes a BT mouse like that, I'll buy it (a BT version of the VX revolution would do the trick).

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The MM is a great mouse, what really irks me is that you really have to abuse the scroll ball for it to not function properly. My local college has a whole lab of imacs with MMs and only a few don't scroll properly, and none of the mice or keyboards were cleaned in 3 years. so quit complaining... mine is fine and so are my various 20-30 friends who have the wired version for pcs...

22. haze macrumors regular

different strokes for different folks. in my mac lab i have constant issues with the mighty mouse scroll ball locking up and i allow no food, not to mention half the lab is the aluminum imacs. side by side with matte whites, the glossy alum screen blows.

not to mention my mm at home scroll ball never works, hence following this thread for alternative.

23. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

Also, take into account that peoples' hands sweat differently. Mine hardly sweat, while some peoples' hands may sweat profusely. It also depends on how much time people spend on their MMs, and how much they use the scroll ball versus using page up & down or the arrow keys. More variables than a Calculus exam.

24. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

The scroll ball on all of my mighty mice require regular cleaning with compressed air, they fail consistently.

25. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

As a side note, I've noticed that the wired MM seems to be more sensitive to accidental squeezes/scrollball clicks than the BT MM. Anyone else notice this?