Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
We have an interesting radio station here in Sacramento. It's alternative rock.

http://www.radio947.net/

No DJ's, light on the commercials, but feedback driven. During any song you can text them like/dislike/more/less and they fine tune the station as it goes.

The dislike really works to the point if any song gets too many dislikes, they kill it. Even in the middle of the song. The song "Habits" by Tove Lo got killed in the middle of the song when it was still in the height of it's popularity among other stations.

Also, they play new stuff all the time. It happens quite often to hear a song debut on 94.7 a month up to 6 months before it gains momentum on other stations.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Saw ZZ Top tonight at the Houston Rodeo. Almost sold out and that's a big stadium. Wow are they old, but they can still play, playing most of their hits. :) We were up on the Club level, so we were watching our monitors and looking at the colorful ants down on the stage. :D

ZZTopMarch2017.jpg
21Mar17 NRG Stadium, Houston

I found this pic this morning:

ZZ-Top-Before-Beards-GettyImages-630-74301941-jpg_160509.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bbrks and Tomorrow

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Led Zepplin Black Dog (1971)- The studio version is better, a prime example of an incredible rock song. :)

Remastered better? A bit sharper sounding.

A difficult song for guitar lead. I'm not surprised the studio version is better.​

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Ya I can't notice much difference between the original tapes and remasters. Besides a money grab what was the condition of the master tapes.
[doublepost=1502814981][/doublepost]Speaking of rock being dead. Elvis died 40 years ago today.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ya I can't notice much difference between the original tapes and remasters. Besides a money grab what was the condition of the master tapes.
[doublepost=1502814981][/doublepost]Speaking of rock being dead. Elvis died 40 years ago today.
A second listen and the remastered version seems a bit sharper sounding on the vocals. :)

When Elvis was in his prime, I was 3-7 years old. :p Based on your comment:

070a67ca54831a9f02541f76a8c5ec71_large.jpeg

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
If I had a choice between them or REO Speedwagon, I'd go with REO. Journey's got a handful of really good songs and a lot that don't really go with their message. We went to see Neil Diamond at the Greek back in 2012. It was an amazing experience.

Styx was a favorite of mine in those days, too. ACDC, Poison, Aerosmith, etc. Good times. Great times. Fantastic memories.

Seeing all these bands you knew and grew up with is great. It's not as cheap as it was then, but the price of admission is worth it.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If I had a choice between them or REO Speedwagon, I'd go with REO. Journey's got a handful of really good songs and a lot that don't really go with their message. We went to see Neil Diamond at the Greek back in 2012. It was an amazing experience.

Styx was a favorite of mine in those days, too. ACDC, Poison, Aerosmith, etc. Good times. Great times. Fantastic memories.

Seeing all these bands you knew and grew up with is great. It's not as cheap as it was then, but the price of admission is worth it.

It was 30 years, a golden age of music. Saw Styx, Kansas, and Eddie Money at the dog track in Shackopee, Minnesota in the 90’s, outstanding. AC/DC and Aerosmith are amazing. I was a huge fan of Neil Diamond, but I could never like his live albums, because I was so imprinted on the studio versions of his hits and he tended to improvise during his concerts. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Heard this morning on the only local rock dedicated station left. You’ll be hard pressed to find anything approximating this kind of brilliant 60s acid rock. It no longer exists, a golden aged has passed:
All Along The Watchtower​

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Heard this morning on the only local rock dedicated station left. You’ll be hard pressed to find anything approximating this kind of brilliant 60s acid rock. It no longer exists, a golden aged has passed:

But, @Huntn - I've spent the past three hours listening to The Beatles (including Sgt Pepper's twice from start to finish) a question: Is music how the young and (sometimes angry) alienated kids express themselves these days? I think not.

Rather, I think - or rather, I suspect - that social media has sucked up, hoovered up, devoured - some of this burbling creativity, and much of the creative energy of the young.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
But, @Huntn - I've spent the past three hours listening to The Beatles (including Sgt Pepper's twice from start to finish) a question: Is music how the young and (sometimes angry) alienated kids express themselves these days? I think not.

Rather, I think - or rather, I suspect - that social media has sucked up, hoovered up, devoured - some of this burbling creativity, and much of the creative energy of the young.

I love the Beatles. Abbey Road, my favorite. I’ve personally labeled that the best Album ever, it’s like taking an incredible journey. :)

You may be right, but the millenials are supposed to be angry! ;) What passes for pop music today at least in the markets I’ve had the opporunity to listen to, is heavy duty, over reliance on neutral synthesized voices singing mundane crap.

Yes, my opinion hopefully not based on me being old, living in the past, and crotichy in my ways and music expectations. I actually believe it was superior before. However, I will conceded, that I’m not all that exposed to what is available. It’s when I flip through the radio channels searching for magic, I get this sinking feeling and end up stopping on 30-50 year old music.

One of the biggest losses today are the rich diversity of human voices that seem to be absent, instead relying on artificial manipulation of the human voice. The music itself has also taken a hit. Is there no originality left? Btw, rap is all the same. There maybe different stories to tell but it all comes out with the exact same sound, monotonous rapid speaking, a failure for music imo.

The most recent group I’ve listened to and enjoyed was Smash Mouth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I love the Beatles. Abbey Road, my favorite. :)

You may be right, but the millenials are supposed to be angry! ;) Whar passes for pop music today at least in the markets I’ve had the opporunity to listen to, is heavy duty, over reliance on neutral synthesized voices singing mundane crap.

Yes, my opinion hopefully not based on me being old, living in the past, and crotichy in my ways and music expectations. I actually believe it was superior before. However, I will conceded, that I’m not all that exposed to what is available. It’s when I flip through the radio channels searching for magic, I get this sinking feeling and end up stopping on 30-50 year old music.

One of the biggest losses today are the rich diversity of human voices that seem to be absent, instead relying on artificial manipulation of the human voice. The music itself has also taken a hit. Is there no originality left? Btw, rap is all the same. There maybe different stories to tell but it all comes out with the exact same sound, monotonous rapid speaking, a failure for music imo.

The most recent group I’ve listened to and enjoyed was Smash Mouth.

Funny you should mention Abbey Road, as this is exactly what I am now listening to just now.....(having already listened to The White Album, Rubber Soul, and - as I have already noted - Sgt Pepper's - twice, earlier this evening).

I tend to agree with you - notwithstanding "being old, living in the past, and crotchety in my ways and musical expectations " (amen to that) - and my eclectic musical tastes run from somewhere in the thirteenth century up to somewhere around the 1990s, or maybe a little later.

However, I think it is that they do not choose to express themselves musically, but - also - I suspect because the music industry (as is the case with the stupefyingly torpid movie industry) has chosen to invest in - and support - that which is safe, predictable, (and frankly, boring) but which is safely and reliably profitable.

And radio stations which (are obliged to) play stupid, tediously safe and unimaginative "playlists" are also culpable.

At the end of the day, it is a business, not a creative enterprise, and this business was supported by vast sums injected into marketing rather than supporting genuinely creative (and sometimes demanding and bloody difficult) artists. Who wants "difficult" when they could have - say - polite boy bands - whose music was written for them - a guaranteed money spinner for a few years?

A very telling example - for me - was the decision by the BBC to end TOTP (Top Of The Pops) in 2006; when I was an undergrad, it was unheard of to start the weekly debating society debates (usually held on a Thursday) until TOTP was well over; it was assumed (correctly) that we would all want to watch it.

Actually, I think the youngsters have walked away from it (making music as an expression of creativity).

Alas, I also suspect that a new - challenging - angry sound (such as punk) would never break through nowadays - not via traditional channels.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Funny you should mention Abbey Road, as this is exactly what I am now listening to just now.....(having already listened to The White Album, Rubber Soul, and - as I have already noted - Sgt Pepper's - twice, already this evening).

I tend to agree with you - notwithstanding "being old, living in the past, and crotchety in my ways and musical expectations " (amen to that) - and my eclectic musical tastes run from somewhere in the thirteenth century up to somewhere around the 1990s, or maybe a little later.

However, I think it is that they do not choose to express themselves musically, but- also - I suspect because the music industry (as as the movie industry) has chosen to invest in - and support - that which is safe, predictable, (and frankly, boring) but which is safely and reliably profitable.

And radio stations which (are obliged to) play stupid, tediously safe and unimaginative "playlists" are also culpable.

At the end of the day, it is a business, not a creative enterprise, and this business was supported by vast sums injected into marketing rather than supporting genuinely creative (and sometimes demanding and bloody difficult) artists. Who wants "difficult" when they could have - say - polite boy bands - whose much was written for them - a guaranteed money spinner for a few years?

A very telling example - for me - was the decision by the BBC to end TOTP (Top Of The Pops) in 2006; when I was an undergrad, it was unheard of to start the weekly debating society debates (usually held on a Thursday) until TOTP was well over; it was assumed (correctly) that we would all want to watch it.

Actually, I think the youngsters have walked away from it (making music as an expression of creativity).

Alas, I suspect that a new - challenging - angry sound (such as punk) would never break through nowadays - not via traditional channels.
Yes, I can agree about the business vs creative aspect that you cite. :( For myself, I like many genres of music, if that is the right term, classical, jazz, rock, bluegrass, blues, new age (a form of jazz), country. It’s interesting how much Rock bands were influenced by Blues.

I asked my son who liked Rammstein in 1999, do you think you’ll be listening to this in ten years? He thought so at the time, but ended up listening to 60-80s Rock like his Dad. I certainly exposed him to it. :)
[doublepost=1514745688][/doublepost]@Scepticalscribe, regarding music cross pollination a couple days ago on NPR, a Texan harmonica player was interviewed about how he interacted with the Beatles in their early days. He was touring Europe with... mm I forget, some US country band, maybe Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard, :oops: but ended up talking to one of the Beatles back stage, which soon after a harmonica was a prominently featured in Love Me Do.

I remember listening to Ring of Fire in 1963 on my battery powered Japanese transistor radio. :)

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, I can agree about the business vs creative aspect that you cite. :( For myself, I like many genres of music, if that is the right term, classical, jazz, rock, bluegrass, blues, new age (a form of jazz), country. It’s interesting how much Rock bands were influenced by Blues.

I asked my son who liked Rammstein in 1999, do you think you’ll be listening to this in ten years? He thought so at the time, but ended up listening to 60-80s Rock like his Dad. I certainly exposed him to it. :)
[doublepost=1514745688][/doublepost]@Scepticalscribe, regarding music cross pollination a couple days ago on NPR, a Texan harmonica player was interviewed about how he interacted with the Beatles in their early days. He was touring Europe with... mm I forget, some US country band, maybe Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard, :oops: but ended up talking to one of the Beatles back stage, which soon after a harmonica was a prominently featured in Love Me Do.

I remember listening to Ring of Fire in 1963 on my battery powered Japanese transistor radio. :)

The Beatles were very eclectic in where they took their musical influences (and expression ) from, and, as they became more confident and successful were a lot more open about such things.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This week on NPR they have been celebrating the Woodstock Music Festival’s 50th anniversary. I was 16 at the time and did not attend. :) Many powerful performances. Do you have any Woodstock favorite performances?

I believe this was followed by:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For any of you in the Houston area who laments the limited rock’n roll play list on The Eagle, Houston’s only classic rock’n roll station, even SiriusFM has a repetitive play list. I found The Spot 95.7 who plays an almost completely worthy list of music I like. I’m sure it’s repetitive after a while, but another avenue to listen. :) I don’t know if the Spot is found in other Cities. Driving home from the gym listened to:
What’s really annoying is that You Tube is now flashing annoying ads in the middle of their video playback.

Dream On- Aerosmith

Roam- B52s

Need You Tonight- INXS

All Star- Smashmouth​

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

I always wanted to see Styx in concert, but once I heard they can't sing or play half of their songs, I was pretty bummed.

We have seen Aerosmith a few times, one time was back stage and another was in the press lane that is right in front of the stage. The two shows I have seen with them, I thought they sounded absolutely fantastic.

Saw Reo Speedwagon at a JACK FM show and they freaking killed it! Holy smokes did they sound good. Not a lot of energy on stage, but they sound and vocals were freaking killer!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I always wanted to see Styx in concert, but once I heard they can't sing or play half of their songs, I was pretty bummed.

We have seen Aerosmith a few times, one time was back stage and another was in the press lane that is right in front of the stage. The two shows I have seen with them, I thought they sounded absolutely fantastic.

Saw Reo Speedwagon at a JACK FM show and they freaking killed it! Holy smokes did they sound good. Not a lot of energy on stage, but they sound and vocals were freaking killer!
We saw Styx, Kansas, and Eddie Money back around 2000 at the Shakope Race Track, Shakope, Minnesota. Hard to believe it was that long ago, and they were old then! :) We had cheap Aerosmith tickets, and forgot we had them, and when we remembered decided to pass because of some conflicting plans. ? The best concert by far was an early millenial Eagles Concert, which was like seeing 3 bands in one. :D

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
I love Rock music. But I avoid "Classic Rock" stations like the plague. Why?

Because I've heard pretty much every track on their daily playlists about a thousand times and, unless the mood or circumstances call for it, I don't need to hear them again.

Take a look at this list of the Top 15 Most played Classic Rock songs. They are all good songs - but I'm borderline sick of most of them.

The only time I listen to music on FM radio is if I happen to catch one of the curated shows presenting new music in genres I like. If you never listen to new music, or at least music thats new to you, then you end up fossilizing in your musical tastes. Frozen in time. And thats not a good place to be.

Don't be a dinosaur. Because "Classic Rock" radio stations are what killed Rock Music - not rap, country, or anything else.

I’ve heard them all a thousand times too, but there are new generations of listeners who never heard them before. So it’s brand new to those ears who may have the same enthusiasm for those songs as older listeners did back when they were first released.

The main reason why rock isn’t as dominant as it was back then has more to do with the music industry than lack of current talent of which these days there is plenty who have the advantage of further iterating on everything previously created. PBS ran a series back in the early 2000s called “the way the music died” which outlined the changes that occurred to the music industry behind the scenes over the years. It’s still true today and it’s only gotten much worse. Whereas talent and creativity drove the industry in the past, now it only driven solely by maximizing profit. Nothing wrong with that except the music industry these days seems to regard talent and marketing as mutually exclusive.

An amplified guitar in the right hands is one of the most emotionally expressive instruments ever created. And emotional expression is the pillar of great music regardless of generation, mine yours or anyone else’s.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Funny you should mention Abbey Road, as this is exactly what I am now listening to just now.....(having already listened to The White Album, Rubber Soul, and - as I have already noted - Sgt Pepper's - twice, earlier this evening).

However, I think it is that they do not choose to express themselves musically, but - also - I suspect because the music industry (as is the case with the stupefyingly torpid movie industry) has chosen to invest in - and support - that which is safe, predictable, (and frankly, boring) but which is safely and reliably profitable.

At the end of the day, it is a business, not a creative enterprise, and this business was supported by vast sums injected into marketing rather than supporting genuinely creative (and sometimes demanding and bloody difficult) artists. Who wants "difficult" when they could have - say - polite boy bands - whose music was written for them - a guaranteed money spinner for a few years?

Alas, I also suspect that a new - challenging - angry sound (such as punk) would never break through nowadays - not via traditional channels.
When I was in college, 1971ish, I discovered among other things marijuana, the only illicit drug I consumed on occasion. Cannabis changes my perception in a very different way as compared to alcohol. It’s almost like seeing or hearing something in a completely new light. A Mary Jane high catapulted Abbey Road to being my favorite album of all time. It maintains that position 50 years later, more importantly I enjoy listening to it sober. It must be listened to in it’s entirety, it’s a sum splendor based on the culmination of all of its parts, it’s going on an adventure! ???????‍♂️ ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.