Rocksmith 2014

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Huntn, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Huntn, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Option 1: Anyone using this game/teaching video running it through a guitar amp using the xbox component cable and a 1/4" male to dual female RCA Y adapter?

Option 2: In the instructions, they show one method of hooking up the component audio to a headset, but I have to find the proper Y adapter that includes dual female RCA to single female headset jack. Could anyone point me at one?

Thanks!
    Merry Christmas! :)

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Probably found it by now but I'm guessing you mean this or this.

3. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

I had found one for use with a guitar amp using a 1/4" male stereo plug, but not this for a headset, so thanks! :)

I'm just hoping that the guitar amp setup works with Rocksmith. Anyone know for sure?

4. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

In practice it should work but what is recommended for mixing two signals to a mono one is a "summing adaptor". I don't know if they are sold I've just seen a lot of people build their own adding resistances here and there…
    But you could try with the adaptor and see the results for yourself, if it's good enough etc… otherwise you will need to "sum" the outputs via the DIY-adapter I describe.

But also you are using a real guitar with this game right? I assume you probably don't have much pedals and/or are still learning but it would be best, IMHO, to just use an ABY box, that is, connecting the guitar to the box, then A to the AMP and B to the Xbox (I assume this game uses some kind of adaptor thingy eh?), and in that case you'd have the lowest latency as possible and it should work fine.
    But an ABY box is not 10 bucks and you'd require a couple extra TS cables… but leaving it there so you know this is another option that should work.

I bring up the "still learning" part because well if you have looper pedals or similar you can already try the proposed setup above, without incurring into cost… but then that's when you become a pedal junkie, and people starting up usually would have to go and buy the ABY box and such..

5. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

Yes, "game" requires a real guitar. I've played before, gave it up, and thought this might be fun. I'll report back how it works. :)

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not to threadjack, but I've always wanted to learn to play guitar and have never played one in my life (well, I have screwed around with them before but I wouldn't know a D chord from my own ass), would Rocksmith actually teach me or is it designed for people who already know? Next question is, what's a good guitar to learn with? Something cheap, I'm not exactly trying to be the next Jimi Hendrix here.

7. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I've feel intrigued TBH with this game because I always feel like games such as Tap Tap -something and "Guitar Hero" are a bit laughable, since I play the real deal (but so would be FIFA/PES, that I love yet I suck at soccer in real life, so point invalid I guess), but this could be fun, since you plug in your axe and stuff…

About Rocksmith I ain't sure as you imagine from this thread I don't really know it, so Huntn could help with that one.
    In the end you could just pay for lessons which should be the most effective, but there are good online lessons, that if I'd have to recommend would be Berklee's (by William Leavitt) and Lick Library (by Andy James). The latter being a bit more advanced.
    The guitar depends… there are advantages to start with an acoustic, but there's no problem in picking up an electric one as your first one really…
    The best advice without breaking the bank, would be to think of some good songs you'd like to learn and from observation you think would be complicated sound and technically-wise, then step into a music shop and ask one of the salesman (aka aspiring musicians in disguise of underpaid employees) to try the cheap guitars for you and play some licks here and there. If you see the guitar sounds good enough on the amp it comes with (it's usually a cheap 10w amp and the like), then you met your goal, pay in the register and take it home. I'm not going to really delve into all there is to pick up a guitar because there is so much to go on and so much money you could end up spending… so that's my quick elevator-chat advice. The premise is that, since you are unsure about getting an expensive guitar, which also equals an expensive amp usually to match it, and that could take you from 1,2 grand to infinite, then it's a safe idea to buy one of the starter kits, but making sure it sounds good enough that it will take you a while before you start thinking of investing in the next thing, shall you enjoy the hobby and get proficient in your playing.

8. Huntn, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

I worked on playing guitar for 2 years and threw in the towel after being frustrated with my progress. I was traveling a lot, had a travel guitar and used the Learn and Master Guitar program a series of DVDs. It is good from the standpoint of teaching you to read music, but the problem with it is that it was not focused on teaching good motivating songs imo. They have tried to remedy that with a supplemental program. So after 2 years not playing guitar, this program seemed like it could be fun and possibly spark my interest back into guitar. A side note, I see the value of lessons with a real player, for feedback... but that cost money. ;)

For Rocksmith, I've got the proper connection gear, (see the second post) a 1/4 male to dual female RCA coupler, an Xbox component cable, and a 1/4 female to female coupler to connect to the amp. If you could find a 1/4 femal to dual RCA coupler, then you'd just need a guitar cord to go from that to the amp. The Rocksmith instructions show the ideal setups for the program. If let audio go through your TV, there is the possibility of audio lag. I've found out that the setup I described will work through a guitar amp coming from the xbox. A real guitar is plugged into the xbox via the included cable (with a 1/4" jack on one end and a USB connector on the other).

Just started with this program, but have not yet used it enough to rate it. It has a built in guitar tuner, which is handy and it starts with some basics, and gets you into playing guitars songs quickly if you want to, or you can work with the basics section which I recommend especially if you are new to it. There are chords that can be referenced, but for playing a song there is no learning of notes, just rote memorization of what fret, string to hit. Maybe it's there some where, but the intent is to get you playing fast. Learning notes, slows you down. ;)

It starts out slow, with just hitting main notes in a "real song", very much like Guitar Hero, and as you progress it gets more demanding, requiring you to hit more new notes that are displayed, but it won't do that until you progress and do better with the basics. The difference here is that you are playing a real guitar, not a toy. Of note, the song selection is decent, but limited. I have not yet checked to see what content is downloadable and how much it costs.

There is no "position one learning" (at the top of the guitar neck), immediately you are moving up and down the neck and I imagine if you've not played any guitar this will be challenging along with hitting clean notes, although the program does look for this and tells you when your messing up. What is really annoying is it's tendency to say "great job" when I am at 75% accuracy. I know... it's motivating me. :p

The first thing you have to get the hang of is getting used to moving your hand up and down the neck and hitting the proper strings. In recognition of this, there are controls to slow the song down, because what you end up doing is looking at the screen for the next note, and then finding that note on your guitar. Muscle memory will develop fast, but until it does, you'll mess up lots, at least I do. Some previous experience with guitar playing is a definite plus. For a novice i imagine this to be challenging, but not impossible. Dedication for guitar playing is required regardless of the method of learning.

And my fingers are sore as hell, but that will get better if you stick with it. :p Btw, you should stop when your fingers hurt. You don't want to develop blisters.

Anyway I'll forge on for now and will report back later after I have mastered a song. Looking online Jam Play seems like it has potential, but it is $20 per month...

9. vrDrew, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

vrDrew macrumors 65816

I've owned my guitar for about fifteen months. While I've enjoyed noodling around with it, learned a couple (literally) of songs well enough to play them "recognizably" - I wasn't totally happy with my progress.

I saw Rocksmith advertised leading up to Christmas, and ended up buying it. After playing with it for a week here is my take away:

1) Whatever its merits as a teaching tool, you will have to get some other instruction from somewhere. There simply is not enough on the basics of forming chords cleanly, getting your fingers into position, etc. I came to the game having this down - but someone just picking up a guitar would probably struggle for a long time to make a decent power chord.

2) I have mixed feelings about the "Guitarcade" games. On one hand they are a good means of encouraging people to do the sometimes tedious work of exercises. On the other, I keep in mind my goal is to actually play better - not improve my leaderboard position for StarChords.

3) The tone coming out of the speakers seems excellent. The designers of the game got that part right.

4) I can tell I had developed bad habits practicing on my own. I can already tell I'm picking without looking at my right hand far more.

5) Simply working out what the various on-screen symbols took me a day or two.

6) I like the "Riff Repeater" function that lets you work on a small section of a song. But I do sometimes long for a printed Tab so I can figure out - and practice at my own pace - what I'm supposed to be doing.

7) The onscreen tuning tool is great. I've always stayed away from songs in Drop D, etc. because it seemed too much hassle. No longer. (On the flip side, I've just broken my first ever low E string.......)

8) This is definitely a game for the Rock/Metal enthusiast. If your goal is to play acoustic folk/country fingerstyle at your neighborhood vegan coffee shop - not the game/tool for you.

I think the real test will be where I am five months from now. I can tell I'm making progress. But I'm still pretty sure I won't be ready for paying gigs.

10. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

So a year later, I'd love to hear where you are on this.

I picked up Rocksmith last year, but really got serious about it a couple months ago. Here are my takeaways:

1) You're totally right about needing additional instruction. I've found on some songs that I'm not clear what fingers I should be using, or--more importantly--how I should be strumming. It just doesn't relay proper rhythm per song much at all.

2) That said, I've NEVER been more enticed to practice. The variety of songs, jamming, games and challenges keeps every session fresh.

3) I got a second cord and play sometimes with a friend or family member. That's really fun.

4) I disagree about the Guitarcade games. The Saloon game has helped me tremendously when it comes to switching strings without looking. The Duck game and Ninja Slide has helped me when it comes to switching frets. And the racing game has pretty much solidified a pentatonic scale in my brain.

5) If you haven't yet, grab the Rocksmith strings from Amazon. There's a company that creates quality color strings that match the game. They're super helpful and look great. Just search fro Rocksmith strings.

6) The game isn't perfect about progressing you appropriately. I'm surprised how one day I can play a song great and the next day it makes it so hard that I can't keep up for anything. They need a slower progression scale.

7) I REALLY wish they could make the DLC songs work cross-platform. I'm sure contract agreements will keep that from ever happening, but it would be nice.

8) Oh, and we need more 80s tunes.