Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Rogers Denies Canada iPhone Rumors

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

According to CBC News, Rogers is backtracking heavily on previous claims that it would be the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in Canada.

"We haven't announced whether we will carry the iPhone," Odette Coleman, manager of corporate communications for Rogers Wireless, said in an e-mail to CBC News Online. "Everything in the media has been speculations to this point. The only fact is that we are the only GSM carrier in Canada. That's the only fact."

In reality, the company DID state the following in an January email to subscribers:

Rogers is actively working with Apple to launch the iPhone in Canada as soon as possible and will be the exclusive provider of the iPhone in Canada

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Why would they try to hide something that they already revealed and how is this news? :confused:

Comment

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
speaking as an ex-client of Rogers, i must state that they are one of the worst companies i've ever had to deal with. maybe Apple realized that and backed out of talks with them.

Comment

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
speaking as an ex-client of Rogers, i must state that they are one of the worst companies i've ever had to deal with. maybe Apple realized that and backed out of talks with them.

Yeah, Rogers sucks (their torrent broadband torrent throttling was the most annoying thing for me), but unfortunately they're the only GSM operator in Canada.

It's Rogers or no iPhone for Canada, unfortunately. :(

Comment

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
speaking as an ex-client of Rogers, i must state that they are one of the worst service providers i've ever had to deal with. maybe Apple realized that and backed out of talks with them.
Seconded. They don't honor their written terms of service and continue to bill you after they've stopped fulfilling their part, even after receiving an official letter identifying their breach of contract and the resultant nullification of same. They also refuse to respond to BBB complaints.

They're a bunch of criminals. Worse than all the US carriers I've used, and that's saying something as a former Verizon customer.

Comment

dantehicks42

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2007
First, I've never seen a good Wireless company. I've lived in Canada and the USA and I'm still trying to find a decent cell phone provider. Anyway, this is not the point...

Second, if you read carefully, Rogers first stated they were actively working with Apple the carry the iPhone. This did not mean in any way they had an exclusive deal with Apple.

Third Apple is renowned for being very greedy. They are trying to get a cut of the cell phone market. If Cingular is any indication, they had to fore go a chunk of the profit by new customers to Apple. Rogers may not be too inclined to a deal like this and they might be the ones backing out of the deal, not Apple. Rogers may have crappy service like every other companies, but they are the largest network in Canada.

I guess we'll see when it happens. I have a bad feeling about the iPhone. A lot of hype, not a lot of promises and a product already old technology wise...I hope it works, but I have my doubts.

Comment

mikedotca

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2007
A few weeks back I asked an operator about upgrading and about the iPhone. She informed me that Rogers would be carrying, but not until December 2007. This could have been speculation, or Rogers probably has poor internal communication, but Apple would never let a leak exist so maybe Rogers was punished.

Apple may be greedy, but Rogers is worst. But trying to compare them to the other cellular carriers in Canada just makes one depressed. It doesn't matter who pulled out really, the real loser is the consumer. Thanks to Rogers have a monopoly over GSM (after buying Fido), Apple would have to build the phones specially for Canada. And Apple just isn't that nice toward Canada, an example of which is the late to the market and stunted iTunes store.

Rogers recently launched an ad campaign claiming to have the clearest and most reliable network in Canada. If Rogers is going to start outright lying to customers, why not all claim to be getting the iPhone.

Comment

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
Only bad thing about an unlocked iPhone would we wouldnt have the sweet voicemail thing, pretty much that.

Rogers is a pain in the ass. Just wish I could open an account with Cingular have a P.O box in the US have the mail sent to me here in Canada. Same with the credit card.

Canadian's get screwed over every day when it comes to technology.

Comment

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy

Just like the other couple poster who agreed with you, I second your sentiments. Rogers is horrid, whether it's their cable services, cell phone, or anything. Just plain unpleasant experiences.

Comment

Shunnabunich

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The reason why Canadians are screwed over every single day in the technology world is the same reason Europeans are: neither of those markets are located inside the United States, so they may as well exist only in fairy tales for all the importance they have to Americans. (Although it seems some days as if Canada is only a separate entity from the US by way of technicalities.) With a paltry 32.8 million people in the entire country, what's the point? I honestly don't even know why they allow us to have the tech we do.

And yes, Rogers is horrid, but as has been stated already, either Rogers carries the iPhone or Canada does not get the iPhone.

Comment

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
Rogers carrying the iPhone would be like getting a microsoft tattoo.

Comment

redison

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2007
Its about the data charges

Rogers charges an arm and a leg for data downloaded, and after seeing Steves keynote in January at Macworld you just know that you will be downloading a lot with the iPhone!! l personally I think that Apple is in disagreement with the way Rogers charges for data but none of the parties will admit to it. We will see.....

Comment

bradc

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2006
Canader eh

Amen to that!

Yet I do have Rogers Extreme HiSpeed, Cable and Home Phone:confused:

Comment

paulie

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2003
Saskatoon, Canada
I'd wish Shaw would start a GSM service. I've been so much happier with Shaw tv/internet/phone than SaskTel or my Rogers cellphone.

Shaw may be just as expensive as everyone else, but they know customer service, at least here in Saskatoon.

Comment

Scandals

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2004
Canada
Here is exactly what I received directly from Rogers on January 26, 2007:

Dear XXX XXXXXX,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we appreciate your use of
online customer service.

In your recent email, you have informed us that you were wondering if
Rogers was going to offer the iPhone.

Yes it is true. Rogers is excited to say that we will be offering this
unit in the near future. Keep visiting our website for the launch
dates.

We are glad we were able to assist you. If you have any further
questions, please feel free to email us again.

For future reference with respect to this e-mail, please quote reference
number XXXXXXXX.

Regards,
XXXXXX X.
http://www.rogers.com
Online Customer Service​

Comment

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
The reason why Canadians are screwed over every single day in the technology world is the same reason Europeans are: neither of those markets are located inside the United States, so they may as well exist only in fairy tales for all the importance they have to Americans.

Hmmmm... Someone's got a lot to learn about the European mobile phone marketplace. :D ;)

Comment

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
The reason why Canadians are screwed over every single day in the technology world is the same reason Europeans are: neither of those markets are located inside the United States, so they may as well exist only in fairy tales for all the importance they have to Americans. (Although it seems some days as if Canada is only a separate entity from the US by way of technicalities.) With a paltry 32.8 million people in the entire country, what's the point? I honestly don't even know why they allow us to have the tech we do.

http://www.psfk.com/2007/03/three_region_th.html

Do some reading before you make ridiculous remotely speculative comments.

Comment

TheGSpot

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2005
When Fido was bought out by rogers, all cell service in canada kinda went down the tubes (luckily i still have an awesome plan) but the phones are horrible.. the data plans are really bad unless you have a Sidekick 2 (yes i said 2.. not 3.. cause its still not here!) Just awful.. ps.. im canadian hah.

Comment

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
http://www.psfk.com/2007/03/three_region_th.html

Do some reading before you make ridiculous remotely speculative comments.

Interesting read. Too bad it wasn't written a little better, though.

I've been a Rogers customer for about 2 months now. So far, I have no complaints about their services. At any rate, it's disappointing that they're backpedalling. One of my reasons for choosing them as my mobile provider-- at least initially-- was the fact that I could upgrade to an iPhone down the road.

-Squire

Comment

Joseph Duchesne

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2006
I've got the cheapest Rogers phone in the world with the cheapest plan they offer. I'm happy :p
Pay As You Go...
Freedom isn't free...
it costs folks like you and me... ;)

Comment

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
First, I've never seen a good Wireless company. I've lived in Canada and the USA and I'm still trying to find a decent cell phone provider. Anyway, this is not the point...
Not true. In the US, I've had absolutely excellent service with T-Mobile. They were prompt to correct a billing error and they have always had friendly service agents who tried to resolve issues even beyond the norm. When I needed to move to Europe for a year, they released me from my contract even though I still had two months left.

While in Europe, I had no major problems with either O2 or any of the regional providers I used in Italy and Sweden.
Second, if you read carefully, Rogers first stated they were actively working with Apple the carry the iPhone. This did not mean in any way they had an exclusive deal with Apple.
They have an exclusive deal by default. No one else in Canada can carry the iPhone in its announced form, and if Rogers didn't have a deal, they should not have communicated to their customers that they would be carrying the iPhone. Many users have confirmed messages from Rogers to this effect far above and beyond "we're working to bring it to you" (which itself is an inappropriate wording for "we're trying to make a deal with Apple").

Comment

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Same in the UK

First, I've never seen a good Wireless company. I've lived in Canada and the USA and I'm still trying to find a decent cell phone provider.

It's the same in the UK, they all promise mountains, but these corporations are so big, they don't care about 1 customer, when they actually should.

But my biggest complaints are call cost. They are ridiculous, especially when calling internationally (try more than $2,- per minute for starters calling from the US to the UK)....

Why is this? Because, they give away the newest handsets for free with many subscription services, and if you stay with them, they may even 'upgrade' you to a new handset every year or so. These handsets need to be paid for!

I don't want a new handset every year, I want cheaper call rates, and I'll buy my hand set of choice thank you very much, O2, Orange, Virgin Mobile, Vodafone, T Mobile and all the rest of you!!

Comment

Defilla

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2007
Reply from Rogers...

Here is the exact email I received from Rogers yesterday...

Dear Mr. Defilla,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we appreciate your use of
online customer service.

In your recent email, you have informed us that you wish to inquire when
the new Apple iPhone will be available through Rogers.

Description
On Tuesday, January 9, 2007, Apple announced the unveiling of their new
iPhone, a combination mobile phone/digital music player/camera

Availability
" The iPhone will first be introduced in North America
" Cingular is the only wireless carrier to launch the iPhone in the
United States
" Rogers is actively working with Apple to launch the iPhone in Canada
as soon as possible and will be the exclusive provider of the iPhone in
Canada
" Apple is planning to introduce the iPhone in Europe (Q4 2007) and Asia
(2008)
" Please be advised that Rogers will be offering the iPhone exclusively
in Canada
" Launch date and pricing for Canada are not yet available
" Other Canadian wireless carriers will not launch the iPhone, Rogers
will be the only Canadian wireless carrier to offer the iPhone

To learn more about the iPhone, you may visit http://www.apple.com/iphone.

Unfortunately we are unaware when new products and services will be
released until they are launched to the consumer market. We suggest you
visit http://www.rogers.com/phones because when new products are released they
are listed here.

Obviously, this is very 'hot topic' for Rogers and all the interested
people. At this point we can say for sure Rogers is looking into
carrying this phone, however, nothing is written in stone yet. We know
that doesn't offer a hard and fast answer, but it is the most honest
information we have at this time. Keep an eye on our website for any
official releases.

Thank you for contacting Rogers. We appreciate your consideration.

We are pleased to have been able to address your inquiry. You are a
valued customer and we thank you for your business.

Regards,
Rick G.
Rogers Online Customer Service
http://www.rogers.com

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
*** Your Cellular General Inquiry ***

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.