MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Roku has reached an agreement to acquire the rights to content from the now-defunct video streaming service Quibi (via The Wall Street Journal).

quibi.jpg

Roku reportedly paid less than $100 million to acquire the rights to Quibi's library of original content until 2022.

Quibi was a short-form video subscription service launched in April of last year. Executives believed that the service would be able to garner approximately 7.4 million subscribers during its first year, but it massively fell short with an estimated 400,000 to 500,000 subscribers. After courting a number of tech companies, including Apple, to see if it could be sold off, the service announced that it was shutting down in October 2020.

Roku is the biggest streaming media player in the United States, with a library of more than 40,000 movies and TV shows, and the acquisition of Quibi's content will offer a boost of more than 75 shows and documentaries.

Quibi's content will also be among the minority of exclusives on the platform, as the majority of Roku's programming is also viewable elsewhere. The acquisition is expected to give Roku more leverage in negotiations with advertisers, who may pay more to show their ads alongside shows that viewers are unable to see elsewhere.

Article Link: Roku Acquires Rights to Quibi Content for Less Than $100 Million

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apple is in the pay TV streaming business and has their own original content. They could have purchased the rights to this content. Quibi probably approached Apple and tried to make something happen, but failed.

I kind of fell that Roku paid too much for these shows. Few wanted them when they were on Quibi - why would people want them now that they're elsewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: oneteam and efp722
Comment

adamw

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
I do not know if this content is any good, but Roku seems to be trying to get even bigger.

Comment

Cosmosent

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Quibi's strategy was flawed from the Get Go !

They should have focused first on making Tools that End Users could use to craft "innovative" content !

NOT simply using the same Tools that are widely-used for creating Videos.

Ideally, a Hybrid of custom hardware + existing software.

Such tools would be worth a fortune today !

Here, think 2/3 of the way between what can be created with the 12 Pro Max, & what Hollywood can create with their mostly custom Tools, & available for less than the price of the 12 Pro Max !

Comment

Star Brood

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Berlin, Germany
How odd that the service intended to be used on a smartphone vertically or horizontally alike ends up getting dumped into a TV-exclusive bucket.

Roku is not the appropriate distributor of this content. This stuff should've been acquired by Facebook or TikTok so you can have Instagram/TikTok exclusive short movies/shows.

Comment

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Flushing money down the drain.
They paid about 1 million per "show" which can be a movie length.

It's really not a waste at all for all that content. You can't even shoot an episode of a TV drama for 1 million nowadays.

Reactions: Treq
Comment

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
How odd that the service intended to be used on a smartphone vertically or horizontally alike ends up getting dumped into a TV-exclusive bucket.

Roku is not the appropriate distributor of this content. This stuff should've been acquired by Facebook or TikTok so you can have Instagram/TikTok exclusive short movies/shows.
Facebook tired, and failed at original content.

Comment

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Does anyone know someone who uses Roku to any significant level? I know they have a significant share of device shipments due to being baked into low end televisions but I've never heard anyone talking about using Roku as their primary streaming device. Anecdotal, I know. They just seem to me like the Crackle of streaming appliances.

Comment

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Does anyone know someone who uses Roku to any significant level? I know they have a significant share of device shipments due to being baked into low end televisions but I've never heard anyone talking about using Roku as their primary streaming device. Anecdotal, I know. They just seem to me like the Crackle of streaming appliances.
Yeah. Roku is extremely popular.

Comment

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Quibi's strategy was flawed from the Get Go !

They should have focused first on making Tools that End Users could use to craft "innovative" content !

NOT simply using the same Tools that are widely-used for creating Videos.

Ideally, a Hybrid of custom hardware + existing software.

Such tools would be worth a fortune today !

Here, think 2/3 of the way between what can be created with the 12 Pro Max, & what Hollywood can create with their mostly custom Tools, & available for less than the price of the 12 Pro Max !
I don't think so. Their business model was hampered by covid and everyone moving to WFH. Suddenly no one needed a streaming service that only worked on a mobile device. Had they read the tea leaves quicker and brought the product to apple tv/roku/amazon fire/etc sooner, they might have survived.

Comment

MysticCow

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2013

They are the largest in the USA, iThink, and definitely a larger userbase than AppleTV boxes. I mean, Apple had to add AppleTV to the Roku lineup, so that should tell you something there...

Reactions: PC_tech
Comment

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
They are the largest in the USA, iThink, and definitely a larger userbase than AppleTV boxes. I mean, Apple had to add AppleTV to the Roku lineup, so that should tell you something there...

I wouldn't have expected Apple TV to be largest but I would have expected Chromecast or Amazon devices to be far larger in terms of usage (as opposed to device shipments). I've never looked into it though.

Comment

Mac Prodigy

Suspended
Jan 2, 2021
This seems like a pretty good deal, considering the average price of today's tech company acquisitions.

Comment

Mac Prodigy

Suspended
Jan 2, 2021
Do you know what Roku's marketshare is? Everyone of my TV's is a TCL with Roku built in. It is great. And TCL makes very low latency TV's with almost OLED like black levels. You can't beat them for anywhere near their prices.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.