Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors last month reported that Roku was in talks with Apple about supporting AirPlay 2, and we've since learned that the negotiations are nearly finalized, according to a source familiar with the matter.

roku-tv-and-stick-800x494.jpg

AirPlay 2 integration is expected to arrive in the form of a Roku OS software update for Roku media players, but it's unclear if all models will be supported. AirPlay 2 will also be supported by Roku-based smart TVs, available from brands such as TCL, Sharp, Hisense, Hitachi, Sanyo, and RCA.

Back in January, Apple announced that select AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs are coming from leading brands such as Samsung, LG, Vizio, and Sony. AirPlay 2 support on Roku will greatly expand Apple's wireless streaming protocol to virtually any smart TV with a Roku player plugged into the HDMI port.

AirPlay 2 will enable Roku users to stream video, audio, photos, and other content directly from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to their smart TVs.

Apple and Roku are negotiating a launch date and marketing surrounding AirPlay 2. Roku has yet to publicly confirm the plans, with a spokesperson earlier indicating that "we don't have anything to share regarding this now."

Article Link: Roku Has Nearly Finalized AirPlay 2 Support

Last edited:

randyhudson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
USA
My 2018 Samsung TV still doesn't have airplay. I'd be happy if they just fixed the HDMI ARC first, so I didn't have to unplug it every few days to get audio to work with Netflix/Prime.

Reactions: Darkwalker

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Sounds awesome. Those with a Roku 3, have you had problems with the batteries on the remote draining the batteries in just a few days? I found a lot of discussions on it. Seems to be a widespread issue that is making it a pain to use my roku.

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
Hope it drives the cost down of the overpriced AppleTV. I love it but cannot justify the price difference over the Roku.
As someone who uses appletv as their main video consumption device and as a HomeKit hub it’s worth every penny. I have a regular 4th generation in the bed room and a 4K one in the reliving room. I’ve been able to get rid of traditional cable and save money monthly no longer needing to pay equipment fees

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Hope it drives the cost down of the overpriced AppleTV. I love it but cannot justify the price difference over the Roku.

Apple TV is over priced. If you got one during the free Apple TV promotion from DirectTV it was perfectly priced! Now having owned both Apple TV and Roku, the Apple TV is MUCH better (especially without all those ads on the main screen). However, for most people the Apple TV price isn't worth it over a $40 Roku streamer.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Since no one is adapting Apple hardware or software in their TVs it looks like Apple has lost this one.

So is it just me or does there not seem any reason to use Apple TV with a modern smart TV as the equivalent functionality comes standard in the TV?

Reactions: Aldaris

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Does this mean I can use a $20 Roku to replace an OLD Airport Express to stream to a stereo?

texasaggie13

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Sounds awesome. Those with a Roku 3, have you had problems with the batteries on the remote draining the batteries in just a few days? I found a lot of discussions on it. Seems to be a widespread issue that is making it a pain to use my roku.

I have a Roku 3 and I have noticed the batteries degrade faster than I feel they should. Might be a bug that is draining the battery over time for some reason.

I just got some rechargeables and swap them as needed, really not a big deal for us. Rechargeable batteries have come down in price a lot with Amazon Basics starting to sell them.

Reactions: LetsStewIt

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Is Roku still better than :apple:TV? Or has that changed since the 4th gen release? I might get an Nvidia Shield when they refresh it - but I don't use streaming all that often, due to my lack of wanting to pay for subscriptions :rolleyes:

Would probably just use it for occasional games, and light streaming.

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
AirPlay might just solve 90% of our reason for still using an Apple TV despite the fact that it's still buggy as hell. All of our iTunes purchases would be playable on our TV's built-in Roku.

beq

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Just the other day I had a relative asking to mirror their iPhone to their Roku TV (I was going to buy them another Apple TV).

AirPlay will be a great addition. Roku is still the only streamer that can receive Miracast screen mirroring from PCs and (older or 3rd party) Android devices.

Apps like Netflix/YouTube/etc can already cast to the Roku (via DIAL). But I wonder if Roku will someday be able to *officially* license Chromecast (Google Cast) support as well, to support casting from many other apps, plus screen mirroring from Google’s newer Android phones.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Even though I splurged for an Apple TV last year to fix this problem in my house, there’s plenty of times I need to connect my phone to other people’s TVs / devices and cannot. I’m SO happy Apple is opening the flood gates on this.

2019 is the year we can finally display our phones on TVs without needing Tylenol after.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
AirPlay might just solve 90% of our reason for still using an Apple TV despite the fact that it's still buggy as hell. All of our iTunes purchases would be playable on our TV's built-in Roku.

"Buggy as hell?" I wonder if you got a bad one. I don't hear many complaints, other than price, about Apple TV. For me, it was worked pretty much flawlessly from the start, and Siri on it is great.

linb1234

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2019
Uh, I use Plex and already stream everything from my Mac/iPhone to my Roku. Works fantastically well. A native app is fine but no one needs to sit around waiting for it.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I'd be thrilled if my Roku3 could support AirPlay via an OS update. That would solve a bunch of problems for me and the awesome price of $0.00. :)

Well that would solve the problem of Apple providing a low cost streaming stick. I understand why Apple would want to offer AirPlay 2 on a TV as part of a built-in Roku OS, I’m a little more confused as to why Apple would allow it to work on a cheap streaming stick. That seems to compete with Apples core business. Although I guess it would be hard to limit AP2 to a built-in TV OS only if the same OS was more or less available on other devices, like Android TV OS and Roku.

So if Apple does this, the real question is what does an actual Apple TV offer over this implementation on another, cheaper, device?

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkIII

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Uh, I use Plex and already stream everything from my Mac/iPhone to my Roku. Works fantastically well. A native app is fine but no one needs to sit around waiting for it.

Plex is a privacy nightmare, as are the other services. Here's just one example from Plex. This is how your dossier gets built. Google, Facebook and others also buy this data. Resist!

"When you use the Services to watch, listen to, or record content from a third-party content provider or source such as any officially supported Third-Party Content that Plex streams to Plex apps, trailers and extras from IVA, the Plex Watch Later or Recommended features, or use of our Live TV and DVR service, we may collect information related to that media interaction. For example, we may collect what program or movie you are watching and when, your interaction with any static or video advertising, etc. We may also collect your device information and device location, for example, by using your IP address or by asking for your zip code. We may use this information to run and improve our Services, provide advertising and marketing to you, as well as share anonymous OR aggregated versions of the data with third parties."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.