Rolling up on 200 Cycles on rMB...here are the battery stats...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TommyBoy5, Oct 7, 2015.

1. TommyBoy5 macrumors member

I use the hell out of my rMB...It gets unplugged in the morning and I run it down considerably throughout the day...plug it back in at night and do it all over again....I'm at 186 cycles and here are the Coconut Battery stats on it:

Loadcycles Maximum capacity
    30 cycles 5058 mAh - 95%
    33 cycles 5060 mAh
    35 cycles 5071 mAh
    46 cycles 5067 mAh
    52 cycles 5063 mAh
    66 cycles 5016 mAh - 94%
    73 cycles 4979 mAh
    92 cycles 4938 mAh
    100 cycles 4937 mAh
    109 cycles 4945 mAh
    121 cycles 4936 mAh
    128 cycles 4935 mAh - 93%
    140 cycles 4878 mAh
    148 cycles 4830 mAh - 91%
    161 cycles 4855 mAh
    176 cycles 4780 mAh
    186 cycles 4779 mAh - 90%

I put in the % of a few so that you may have some frame of reference.....

That's it...I'll post again in 6 months and let you know how the first year went...I'm please with it so far...

2. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

That's my number one complaint about the rMB - the battery.

3. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

4. TommyBoy5 thread starter macrumors member

I'm ok with it...It's about a year's worth of usage for the average user...and maybe 18 months of usage by the light user....so 90% is ok with me. You lose the most charge right away so I figure I'll be around 85% at the one year mark.

5. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Promising, and thanks for the stats. It looks the initial hit wasn't a free-fall like some had predicted.

It's still not great, but I figured SMP (at least on mine) knows how to make a great battery. My old MBP (also with an SMP battery) from 2012 still has 96% of it's life after 200+ cycles. If you look at the averaged users' curve, it holds that level all the way to 1000+ cycles.

I don't like that mine only has 90% left in only 6 months but if it holds at that level for as long as my old MBP has I would be ok with it.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

My late 11 MBP, at 500 cycles, is above 94% of original capacity.....

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

and you consider 85% after 1 year an acceptable result ? That's absolutely below the standard Apple decided (85% for 1000 cycles). Your battery should reach 85% after 3-5 yrs.

8. TommyBoy5 thread starter macrumors member

Well either way I win, then. If it falls below Apple's acceptable standards then they'll replace it. If it doesn't, then I've still got a lot of juice left.

Time will tell. I'm not at all bothered by it.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

what if the battery will settle at 86% after 12 months ? Apple won't change it under warranty, and you'll have a substandard battery life ... Definitely not something I would love.

10. TommyBoy5 thread starter macrumors member

That wouldn't be a problem. Ok, 86%, right on the cusp. That's life. I use the hell out of this computer and am extremely thrilled with the portability and beautiful retina screen. Gone is my iPad, MBP, MBA, Kindle, iPhone, etc. I use this thing 90% of the time now and it goes everywhere with me.

I also own a Tesla Model S P85. Early adopter - almost three years old now. There is so much discussion on the forums about the battery life. When to plug in, what % to charge to, how many amps to charge at, supercharge often or not, etc. The battery-calculating algorithms are dynamic and constantly changing so you'll see posts daily with titles like "I used to get 221 miles at 90% charge and this morning I got 217. What's wrong!?" The answer, of course, is not to worry about it and enjoy the vehicle. If the trend continues and it falls below Tesla's standards they'll replace it.

Therefore I would say that my apprehension about my rMB battery life would be much less than the average user.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm not questioning your satisfaction. You bought a wonderful notebook (I was very debated between the MacBook and my MacBook Pro a few days ago).
    I just think your battery is slightly substandard and since you are using your notebook so much, because it is indeed wonderful, you should try to have the battery replaced.

12. TommyBoy5 thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like a fair enough assessment.

13. drjsway macrumors 6502a

I had similar battery stats. Started at around 96% with 0 cycles and went down to 89% after around 200 cycles. Took it to an Apple Genius. He said he wasn't allowed to replace the battery until it went under 80% so he just swapped it out for a brand new laptop (with manager approval). Now I have 100.4% on my new one.

In addition to better battery, the hinge seems tighter, and the keyboard feels better. I think they fixed many problems since launch and the current MacBooks are better than the initial production run. If it bothers you, you can see if Apple will replace it for you as well.

14. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

169 Cycles as of today.

health is between 85-87%. I'm getting Applecare and the second it goes below 80. I'm goign to Apple store

15. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

I had my 2012 MBA just fall out of AppleCare in July - it was routinely like 78-80-81% battery capacity in the days leading up to AppleCare ending. Took it to Genius Bar and they wouldn't replace it. Of course under their tests it recorded like 83% or something. :S

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You seem to have high usage like me but my degradation is much lower than yours. I charge my battery to 85% though not 100% unless I know I'm not going near a socket.

17. pmouritz macrumors member

Interesting post! Thanks for that, I was actually quite intrigued about how the battery in the rMBP would perform. Personally I have a medio 2012 rMPB 15" which according to Coconut Battery Health has 312 cycles and an 88% health after 3.2 years. I think those stats are quite good but to be completely honest, I took extremely care of the battery during the first 2 years hehe.

18. TommyBoy5, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

TommyBoy5 thread starter macrumors member

I may have spoken too soon...the last few cycles have not been kind...today's stats:

195 Cycles (4586 mAh) - 86%

EDIT: One other note that I wanted to add - I absolutely spend zero time trying to preserve the battery in any way. I literally plug it in and leave it plugged in until I use it and plug it in again when I'm done. Sometimes it's for 10% usage and sometimes I run the battery completely down. My stats are an excellent example of what you can expect if you run through 200 cycles on your new rMB and just use it without any special consideration for preserving the battery. I don't want to have to worry about how much to charge it each time and how much to run it down before recharging. It defeats the purpose of having an ultra-portable on-the-go machine like the rMB.

19. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

84% now. 171 cycles

as soon as it hits 79%, I'm taking it back to Apple, this is unacceptable

20. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I appreciate that you described your usage -- that's exactly how I roll too.

That being said, these stats seem discouraging to me as a prospective rMB buyer...

21. sunsetblow macrumors regular

sunsetblow

Glad to hear about your hardcore usage, OP. I'm one of those obsessively-protective users but now I'm thinking I may just use the hell out of it.

Just one silly question: where can you retrieve those stats? Not seeing it in the System Report.

22. j.quintana macrumors member

I got my rMB 2 days ago. It now has 3 cycles and 99%. I am not a hardcore user, my rMB sits mostly on my desk with the power plugged in.

But since I'm planning on using it for 4-5 years, maybe it's a better idea to always unplug it and recharge it when necessary. Otherwise I might not be able to return it to Apple, when it still has 85% after 3 years. And if the battery really was faulty (and this thread looks to me like it is), I want Apple to take proper care of it. Even more so after I invested in AppleCare.

23. ferretex macrumors member

ferretex

What software do you use to check your battery health? Is coconutBattery a good one? Or are there better ones?

24. mastercraft813 macrumors member

mastercraft813

I use iStat Menus but I've used coconutBattery in the past and it's pretty good.

25. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

That's definitely not good. Just checked my April 2010 white MacBook. It's been charged 2200 times and battery health is 80.4% Pretty good!