rollover minutes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nownot, Apr 9, 2009.

1. nownot macrumors regular

just wondering how many everyone else has, my plan is 1400 between 2 iphones that we got on launch day and we have 6,600 rollover minutes. we thought about going down but its only $20 difference. just seeing where everyone else is.

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I have the most basic voiceplan with 450min/mo and I have over 4,400 rollover min. I wish they had like a 200min/mo voiceplan. It's an iPhone, I tend to use the data plan more for email, Facebook, AIM, etc.

3. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Wirelessly posted (PANTECH-C810/M044.33 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Just remembe that if you go down a tier, your rollover minutes are forfeited and you start over. my brother and i were on a 1400 minute plan and dropped down to a 700 min plan. everyone we talk to seemed to switch to att, therefore making those calls free.

4. aok1975 macrumors 6502

with 6000 rollover minutes you might as well downgrade and save $20 a month. Whats the point of roll over minutes if you are not going to use them.

5. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

just incase one month we need them, and 20 between 2 people is only saving 10 a month. so yeah

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

That's $240 per year, or $120 each. That's like a month's cable bill, buy-in at a poker tournament, "free" fancy dinner, etc...

7. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

That is not true. They will pro-rate your rollover to minutes to a lower number, they will not erase all of your roll over, but you must ASK to keep the pro-rated minutes, not assume.

I am under a very old Family plan from cingular...my wife and I are on 500 shared minute plan and we still have over 2500 rollover minutes. If I go to the lower plan, I actually pay more.

8. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Interesting. When I called to switch to a lower tiered plan, I specifically asked if I could keep my rollovers in any way. They didn't even offer to prorate the rollovers- just straight up told me, "you're losing these, deal with it." :(

9. Resist macrumors 68030

In this economy every little bit helps. I'd downsize your plan as it's obvious you don't use enough monthly hours to make your current plan worth the cost.

10. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Hmmm...I am sorry that they have changed. It was Cingular that allowed me to keep the rollover minutes when we adjusted our plan twice to what it is now. They must have changed policy when AT&T took over. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

11. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Damn I hated Cingular. Wrongly charge me $1200 for data, plus calls initiated during free time when crossed Over into non free time are switched mid call and start taking away from your minutes. Bastards.

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

Rollover Minutes: Changing to a new Rollover plan where your existing Rollover balance exceeds the Anytime minutes of the new plan. Only minutes in excess of the Anytime minutes in the new plan are forfeited. This will take effect at the end of the billing cycle. (NOTE: AT&T Unity plans are an exception to this rule and you will not lose your accumulated Rollover minutes when changing to a Unity plan.)
    You only lose the minutes that are above the rate plan that you are moving to (except Unity plans, see above).

This change was made many years ago because individuals were abusing the Rollover system to bank minutes and then switch to a minimum plan over and over. For example: Switch to 2100 minute plan for two months and then swich to the 550 plan and rinse and repeat over and over again...

Many of the limites imposed by the carriers are based on abuse of the system by a few individuals.

As a reminded Rollover Minutes expire on a rolling 12 month period. Here is the link to the AT&T Answer Center document should you get a Care rep that does not understand to process.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?solutionId=52371&t=solutionTab

Dave

13. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Probably a good reason they got bought out by AT&T. Either way, I had good experience with them as I do with AT&T now.

So in other words...I was right, I thought it was something like that. Thanks for the link Dave:)

14. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I have the basic 450min plan. Current rollover minutes: 1,117. I don't talk much on the phone.

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have the lowest minute plan and have over 7,000 roll overs. I'll never use them.

16. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I'm on the lowest voice plan as well and I have a little over 4000 rollover minutes.

I wish there was a 200-250min plan for like $20. I would jump on it.

17. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I am sure I roll over at least 60% of my minutes every month. I am on the lowest plan, I just don't like talking on the phone. My phone conversations usually never last over a few seconds. I think that is why AT&T is a little more tolerant when I am late on my bill then my contract says they'll be.

Sure wish I could sell them back, even at $.20 on the dollar.

18. gLaDiAtOr73 macrumors member

i recently upgraded to a 3gs but kept the same 1400 family plan. my mother-n-law and sister-n-law were also added to or acct because my father-n-law passed away and they couldnt afford their bill with the decreased income. i went in to an att store and the guy that helped promised that i wouldnt lose my rollover even though i was adding them to the acct because i was not dropping to a lower plan. he even asked the store mgr who said the same thing.

my bill came and of course they took my 7700 rollover minutes anyways. i now know their policy on changing accts but as i stated, i was told by the store mgr that they wouldnt take my rollover. i dont thinks its fair that they can lie and lock you into a new 2 yr under false pretenses, regardless of the policy.

what do you guys think my chances are?

19. christyn macrumors 6502a

Probably not good.

BUT I would call CS and complain. Just explain that you were told by such and such of a store that you wouldn't lose them. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a nice CSR.

20. christyn macrumors 6502a

Oh and as for me, I'm on the 700 family plan with 2 lines and we currently have 3,482 rollover.

I think we may go down to the 550 plan. During the day I'm on my work phone for calls 90% of the time, and my side of the family is in Canada so I use the GV mobile app to call everyone up there since calls are free to canada now :) thus I am using no minutes to call any family members.

21. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

I DEMAND THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RULE THAT IT IS ILLEGAL FOR AT&T TO PREVENT ME FROM SELLING MY 6,452 ROLLOVER MINUTES ON EBAY !!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I PAID FOR THEM, THEY ARE MY ROLLOVER MINUTES, I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT WITH THEM !!!!

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Do you think 9,692 is too many rollover minutes? They (AT&T) jacked me for 7,500 minutes when I renewed my contract with the purchase of my 3GS iPhones, so once they took 'em, they couldn't just give me back 7,500; so they gave me 8,000 and every end of the month they take exactly 0 rollover minutes from me for 12 months. Hopefully, I can sell those some day.....:p:p:p

23. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Family plan 1100 min with five phones, 5200 rollover min, early nights.

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Basic iPhone Plan and have 5600 Rollover minutes...

25. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

850 plan (we've had it a while)

7,593 rollovers on last bill