Roughly Drafted put Palm Pre to shame.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by plumbingandtech, Jan 12, 2009.

1. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

You want REAL insight and REAL consideration of the Palm Pre?

Then go no further and ignore the other links around here about the Pre filled denial and go here:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/01/12/palm-pre-the-emperors-new-phone/

In the mother of all smackdowns, Daniel Eran Dilger, smacked down POINT after POINT the Palm Pre.

The emperor's new clothes come off on this one and you will no longer think of the Pre in any other terms then it really is, a bad, come to the party late knockoff that will only delay Palm's demise for a year before it too becomes road kill on the iPhone super hightway....

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Fanboy propaganda. The pre will just add more variety to the market.

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

he sounds like someone just picked his wife up in a bar and to her to his bmw backseat.

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Where is the propaganda in that article? He actually seemed kind of tepid about the whole thing. Unless you are just going by your misreading of the title.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Daniel is a fantastic source of data. He crams so many facts into every article that you're bound to learn something. For this he deserves credit. You will always come away knowing more than you did before.

He is also very opinionated, but there's nothing that says you have to agree with his conclusions. Only someone with no opinion of their own should be afraid of Daniel's writing.

But if you've managed to form an opinion on something, it's perfectly fine to stick to your beliefs, disagree with Daniel, and still come away from the article having learned a lot and made yourself smarter in the process.

Every time he gets posted somewhere people complain about his opinions. Screw that...who cares what he thinks? Use him as a learning opportunity to make yourself smarter. That's something we could all use a bit more of.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

He expresses his dislikes of Palm copying Apple but going about it differently by not using real apps but instead widgets.
    Honestly, I do see why all the hubbub. If the iphone is the real thing then it will stand on its own.
    If the palm gives people what has been lacking in other devices it will stand on its own.

i like the part where he says Palm just tweaked some parts andthat is easy. Why hasn't apple tweaked them?

another one that bangs on the price of the palm. How much was the first iPhone?

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I've read the article and it just seems too biased for my liking, leaving me to wonder what information is actually reliable. For example, is Symbian really "desperately hungry" for marketshare, when then already control 70% of it? Is the Pre really an iPhone-clone when it has a slide out keyboard? Geez, to avoid the iPhone-clone label, what phone could possibly be produced then? There's only so many ways you can make a smartphone.

Nevertheless, it's always is good to get both sides of the story and this clearly is one side.

9. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I think Roughly Drafted is one of the best reads on the internet, (apart from Macrumors of course :))

I have to admit I initially though the Palm Pre wasn't half bad, probably due to Engadget's all over the shop coverage.

Then I went and read Dan's article which, as always, was brilliant and spot on to the point and I realized my first impressions were completely wrong.

I bet he will have another stab at the Pre when the first reviews of it come out and I bet you once again he gets it spot on. :)

10. plumbingandtech thread starter macrumors 68000

:rolleyes:

Why bother responding to someone that jumps to that conclusion IF he read it.

IF.

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

He may be biased, but he's right. From what Palm's said publicly, the Pre's applications seem like exactly the sort of thing that the iPhone already supports, with the (possible) exceptions of being stored locally and having more OS integration. Still, it's amazing how quickly all the pundits forgot their harsh criticism of Apple for trying the "widget" model when the iPhone was first released.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That read like pretty good opinionalysis. I think a lot of the hype is the ubernerds that cover such things thinking certain features are more important to the average consumer. Nothing proved that more than when some dude at CES asked if the Palm Pre OS was based on WebKit.

OK, I've heard of that term, but it means NOTHING to me. The Pre OS could be based off cookies and milk and I still wouldn't know the difference. (Rumor has it Windows 7 IS based off cookies and milk)

I've tried to read up some on the device and I can't see a darn thing that would push it into a lot of hands. RIM sells a lot of devices because of e-mail and business tasks. Apple sells a lot because it's an iPod, Web browser, game system, and repository for the best apps (iFart Mobile!) 99 cents can buy. Until someone carves out another market or does it better than RIM and Apple, it's just a competition for "mine looks like the iPhone!"

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Bingo. That's *exactly* why the G1 hit the market with a resounding thud, and is the reason that the Pre will do the same unless Palm finds a way to make it unique and/or innovative. (Yes, wireless charging would be a first -- but it's most likely not going to be a major selling point for most folks.)

14. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

i hate that kind of people. he is arguing that palm is a copycat, but do not explain why.

Dreamwork and pixar movies blow my mind. Behind those there are many people, years of work and many ideias. I always perceive a pattern on that movies: behind those animations are always a positive message.

That pattern is common between palm and apple. Stuff like "good to the eye" "fluid" "responsive" "the UI is polished" is a example.
    That don't make that Palm copys Apple. Or "Dreamwork" copys "Pixar". Is something that escapes to HTC and other companies; Creative teams, are all around the world.

If someone attended to a course of Software Engineering Lab / Process Maturity, you may discovered that only a positive team could deliver a quality product. meanwhile thats right for anything, from sports teams to art teams, not only software.

Quality is a thing that is perceived by the customer, afficionado, because is made to work with your senses, there are care on it by factory.
    :cool:

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You have a point there about Palm not necessarily being a "copycat" just because their device replicates a lot of features of the iPhone. The difference, though, is that Dreamwork and Pixar can both come out with great movies, and people would pay to see both. But if I have an iPhone and am happy with it, then I need extra incentive to switch to Palm. And even before reading this article, I'd been skeptical that the new Palm Pre offered enough "extras" over the iPhone to convince me to switch to it. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in feeling that way!

16. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Hell, after the Foleo debacle I'm skeptical that Palm will be able to actually deliver the device they demoed. I hope they do though. Speaking of the Foleo: I wish Palm would bring it back. I want one. :)

17. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I have an iphone and love it, but im not loyal to it, its just a phone. When I see something else that fits my needs I will get it. I dont get the hostility people have for other devices. Just looking at the specs and features of the pre, it seems like it could take me away from my iphone.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

focus on the eye candy is superficial,

Pre's truly revolutionary nature is

1. truly multi-tasking without interruption of users workflow
    2. synergy.

with tiny features like

gesture highlight under finger
    flip app out of screen to close it.
    notification on the bottom of the screen
    dedicated gesture area under screen to avoid interfering with on screen reading

Apple has done none of that on a device. Copycat? wait and see if apple will copycat the multi-tasking and synergy.

Roughlydrafted is the shallowest apple fanboy website you will ever found, even macdailynews would have be #2 on that list. you will never found a single good word of any apple's competitors on roughlydrafted.

Its sad some people are still put themselves in a dreamworld with information distortion. This whole "accusation of copycat" culture of some apple fans are just plain disgusting.

19. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

"...but sorry I have to throw up a little at the painfully strained attempt by Palm to present the Pre as more advanced than the fully multitasking, but third party-restricted iPhone OS environment.

What kind of iPhone is this guy using? Fully Multitasking? Ya it's a great phone but I wouldn't say it's able to multitask. Oh but wait, we can email links, save images and watch "YouTube" videos. And who needs to copy things when you can write them down on a sheet of paper and then type it back in on the iPhone?

BTW, I have an iPhone and love it. But it's no Jesus phone...

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

as I said, Roughlydrafted is hopelessly biased and has absolutely no courage to face the reality.

Reading that website is a waste of time and 100% get readers misinformed.

PS. if you dont want to watch the full length of Pre's keynote

This brief tour is quite good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmsi2JjzTx0

I suggest people watch it first.

21. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

plumbingandtech thanks for the great read. I'm really trying to stay unbiased in this situation, and every other. I genuinely feel this is a perfect and critical review of this new devise. While it may be the best new phone for Sprint, the iPhone out does this devise left and right. What is saving the iPhone is the immense gaming and graphical abilities as a result of its processing power... It's a FUN devise that's also practical for who many like to refer to as the BlackBerry functions. This new Palm devise cannot compete in this arena.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Huh? Synergy? What's that?

(P.S. I know the dictionary definiton of "synergy," I just haven't heard how it's a feature of the Pre.)

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

RoughlyDrafted is infamous for making up "facts" and then basing bogus opinions and predictions on them.

ArsTechnica is another site in the same vein, but with pseudo-engineering as the highlight.

Both are often cited as factual sources, when they're rarely anything of the sort. They play to the naive and uninformed.

24. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

iPhone web apps can be stored locally too
    its just that most devs don't utilize this capability

25. Trip.Tucker Guest

Some of the comments in here dismissing the RoughlyDrafted review just reek like a rotting corpse of defensive and insecure nature.... much like a Microsoft fanboy when challenged.