round apple watch

czecho7

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Yup, sorry for those who'd prefer it round, but it's highly unlikely it'll ever happen.

DC Wallaby

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
I do think certain of the design aspects of the Watch's OS could translate well to a round screen at some point in the future, or at least a "more rounded" screen.

However, I do not believe Apple is going to pull the trigger on something like that unless it makes sense. There are too many downsides to displaying information on a round screen, as evidenced by the atrocious cut-offs and other issues with the round Android Wear offerings. It would take a massive rethinking of how text-based information is displayed for a round Apple Watch to make sense.

I wouldn't say Apple will never release it (my sincerest hope is for Apple Watch to make radical changes between generations to improve the sense of collectibility/exclusivity each model will carry), but I do imagine that those of you who are holding your breath on it will turn blue and pass out long, long before such a thing becomes a reality.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I really like a round watch face.
That said, I think a smart watch is best executed in Apple's current rendering. Naturally, I'm open to whatever design ideas work well, but I think it may be awhile before we see a change (if ever).

kdarling

macrumors P6
There is a BIG difference between scaling a device up and changing the entire shape.
Aye, in some ways that is true. However, the square Apple watch display could fit inside the round Moto 360 display area (it has a far smaller bezel):

dimensions.png

Now think about this: you don't have to use the entire round display for everything. You could use the round part for some situations, and just a square interior for others. I.e.

- Use full Round = watchfaces / round app display
- Use Square inside = text / square app display

I think that if round watches prove to be popular, Cook is the type who would move to cover that market, just as he did with smaller tablets and larger phones.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
Honestly the main thing I would use a smartwatch for would be notifications and some of the sensors (if they're accurate enough). So I don't really care about having "optimum screen ratio for reading lots of text" and I would prefer a round face (what a round android wear watch shows is enough for me to decide if I want to take out my phone and read the rest)

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Honestly I think while circular watches look cool it's less functional. And that's what really matters functionality.

Think about it. If you have a square and circle the same size, the circle would be missing all of the corner surface area. Surface area which could be used as screen real estate.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Honestly I think while circular watches look cool it's less functional. And that's what really matters functionality.
Well, not everyone thinks like that. For instance, Apple spent an enormous amount of effort on fashion.

Think about it. If you have a square and circle the same size, the circle would be missing all of the corner surface area. Surface area which could be used as screen real estate.
Who says they have to be the same size? As I noted above, a square can fit inside a circle.

Also, it matters if the circle has no bezels, whereas the square has fairly large ones.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Well, not everyone thinks like that. For instance, Apple spent an enormous amount of effort on fashion.

Who says they have to be the same size?

Also, it matters if the circle has no bezels, whereas the square has fairly large ones.
Well nobody said they had to be the same size. But if I were to have a watch a certain size I might as well have it be the square one for that extra screen real estate.

But of course that's me. Apple really is advertising it as a fashion device so I guess it could happen.

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
I'm waiting for the Apple Watch to become available next month. I have no interest in a round Apple Watch. Not sure why people think watches should be round, if you prefer round then thats another story.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I'm waiting for the Apple Watch to become available next month. I have no interest in a round Apple Watch. Not sure why people think watches should be round, if you prefer round then thats another story.
People probably think watches should be round because watches/clocks have always been round.

But **** that **** we can "advance" :D

Attachments

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
People probably think watches should be round because watches/clocks have always been round.

I have been collecting Swiss Made Mechanical watches for over 30 years so I'm well aware that watches are mostly round. I also have many Mechanical Clocks (mostly round)

I have at least 30 books about Wristwatches and also subscribe to Watch Magazines and can tell you Watches are not always round. Looking at photos of current and vintage watches you will see many shapes and sizes.

In saying the above I'm so glad the Apple Watch is NOT round. Funny thing is, before we seen pictures of the Apple Watch I imagined it to be close to what it looks like now in photos.

Cant wait to get it :D

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

Watches and clocks have not always been round. Square clocks were as or more common than round for decades. Square watches have been around (or is it not NOT round:D) since the dawn of watches. Here is a good article about rectangular watch history

http://www.forbes.com/sites/arieladams/2013/12/12/is-it-hip-to-be-square-the-longines-heritage-1968-watch-thinks-so/

Last edited: