Roundup: First-Look Impressions of the New Mac Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 3, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At WWDC today, Apple unveiled its much-anticipated Mac Pro redesign, and following its keynote the company offered journalists some brief time with the machine - although admittedly nobody was allowed to use or even touch it.

[​IMG]

With that in mind, we've highlighted some of the more interesting quotes from those who were lucky enough to get up close with Apple's most powerful Mac to date.

Unsurprisingly given the "hands-off" nature of the preview, TechRadar opined on the aesthetics of the redesigned Mac Pro:
    [​IMG]
    Image credit: TechRadar

TechCrunch was less impressed with the look of the new Mac Pro, and questioned the "cheese grater" industrial design choice.
    Gripping the handle on top of the Mac Pro and lifting the lid exposes the internal components, and Engadget noted how this makes the internals "relatively accessible" compared to the previous design.

[​IMG]
    Image credit: Engadget

As for the display, Engadget said:
    The Verge chose to focus on the sheer power of the new Mac Pro, which is heavily geared towards video, music, and photo editing.
    [​IMG]
    Image credit: The Verge

The new Mac Pro starts at $5,999 with an eight-core Intel Xeon processor, 32GB of ECC RAM, AMD WX 7100 graphics, and 256GB of SSD storage, and will be available to order in the fall. Apple's new 32-inch 6K display named the Pro Display XDR will also be available in the fall starting at $4,999.

Article Link: Roundup: First-Look Impressions of the New Mac Pro

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I'm curious to see what the BTO options cost...

3. EtherealX macrumors newbie

4. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

This looks more like a cheese grater than the 2013 Mac Pro looked liked a trash can.

5. Khedron macrumors 65816

What's the IP rating for dust on this computer and monitor?

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm okay with the tower looking like a cheese grater, but I really wish the back of the monitor didn't (yes, I realize they explained this is a function over form thing)

7. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

It slices through 8K video renders and hard cheeses with equal aplomb.

8. coolkid93 macrumors regular

coolkid93

That’s one hell of an expensive cheese grater I’ll give them that so far!

9. juannacho macrumors regular

juannacho

What my monitor looks like on the back is other people's problems :p

10. alphaswift macrumors regular

$11,000 to buy in. Ouch. Knowing these systems are going to be sold out for a while, maybe it's time to buy some Apple stock.

11. gugy, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

I love the fact Apple made this Mac Pro. I just wish they had a cheaper entry level option at $3/4K price with 1TB/64GB RAM.
    The prices are just too insane high.
    The display is incredible, but $7k with stand and nano tech is ridiculous. They could have an option @ 5K display at $2500 with stand/nano.

Around $13k to get a MP/Display combo is not a feasible option for most Pro's.

12. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I am curious why the base model Mac Pro is $1,000 more than the base model iMac Pro which has also has an 8-core Xeon and 32GB of RAM but the base model iMac Pro has 4x as much SSD space, a much more powerful GPU, and a 5k display to boot. I get that you are paying for expandibility but the initial price seems high or else the iMac Pro now looks like a screaming good deal.

13. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

Ah, a fresh thread to vent my rage... RAGE!

Nah, it's a technically great machine, even if it is way outside the price range of many previous Mac Pro owners.

14. Sasparilla, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Very impressive. About the only limitation I saw (and probably the reason it appears a little smaller than the old cheese grater) is it doesn't have support / space for Hard Drives (4TB in SSD's is the largest internal configurable option it looks like - gotta guess that would be an eye watering price).

I do like that they obviously embraced the cheese grater nickname of the old towers.

I'm with you ElectriPotato, if this started at $3k or $4k I'd be able to lift it. Will make my last version of the original cheese grater last a a year or two more then probably land in an iMac - which I've waited to avoid.

15. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

where is the hands on with the stand?? at 1K, it deserves its own review.

16. Bin Cook macrumors 6502

The worst part is the ginormous Apple logo. They've spent so much time thinking through the design and the thermal requirements and that seems like a rush in comparison. Maybe next gen they will do something amazing that would encourage you to have the Mac at 90 degrees, showing off the logo instead of the grater.

17. OlliFlamme, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

OlliFlamme macrumors regular

OlliFlamme

18. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

19. InVinoVeritasty macrumors member

InVinoVeritasty

How much are the optional wheels? I need to start saving.

20. Hairball macrumors regular

Hairball

Once again, an outrageous price for a “premium” product. Not sure why the frickin’ display needs to be so damn expensive. I’m sure it’ll be nice to look at in the apple store.

21. tencentcat macrumors member

tencentcat

I can’t wait to set this up for a rich client that must have the very best for their web browsing.

22. Hairball macrumors regular

Hairball

But you can rotate the display ..... BS! Stop making an overpriced 2k monitor and build a $6000 one, really?

23. davenlm macrumors newbie

davenlm

I'm just seeing the spec page and in the 24 and 28 core part it says 'Support for up to 2TB' but in the memory part it says 'up to 1.5TB'. I wonder witch one is right, not that I'm getting any of them, just wondering. lol.

upload_2019-6-3_18-53-5.png