Router & Modem Best Buys

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shan50, Jun 2, 2010.

1. shan50 macrumors newbie

I am looking at buying my first router & modem and am curious on what i need to know before purchasing to make sure it will meet my needs. I have a mac pro laptop and desktop and want to make sure i have something compatible so that i can reach each mac wirelessly. I will also be using it for my xbox and want to make sure i have no issues there. And as with anything, the more affordable -- the better! :rolleyes: If anyone has any suggestions on what to buy that would be appreciated!

2. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I replaced my Belkin a few months ago with an AirPort Express and i have no problems at all. Easy to setup and works fine with my MBP, HP Pavilion and Xbox 360. Plus its only $99

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

FWIW, if you are a Comcast customer then you can get a Netgear router for free. I got a deal on ebay for a Airport Express and right after I ordered it I learned about the Comcast deal - this was also my first router and first laptop, MB. Free, but you pay for shipping, and then if there are any problems they take care of it. I sold my Airport Express on Ebay for a slight loss but I am all set. No problems getting getting all the signal bars two rooms away

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Which router are they offering? I would like to consider getting one from them.

Thanks in advanced.

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

It looks like the model is a NetGear N150 router. I live in a 2 bedroom condo and I get the full signal (measured by the signal bars on my MB) every where in my home. Also, I have the Comcast triple play package, phone, TV and internet. I owned my own model for the past 5 years (instead of renting one) and was ready to upgrade it. I spoke with Comcast and they said that since I m already 'renting' the phone modem (no choice on this) that I can get a new model from them at no charge. So they sent me a modem and I got rid on my old one. Now if there is a problem and it turns out to be the modem or router, they fix it and I do not have to pay for the service call. I did have to pay $9.99 for the shipping of the router, but nothing for the modem. Everything works great.

here is a link www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

That's a deal not all markets have.
    To the OP, you can get a cable modem for $65, and I would buy one. To rent one from Comcast and other cable companies is $5 a month, in 13 months you could have bought your own. My last one lasted 3 years and it broke because I was moving and dropped it. If I rented it from Comcast at $5 a month, I would have spend $180 in that 3 years.