Router Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 06Honda, Jul 4, 2011.

1. 06Honda, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

06Honda macrumors regular

I am purchasing a MacBook Pro and will be seting up a wireless connection for the first time. Looking for buying advice on a good router thats not to completed to setup. My DSL Modem is a GNET. Thanks for any asvice.

Paul

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

The recently-updated Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station is a good choice. If you use the Time Machine to backup your data, you may also consider a Time Capsule.

3. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Frank for the post back, appreciate it.

4. Q-chan macrumors member

Netgear WNDR3700

As a non-Apple alternative, the Netgear WNDR3700 is also a good choice. Its features are similar to the Airport Extreme. I use it successfully in my mostly-Apple, but also Linux and (very few) Windows environment.

Manfred

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Netgear or linksys, I've found belkins don't play nice with macs.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There is pretty much zero reason to buy a $150+ Netgear or Apple router for a DSL connection. A $50 model like the Netgear N300 will do just fine.

7. willieva macrumors 6502

Many routers will work fine for basic wireless access. If you envision wanting things like network attached storage, a network attached printer, then the apple routers play really nice with apple computers. And if your living space is large enough that you will need to extend the network to reach everywhere, doing so with all apple products is really easy. It can be much harder with a network made up of an assortment of hardware vendors.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

My time capsule at the office and airport extreme at home were the most easy, painless setups ever, hand down.

9. applefan289 macrumors 68000

If you want a great router, get the Airport Extreme. If you also are planning to back up - get the Time Capsule. I just bought the new 2TB Time Capsule, and I can't believe how seamless it is with Time Machine. You will not be disappointed.

If you are simply looking for a wireless solution (and don't need that much range), get an Airport Express. Seriously, these Apple routers beat Linksys.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple networking equipment is no better or worse than pretty much any other. Advising someone to buy it blindly is simply awful advice.

11. JZ7355 macrumors newbie

I love my netgear dual band teamed up with motorola surfboard modem from cablevsion. I get wired speed of 62 Mbps and wireless Mac speed of 52 Mbps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Yeah, but the setup is very quick, and Apple routers looks better than other routers.

It's so frustrating to go into a Linksys GUI (web interface), for example, and be messing with IP addresses and settings when there's really no need to for most people. With Airport Utility, you're set up very quickly.

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

But comparing our experiences with apple networking gear over past usage of other brands is not advising someone to buy it blindly. Setting up belkin and netgear wifi routers in the past used to take a couple of hours and required at least one call to my ISP. The apple gear was up and running with no problems in under 10 minutes. Accordingly, I beg to differ with you.

By the way, I freakin' LOVE your signature!

14. urkel macrumors 68030

Netgear also has the new WNDRMAC which is a step above the WNDR3700 and made specifically for Mac users. It's a nice alternative to the Airport Extreme you're trying to save money.

another money saving option is to buy the last gen Airport Extreme from Apples refurb store. They sell for $129 which is a steal for such a simple to install Apple router. (BTW. The difference between last gen and current gen Airport Extremes is there's a higher power signal on the new ones. If you don't have a big house it's not a big deal)