Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hi All

I have just left WOW as its dullness has now become more than bearable. It was always dull in its content (Nice graphics though) but in recent years has not improved, just gotten worse.

So I am seeking a good drag you in and always want to play RPG online or offline to play on my Mac.

I do not Bootcamp so that will cut things down a bit.

Thanks....

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I assume by the responses so far there are no decent ones then :(

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
there are but i would say if you really are serious about rpgs you probably have to go bootcamp.... its true a lot you can do with crossover or parallels or something like that but i have to say usually for me even if you can get your game working with those ways there are almost always little problems and i almost always end up just doing it in bootcamp anyway

i dont know what you have already played and whether you only play new games and what you think is a true rpg..... and also i usually play singleplayer rpgs.. but here are some ideas

BG/BG2 (of course)
IWD/IWD2 (of course)
Planescape (of course - tho i havent finished this sigh)
Mass Effect (ok its maybe not rpg really but i loved it; PC)
Dragon Age Origins (this is amaaaazing everything NWN should be, install bootcamp windows just for this really; PC)

lostime

macrumors regular
May 19, 2009
if you don't mind an older game, Knights of the Old Republic is one of the best games ever made.

I hear great things about Dragon Age, can't wait for it to come to mac so I'll probably get it for Xbox or PC.

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
For a RPG, Dragon Age Origins is worth the bootcamp install alone. Do not buy NWN2 for Mac. Aspyr's support for this has been terrible to say the least.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
I forgot all about Knights of the Old Republic! Yes, it's a great rpg, really well-written and if you like Star Wars then it's even amazinger. Be careful about the second one though - it starts well but because it was released unfinished the ending was really depressing at least for me. But you should try the first one.

Yes again to repeat what everyone else is saying, Dragon Age is mustplay if you have any interest at all in nwn-types of games.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
Besides the difference between NWN2 and DAO is night and day. DAO is the better of the two.

honestly,I enjoyed NWN (the first one, never bothered with the 2nd), but DAO....oh my, just so bloody awesome.

There isn't as much D&D stuff, but that just makes it feel less constrained...seriously OP worth installing bootcamp just so you can play DAO

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I've got to agree with the recommendation of Dragon Age: Origins. It's the best RPG I've played in years. Others I would recommend are
Baldur's Gate
Icewind Dale
Neverwinter Nights
Planescape: Torment
Mass Effect
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
The Witcher

Of course, these are all for Windows. Very few games were/are ported to OS X, even less are RPGs, and even less are decent ports. You might be able to get some of them to work via Crossover. Many people have gotten games to work by wrapping them with Cider, but that requires significantly more effort than a simple reboot into Windows that Boot Camp offers.

You should also look here and here for some older games to try out.

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
Actually NWN 1 was ported. IT runs well via rosetta. On my Mac Pro Octocore, I have to disable one of the CPUs or NWN will crash, otherwise it's just fine. Good game with a huge community downloadable content available. Getting it for mac is another story... However, check out biowares forums for this and there is a way...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
honestly,I enjoyed NWN (the first one, never bothered with the 2nd), but DAO....oh my, just so bloody awesome.

There isn't as much D&D stuff, but that just makes it feel less constrained...seriously OP worth installing bootcamp just so you can play DAO

I think in it's time NWN was an RPG standard. I also think they dropped the ball with NWN2. Regarding the outdoors environment, both games (NWN2 and DAO) have invisible walls, alleys, no jumping or accidently falling, so it's a testament to how good DAO is that I can keep playing it. :D

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
been playing more da and it is a great game

i think the biggest problem i have is it just isnt as tactical as other bioware rpgs. there are more skills for nonmages which makes them more interesting, thats good. but there is a lot less spell variety. and because warriors etc now have skills, they need to be micromanaged more (the ai in theory is very clever with all the rules you can set but, in practice you need to run things yourself). and there arent rounds. this sounds small but i realized i really like the bg2 system where you can autopause at the end of each round. that means you can really play it like a tactical combat sim or something if thats what you like. the da system is more actiony. rounds would give me better control.

i dont know, maybe i need to play around with the ai rules more, or just run everything manually

still, its the best rpg in ages. right up there no qsn. if you have any interest at all in rp you should buy this. install bootcamp, whatever. this game alone justifies windows existence (big call i know. im prepared to make it. im the decider.)

Hawksblood

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
If you like KOTOR/ Bioware games in general, I highly suggest Jade Empire, which happens to be out for Macs and available here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.