RS232 to USB adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Klimer, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Klimer macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an old Garmin running watch, with a serial port, and I would like to try to sync it with Garmin Connect. The only problem is, that this model is capble to send data via serial cable.

so my question is: will adapter like that: IMAGE
    let me connect to my garmin software on mac os x 10.6.8, or it's not just that simple with all those "protocol standards" etc?

thank you in adv.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

That looks like one I have several of that is based on the PL-2303 controller and made by IOGear (among others - I just stuck with IOGear because e first one worked.). There is a 64-bit compatible driver available for 10.6-10.8 through Prolific's site (for the PL-2303 device). If it's based on that device, this driver should work: http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=229&pcid=41

I'm actually still using the previous version, but seems to still work with 10.8. Guess it's time to update it, since I found it and all... ;-)

The protocol is a separate issue. There are several, including Garmin, and NMEA (I would think if the watch isn't more than a dozen years old, it would support those. I haven't looked into connecting my old handheld Garmin to the Mac in at least that long.) In any event, your mapping software would need to support the same protocol as your watch.

I also have a Keyspan for a different device. They also have 64-bit OS X drivers (also still running in 10.8 - I'll have to go check for updates on that too (tho it ain't broke...)).

3. Klimer, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

Klimer thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunetly, mine is not working with it. It has "APT-BW" written on side of RS232 plug. I tried to google something about it, but without any success.

EDIT: from what I found my adapter is not a PL2303 device, but rather a CH341 device and there is probably no chance to make it work on mac os x :/

4. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

The PL2303 chipset is the only one I have ever had any luck with. As gr8tfly mentioned, IOGear makes one. Several other brands are also available. I use the one by Plugable, which is mentioned on the Prolific web site. I have used this chipset/adapter successfully under OS X, Windows (XP, 7), Linux, and FreeBSD. Accept no substitutes. They don't cost much.

5. Klimer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I didn't know before how important it is which chipset is inside. I've just ordered online one with the PL2303 chipset.

thank you very much!