Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Use Dropbox to sync stuff or nextcloud set up on your home server.
Any kind of cloud storage is simply not for me, I have couple hundred of GB of changed/new files weekly. I just use cloud services for long term backups, and still it takes like a day or two to copy 400GB or so and you never know if all the stuff got there, didn’t get corrupted in the process and if the changed files are properly marked and there are no conflicts.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
There is a drop, 15-20%, depending on card, but I'd still use eGPU. For me, its most important advantage is that it frees your laptop GPU so CPU has all the thermal room possible. The he desktop equivalents are faster, so even factoring the TB3 drop it still will be faster than on board solution or at least equal. And you can upgrade the eGPU later, it's worth keeping regardless of how powerful internal GPU you will end up getting..

My Razer Core X has arrived but the delivery of my X1Y3 is still being delayed again. It is so annoying. I am going to return it since they started the warranties and return period over a week ago. They said that they cannot reset the clock and I am not happy about this policy. I am considering whether to open the box of the Core X and buy a GPU and try using X1Y3 with eGPU during this period. Else, just return Core X unopened and use X1Y3 for two weeks and return.
[doublepost=1544678092][/doublepost]
Or just use a desktop

Giving that PCIe 4.0 and 5.0 systems may arrive at the end of next year, I need something temporary during this waiting period.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
Any kind of cloud storage is simply not for me, I have couple hundred of GB of changed/new files weekly. I just use cloud services for long term backups, and still it takes like a day or two to copy 400GB or so and you never know if all the stuff got there, didn’t get corrupted in the process and if the changed files are properly marked and there are no conflicts.
So do I.

I have edit 4k videos and 42mp files and backing up the project settings is easy on the cloud.

Nextcloud is both lan and wan mate meaning when your at home it's fast to backup your stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.