Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
The South Africa v. Samoa game should be fun. No quarters taken or given at all.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
57 SA SAM 7 !!

Big score for SA!

I didn't see the game ... were SA playing extra well, or were Samoa playing poorly ... or both? (I didn't think the margin would be that large)

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
kiwi-in-uk said:
57 SA SAM 7 !!

Big score for SA!

I didn't see the game ... were SA playing extra well, or were Samoa playing poorly ... or both? (I didn't think the margin would be that large)

You really thought it would be close :eek: Does no one have faith in South Africa?

Well to conclude, South Africa's Bryan Habanna scored 4 tried and was denied a fifth due to a forward pass. Samoa, as usual, played very dirty rugby. They had a single break that resulted in their early try due to some miscommunication by the SA line.

Here's some biased SA commentry on the game:
Springbok coach Jake White is not slow to pick up on omens and now has another after the Boks got their World Cup campaign off to an ideal start against the abrasive islanders.

Williams, the talisman of South Africa’s Webb Ellis Cup triumph in 1995, scored his quartet of tries against the Samoans in the quarter-final at Ellis Park while Habana contributed to the Springboks’ second successive 50-plus scoreline at the Parc des Princes – that last having been their 52-10 win over France in 1997.

In all the Boks ran in eight tries with Percy Montgomery contributing 29 points by way of two tries, five conversions and three penalties as they doused the fire of the Samoans after an uncertain start.

It was a long way from a perfect performance with the Boks put out of stride by the peppery approach of the Samoans early on; their scrum being unsettled and the backline all over the place.

Montgomery got the scoreboard rolling with a string of three penalties but then the Boks were stunned by a sharp try by centre Gavin Williams – as good as any scored by his All Black father Bryan.

Williams cut back onto the ball, smashed through between the Bok centres, and dived over under the posts before converting himself (9-7).

The try came during a jittery period for the Boks, sparked by Montgomery making a hash of a clearance from just outside his 22, and for a period in the middle of the opening half the South Africans were all at sea with the backs committing a succession of errors.

Jean de Villiers, after his long lay-off was out of touch and his afternoon got no better when he was led off to be replaced by Francois Steyn shortly after halftime.

JP Pietersen’s propensity to make errors continued to be apparent while the positional organization of the backs left much to be desired.

The heavy hits were flying in and there must have been visions in the Bok coaches’ booth of a match starting to go horribly wrong.

But the Boks stuck to their tactic of trying to control the ball in the pack, their lineout was supreme and they were gaining the ascendancy in the scrums.

What was needed was a spark and inevitably it was provided by Habana with a dazzling piece of individual brilliance.

Put away in the tramlines on the 10m line the speedy left-wing zig-zagged his way this way and that, seemed to lose his footing, regained it and then powered through the grasping hands of the Samoans to dive over.

Montgomery’s conversion made it 14-7 and now their was steam in the Bok engine – their next try being one for the green-and-gold ages.

Setting a bridgehead on the Samoan line after JP Pietersen had been held up over the line the Boks bashed and mauled the hapless Islanders through no fewer than seven successive scrums (referee Paul Honiss refusing to opt for the penalty try) and when they finally let the ball out to the left Montgomery was able to sprint over.

This made the score 21-7 at the break and the Springboks returned to play a pretty impressive half – sparked in no small measure by Francois Steyn after he replaced Jean de Villiers.

A charged down kick by Fourie du Preez right after the re-start turned out to be the last real crisis the Boks had to deal with.

Steyn, just a minute after joining the fray, broke cleanly up the middle to take play into the Samoans’ 22 and when the ball re-emerged from the forwards the youngster made the pop that allowed Jaque Fourie to crash through and over.

Soon Montgomery was over in the left-hand corner for the all-important bonus point try and then Habana added a hat-trick to his opening score in the space of 20 minutes as he sprinted in from the 10m line, tapped a penalty quickly to himself to dive over before being presented with another free sprint down the left-hand touchline.

The winger might have got a fifth but for an annoying forward pass – irritating because the Boks have a habit of making forward passes in practices – and a glitch in the time-keeping allowed JP Pietersen to end the scoring in the right-hand corner; his try being scored with the scoreboard clock showing 82 mins 37 secs.

Ahead of their crucial Pool A clash against England at the Stade de France on Friday night the Boks can feel well-pleased with their opening statement. They managed to suppress difficult opponents by sticking to the method, they found some rhythm in the backs and at the end they were able to give all their reserves a run.

It was certainly a performance that would have created some worried frowns in the England camp in Versailles.

One down. Six to go.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Wales were crap. The same problems that have plagued the team ever since Gareth Jenkins was installed as coach/manager. Lack of possession and territory, terrible tactical kicking and poor decision making. ( :mad: )

And Australia to look forward to! :rolleyes:

South Africa were awesome against Samoa. I'm still sticking with them to win the World Cup.

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
Wales were crap. The same problems that have plagued the team ever since Gareth Jenkins was installed as coach/manager. Lack of possession and territory, terrible tactical kicking and poor decision making. ( :mad: )

And Australia to look forward to! :rolleyes:

South Africa were awesome against Samoa. I'm still sticking with them to win the World Cup.

So I'll take it you don't want to buy my spare ticket for Saturday then :)

Pretty underwhelming performances by all the six nations teams so far

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
You really thought it would be close :eek: Does no one have faith in South Africa?

Well to conclude, South Africa's Bryan Habanna scored 4 tried and was denied a fifth due to a forward pass. Samoa, as usual, played very dirty rugby. They had a single break that resulted in their early try due to some miscommunication by the SA line.

The 5th wouldn't have looked forward if the passer had continued his run and not got tackled after passing. Nearly every pass in Rugby has some forward momentum, because the passer is running forwards.

Other dodgy decisions:

Samoa were unlucky with the disallowed try.

Most unlucky were Namibia with the Irish "try" right at the end.

The Irish player was short of the line, lost the ball and was then pushed out of play.

Really poor call from Joel Jutge.

And finally, although he was probably right, Steve Walsh was really harsh to call back the winger Carvalho after he had sprinted the best part of 75 metres. As Portugal didn't have a any chance of winning I think I would have turned a blind eye to the offside.

Big three Southern Hemisphere sides look like they have the most clue so far. Australia always show up for the big occasions and are undefeated in RWC in the northern hemisphere, so they are my outside tip, although what South Africa did to Samoa today was impressive.

I highly doubt England will sweep Samoa aside so comfortably and next Friday I think the Boks will run up a big score in the range of 40-50 points.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU

No - I didn't think it would be close, but thought the margin would be less than 50 points (I have no doubt that SA is very strong, but Samoa have also been a strong tier 2/3 side in the past).

Re the dirty play ... most of the top sides have been accused of dirty tactics - not the least SA, the All Blacks, the Wallabies, France, and "even" IRE, SCO, WAL and ENG. I certainly don't condone dirty play - the suspect tackles, ruck behaviour, eye gouging, sprigging etc.

I will be watching the SA-ENG game with interest, to see whether this is a truly strong SA side (which would be good!) and whether ENG have managed to settle down and get focused (in my view they have some great players and some talented young-uns but as far as I am aware still have not developed the confidence and consistency for the big matches).

I'm hoping one of the six nations will show enough strength and consistency to give the big three a good run for the cup.

bintebrock

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2007
live rugby

Thanks all. No satellite (or cable), just OTA here. I managed to get onto the Eurosport site using a French proxy - the videos were only highlights packages rather than the full game though. But that's enough for me for the moment, seeing some tries is a lot better than just reading about them!

OK, does anyone know if there are any free online video streams of the RWC? I'm stuck here in LA, and all I can find so far are ones that make you pay $US50 for delayed matches. Blah. Or require Windows. Bleh. Even an audio stream would be better than nothing, watching a scoreboard just doesn't cut it.

go the Springbok pub in Van Nuys or Long Beach - more fun! http://www.springbokbar.com

satty

macrumors 6502
England 0-36 South Africa

wow I almost feel sorry for England

England is complete rubbish... not even on the score-board, which accurately reflects their performance. Maybe not a big surprise after the results of the warm-up games.

Very difficult to say how good South Africa actually is. They didn't have to give 100% today.

Before the world cup I thought this is getting the most interesting pool game. Unfortunately, it wasn't worth getting up at 7 am.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
England were embarrassing. South Africa were awesome - they're gonna win it, I tells ya!

I also think we saw Andy Farrell's last international appearance. And Richard Hill will be England manager/head coach by the end of the year, you mark my words.

I wonder how bad Wales will be against the Wallabies?

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Whoa! Again, I expected a SA win, but ENG zero ??? ho ho ho.

Are ANY of the northern hemisphere sides up to it?

BTW for anyone who is curious there is an overview of the All Blacks, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa pre-game dances, with words and translations at the RWC website.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Yeah.
High-ish score, but some very sloppy play by NZ at times.

I thought Portugal showed real spirit - if they can improve their defence they could give some of the other teams a fright.

Now for Australia:Wales !!

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Despite shipping a hundred points, I think Portugal can be proud with their display against the All Blacks.

Australia played magnificently in the first half but looked poor in the second half without Mortlock and let Wales back into the match. But I think the 20 points flattered us.

Can anybody challenge the Tri-Nations teams for the Cup? I don't think so.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Enjoyed the game, but thought Wales backs were patchy - sometimes very good, other times too flat and too wide on the set pieces.

Australia's game was very recognisable and makes me think there might be some new plays they are not disclosing in the early games.

I couldn't help feeling that Australia's performance was as much about testing the ref and testing the IRC's resolve and limits on "rough play" as it was about testing Wales.

It seemed to me that there were too many marginal tackles and other "edgy" technical plays for it to have been coincidence.

A very good technique to gain knowledge which could be used later in the tournament to force technical fouls - a match-winning method that Australia used to great effect during the 90s and early 00s.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Just got back from Paris. The Stade de France is an amazing stadium - I just wish I could say the same about the performance.

From a technical point of view England's back row seemed to be on more of a holiday than I was. Hopefully that was Farrells last game for England, although it was sad to see Jason Robinson go out like that.

All credit to the Springboks though, and their supporters were great - although they could afford to be ;)

It's looking more and more that no Northern hemisphere team will make the semis, and a number are in danger of not making the quarters.

Ireland were dreadful last night, Scotland still have the All Blacks and more importantly Italy to play next, and the French could be about to suffer the ignominy of going out of their own World Cup either before the quarter finals or losing in another country :eek:

For tonight's game Laporte should have stuck with Skrela rather than Michalak but the rest of the changes are needed. France really need to batter Namibia, both for their own sake and for European rugby.

@ kiwi-in-uk All teams will play up to the limit of both the referees and the laws. At this level it's the minute percentages that make the difference between being a great team and losing.

As you should be well aware the All Blacks have long been at the vanguard of this approach. McCaw is just continuing a long tradition of All Black opensides operating on the fringes of the law, but all Southern hemisphere teams do it. Not that Northern teams are any better they're just not as good at it ;)

Gareth Thomas was a prat yesterday and a perfect example of the differences above. Mortlock showed him exactly how it should be done. A hard (figuratively and literally) lesson to learn.

After the World Cup England, and the rest of the European teams, have some serious reorganising to do. For England the first action has to be:

Hire, at any cost, Graham Henry - and let him do what he wants.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Gareth Thomas was a prat yesterday and a perfect example of the differences above. Mortlock showed him exactly how it should be done. A hard (figuratively and literally) lesson to learn.

I'm Welsh and I smiled when Mortlock put Thomas out of the game. The prick deserved it! :mad:

Hire, at any cost, Graham Henry - and let him do what he wants.

Can't we have him back in Wales? Please?

FWIW, I think Richard Hill will be installed as head coach/manager of England before next years Six Nations tournament.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.