Ruh-roh. Looks like I got a lemon.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by worldwearyeyes, Mar 16, 2012.

1. worldwearyeyes, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

worldwearyeyes macrumors regular

Got mine from Walmart last night. It came 96% charged, so I didn't bother plugging it in until I went to bed. Woke up this morning to find it still at 82%...wasn't recognizing the new iPad charger. Charger worked fine on my phone. The iPad DID work with my iphone charger after multiple attempts, and after multiple attempts, it IS charging from my old ipad charger at work.

Obviously I don't want to keep dealing with this. Solution? Genius appointment? Just try to exchange at Apple store? Obviously stock is a concern if I try to exchange at Walmart.

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Um... iPad isn't supposed to charge with an iPhone charger. It requires a 10W trickle from the iPad specific charger that comes with it. iPhone charger doesn't supply enough juice.

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

obvious solution here... Please don't make us come out and say it...

hint: take it back and frickin exchange it...

----------

wrong. period.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

4. Kendo macrumors 68000

Charging an iPad with an iPhone charger would take forever. The iPad charger specifically uses a lot more wattage. If you set up a Genius appointment, they will only recommend you read the instructions before operating the iPad.

5. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

It will charge via the iPhone charger but it will take a really long time even with the iPad 2 it takes a long time. I'd imagine with the new iPad it will be almost impossible to charge especially if you have anything running i.e wifi sync.

6. aka777 macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about... From your link: "Connect iPad to a power outlet using the included cable and the 10W USB power adapter."

7. worldwearyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

Way to stay on topic guys!

Really just wondering if I need a Genius appt or can just go to Apple store for exchange. That's all. Nothing more to see here.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You'll need a Genius appointment regardless. So start there.

While you do that, try a restore. Sometimes that fixes things.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

100% completely not true. iPad2 will charge on an iPhone charger, I have one doing so right here. Yes it's slower than with the iPad charger, but it *does* work. While possible that Apple might have changed this (will find out when I get my new iPad) I doubt it.

If you don't know for sure, please say so and don't present conjecture as fact.

@worldwearyeyes: sorry for the off-topic, but didn't want others to think this incorrect info was true. You need a Genius appointment.

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

read:

from the article:

----------

highlight my first post for your secret answer.

11. jmelrose macrumors regular

12. aka777 macrumors 6502a

That was last updated in 2011. This iPad battery has double the capacity of the original ipad. Therefore it will take hours and hours to charge using a 1amp charger vs the required 2.1amp.

13. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

lol right...

----------

the person stated IT WILL NOT WORK. That is FALSE. It will work.

Yes, it will be slow... but it WILL WORK. The OP even said it worked when they plugged it in...

why is this even being debated?

----------

also fwiw I author/maintain KB articles in my job and I can tell you that if it's still relevant, it doesn't get updated. It will only get updated if it needs to be changed. The fact that it hasn't been updated since 2011 tells me that it's still relevant and moreso proves MY point.

14. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Wow... ok I was MISTAKEN in the fact that an iPhone charger can charge an iPad. You seem to be so focused on that... so you can have some sense of superiority that you are "right."

The fact is... you are so ready to return your iPad... because a charger... that isn't supposed to be what you use to charge your iPad is charging inconsistently.

What all of our points are is...

Why don't you see if you included iPad charger charges up your iPad? Wouldn't that make a bit more sense? ACTUALLY just reread OP... not sure if OP actually saying iPad is using included charger or not.

15. worldwearyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

zboater and deeddawg, thanks for the replies. Earliest genius appt was tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully i can get an occassional charge until then.

cheers!

16. h4ck macrumors regular

if you're looking for intellect when it comes to discussions of technology, and Apple, you realize macrumors forums isn't the place for that, right?

17. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

facepalm again.

reading > you.

OP said the following (I'll break it out for you):

-- ipad does NOT charge with iPad charger
    -- iPHONE DOES charge with iPad charger
    -- iPad DOES charge with iPhone charger (slowly...after several attempts)

conclusion:
    Charging on iPad is not working right.

OP:

If you got it at walmart, there's a chance that you can just take it back there for a new one. Was there a line? Do you know if they sold out? A genius will most definately swap it out for you but I would imagine you could get the same results at walmart should they still have stock.

18. worldwearyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

Rather than make a sarcastic comment, I'll simply re-state. Tried charging multiple times with included ipad charger. didn't work. tried charging with iphone charger multiple times to TEST. worked a couple times. tried charging with IPAD charger i already had at work. Took a few plug-ins but did charge. and yes, i also tried plugging into my macbook...didn't work.

19. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Okay, so they made a mistake.

Regardless, trying to charge it using an iPhone charger is just idiotic, considering it will take an enormous amount of time.

Anyone with a first year college class in electronics grasps why you would not use the 1amp to charge a device the requires 2.1amps.

20. worldwearyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

thank you Leonard.

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

ugh. Unfortunately you're right... People as a whole are getting DUMBER. Ask my wife -- she teaches a 100-level course at a state school. One thing she does is resume writing. You should see these things... it makes me cringe for our future :eek:

I like your sig by the way :D

----------

OK OK sorry 1080p, I don't mean to be a d*ck. I'm really a nice guy in real life (just a d*ck online :p )

22. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

I have issues charging my iPad at times with certain usb cords. I'm not even sure where they came from at this point, but certain ones will NOT charge my iPad. Maybe it's my old iPod 20Gb usb cord? or iPod Nano? Dunno...

Is there any chance you didn't want to open all your new cords, and used an old one, and that is the problem?

23. LeeM macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

24. worldwearyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

Good question. Yes, I did attempt to use the new charger/usb cable.

25. Penderworth macrumors member

Penderworth

No, it just won't work. Especially with the new large capacity battery.