rules for "saving a spot in line"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ibrainch, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ibrainch macrumors regular

just wanted to get general consensus on the proper rules for saving someone a spot in line for the iphone. i.e. can someone wait in line early and then have a friend join them like a half hour before open. what do you guys think?

2. cjandnw macrumors 6502

Unless all in line behind you are aware and agree; then no.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

5. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

In line ettiquette this is a no-no. Things like toilet breaks, meal breaks (especially if one designated to get food for a group in line), etc are allowed but leaving for extended periods of time or "holding a spot" for someone who either has never been in line, or left for hours is usually the quickest way to have the mob coming after you.

6. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

NOOB! This is something you do if your trying to kill yourself.

8. thevol macrumors member

If you are Deebo then this is fine.

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

There is no reason to stand in line unless you like that sort of thing. Go Friday night about an hour before the Apple Store closes and you'll get one with no wait. Better yet, wait until Monday and you won't even have to deal with delays due to the new activation procedure. There will be more than enough iphones for everyone who wants it.

10. iphonematt Guest

Well, since I am 15, I cannot make changes to our AT&T account. I will arrive at about 7 but my mom will arrive at 8. She doesn't want an iPhone, she will be there just to sign the contract etc, so I should be okay in that situation.

11. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

you could try

but you friend could be killed by the people in line

12. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

I wouldn't as people might send mean text messages to your iphone.

13. MacMalv macrumors regular

if you are alot bigger then me and have a shaved head then a maybe :D, but other wise NO CHANCE!!!

14. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Yes, I would deem this scenario acceptable if I were behind you waiting in line.

15. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This is definitely not a good look. I remember this happened during the XBOX 360 launch. A cat tried to show up the next morning and hop in line after we waited it all nite to cop one along with his buddy :mad: Luckily we had an off duty cop also waiting in line to cop 1 to keep the peace. The ONLY way this is cool IF they are NOT coppin an iPhone otherwise you may have a :mad: mob on your hands.

16. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

What the heck did you just say?

17. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

The second you get there and start talking to the fellow line waiters, make sure the people close enough to you to see someone else join line with you are all aware of your situation. I've waiting in lines for Wii and I would not have had a problem with that, but if they don't know what's going on, they'll get VERY angry. :D

18. BigPrince macrumors 68020

yes, the mom thing is kosher, just tell them ahead of time.

19. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

This is definitely not a good look. I remember this happened during the XBOX 360 launch. A cat tried to show up the next morning and hop in line after we waited it all nite to cop one along with his buddy Luckily we had an off duty cop also waiting in line to cop 1 to keep the peace. The ONLY way this is cool IF they are NOT coppin an iPhone otherwise you may have a mob on your hands.
    Today 04:37 PM

----->

This is not acceptable. I recall an incident where as I waited in line for a game console, the XBox 360, a person showed up and tried to cut the line where his friend was waiting the next morning. We found this really unfair since we waited in line all night and he didn't. Fortunately a police officer was also waiting in line for the same console. He recognized how truly unfair this was and brandished his firearm, thus restoring order to the line. This behavior would only be acceptable if one cut the line and then purchased something that everyone else in line wasn't interested in, lest you have many ppl so angry at you that they send you mean text messages and call you names.

20. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Think it's common that if both of you would get in line, and if the friends leaves and they are gone for too long, then they lose their spot. To have the friend come before opening is no different than letting 30 of your friends cut in line, and that's what it is, cutting in line.

I was annoyed with what I saw on the xbox 360 launch. I was closer to the end of the line, we all counted the people in line to compare to what the store had, so many of us waited based on that.

Then 5 hours later, an hour before opening, suddenly a car of 5 people pull up and get in the front. Word spread they were there first, but they were gone way too long, as to us, they were never there.

And now that threw off the whole count, making the 5 hour wait pointless to some. Thank goodness there was leeway with the count as not everyone in line was there to buy. I guess they went and partied somewhere nice and comfortable for the 5+ hours as they ditched their spot, and coming back they stole units from someone waiting in the freezing cold the whole time the right way.

21. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Every summer when a new Madden comes out, people line up outside video game stores for hours to get a copy. The doors open at midnight, so unless you show up around 9 or 10 p.m., you'll be there until 1 or 2 a.m., leaving no time to play.

If you didn't have to activate it yourself, I would suggest doing what I always do for Madden: show up 10 minutes before the doors open and pay a kid in the front to buy you one.

Ex: The game used to be $50, I'd give some little kid $60, tell him to keep the $7 change and I'd be home before 12:15 playing.

Maybe you can pay someone to let you cut them in line, and let that person deal with all the fools who are going to gripe about getting their precious phone two-and-a-half minutes later. Ten bucks should cover it haha.

22. hellodon macrumors 6502

Not if Craig is there....

23. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

got a problem with a big guy with a shaved head? :)

[​IMG]

24. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

100% okay...

as long as you're alright with a fanboy branding an :apple: apple :apple: logo on your forhead w/ the words "you will never forget!"

25. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

Toilet-breaks and someone from a group leaving to get food for the whole group is ok, nothing else. Not leaving for work, not leaving for more than say 1 hour.

If you're not gonna stand in line, don't think you'll get in front of the others who did.