Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new rumor claims that the next-generation 12.9-inch and 11-inch iPad Pro will feature two new four-pin connectors of some sort, distinguished from the current three-pin Smart Connector in the iPad Pro.

ipad-pro-magic-keyboard-white.jpg

The rumor from Mac Otakara, citing "reliable sources," says that the next iPad Pro, expected to debut possibly as soon as this fall, will feature a new connector on the top and bottom edges of the device that has four pins rather than three. The publication suggests that the new connector could be intended to power accessories connected to the device's Thunderbolt port.

Apple is working on updated versions of both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro that are expected to launch in September or October. It has been recently reported that Apple plans to delay the launch of iPadOS 16 until October, which could coincide with the launch of new iPads. The 2022 iPad Pro will feature the M2 Apple silicon chip and MagSafe charging capabilities. You can learn more about the 2022 iPad Pro with our dedicated guide.

Article Link: Rumor Claims Next iPad Pro to Feature New Four-Pin Connectors

Last edited:

Drisin

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2015

A new rumor claims that the next-generation 12.9-inch and 11-inch iPad Pro will feature a new four-pin Smart Connector, an update from the current three-pin connector in the iPad Pro.

ipad-pro-magic-keyboard-white.jpg

The rumor from Macotakara, citing "reliable sources," says that the next iPad Pro, expected to debut possibly as soon as this fall, will feature a new Smart Connector that has four-pins rather than three. The publication suggests that the additional pin could make it easier to power accessories through the Smart Connector. The Smart Connector is used to connect accessories such as the Magic Keyboard to the iPad and can also provide power to both the iPad and the connected peripheral.

Apple is working on updated versions of both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro that are expected to launch in September or October. It has been recently reported that Apple plans to delay the launch of iPadOS 16 until October, which could coincide with the launch of new iPads. The 2022 iPad Pro will feature the M2 Apple silicon chip and MagSafe charging capabilities. You can learn more about the 2022 iPad Pro with our dedicated guide.

Article Link: Rumor Claims Next iPad Pro to Feature New Four-Pin Smart Connector
OMG! Another $%#@* adapter!!!?? So now the 2022 iPads are obsolete?! Way to go TIM! What an innovator?! Your job is truly a CFO and not a CEO! Apple TV sucks! Apple home pod?! waste of money and quite frankly it nor my home pod mini have never worked as well as the SONOS speakers! I'm so sick and tired of Apple products? If anyone remembers MS during the 90s and how bloated the company OS became, I feel that apple is now at the same location. Come on Elon---- bring us something reliable, that we don't need to update every year and will actually do what it is suppose to do while innovating! This is what happens when there is a monopoly! No innovation. Who here agrees that Apple TV is a "Great" invention. or that the Home Pod is truly functional? or that I -tunes is just a game changer? Anyone? Anyone? Bueler?

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Interesting if this somehow provides additional functionality. Otherwise, seems like a move to make older accessories useless. Also, I hope magsafe charging means at a port and not the back of the Ipad. That seems less convenient to me. But, I desperately need a new Ipad Pro, so I'm probably getting whatever this is. Hope it's great.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
„Sorry, your existing Smart Keyboard won’t work but we are happy to sell you the new one. We even increased the price“
To not move forward with new technology, just because you don’t want to change, would be the death of any innovation. Horses worked fine, so why change to a car, or cars and boats work fine, so why do we need airplanes. I’m not saying that whatever Apple is going to do with new Smart Connectors or MagSafe and iPads is going to drastically change the world, but there is zero reason to complain about said changes. And as is so often the case, the existing products, M1 iPad Pro and Keyboard for example, do not stop working just because a new better version has been released - with some new connector or technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.