Rumor: iPhone firmware 2.3 released along with iLife 09

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darkmeton, Jan 13, 2009.

1. darkmeton macrumors member

As iphonehellas.gr claims (the guys who knew first the exact date of the 2.2 release), the new firmware will be relased probably at the end of this month, along with the release of iLife 09.

Two of it's features may be:

iChat Support (maybe push notifications as well???)
    Different background colors (in home screen)

Google's app had this option hidden, using undocumented APIs. Check here :
    http://www.tuaw.com/2009/01/02/google-iphone-app-is-the-gift-that-keeps-on-giving/

2. RandomAlec macrumors newbie

RandomAlec

Well it sounds damn good if it does happen, what date does iLife release?

3. svndmvn Guest

I doubt this, I don't know why..I just don't remember any other rumors since the week 2.2 was released, not beta testing or anything.
    iphonehellas also believed there were other colors coming, that was pretty fake.

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Well, we keep hearing of iChat support coming, but I would've thought Schiller would've shown it off at Macworld, especially if it included the long awaited PUSH notifications. Color me as skeptical because this wasn't mentioned.

5. Surrix macrumors regular

I'm a little skeptical, but I certainly hope this is true.

6. redman042 macrumors 68020

I hope those aren't the only new significant features.

I don't know about this rumor though. Since when did Apple release a firmware update without first allowing all the app developers out there to beta test it? We've heard nothing.

7. synagence macrumors 6502a

Didn't think Apple kept regular firmware updates secret (kinda) anymore since they usually release to the dev community to test and develop against

Not heard a peep this time so its either a quiet release or i would guess its a minor point release for bugs (2.2.x)

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

It's possible Apple would keep them secret to as it appears as if they have declared war on the iPhone hackers. However, if we were going to see something as important as iChat or PUSH notifications, I assume we would've seen it at Macworld so the developers could fix their apps to take advantage of the PUSH technology. I would assume that apps are not already capable of taking advantage of it in their current state.

9. Surrix macrumors regular

A thought: it would make sense to release something like Push in secret so that the Push Notification Servers wouldn't all be hit at once. Each app would need to be updated first, so the growth would be more gradual.

10. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

That would piss off developers who are spending time and resources creating ad hoc PUSH methods like email and SMS if they release it without any warning tomorrow. Those developers may take their time which would delay any implementation. I believe AIM is working on SMS alerts on their app. If PUSH came out with iLife 09, I doubt we'd see PUSH on AIM for another few months. They simply wouldn't take the time to add it after they added SMS alerts.

However, if iChat is put in this update, then my argument becomes invalid because AIM will become useless.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'd like this to happen ... but put me in the skeptic group.

12. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

push should be gradual, perhaps test it starting with the app store, i dont know about anyone else but i would rather have update notifications pushed than having to go into the store every time to check. Once it works with that perhaps iChat, then put it in the dev kit

13. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

I bet iChat support will wait until 3.0. No basis of this other than a hunch.

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I personally don't think we'll see iChat any time soon, but I'm not saying I wouldn't want it. I think AT&T would have a fit because then people wouldn't be using their text messages. The only other thing I can see is Apple working with AT&T to make iChat use up your text message count... and then it could use the whole AT&T SMS system to push text messages to your iPhone. If I'm not mistaken, other AT&T phones that have AIM use text messages instead of data.

15. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I had free messaging on my Blackberry Messenger

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I would KILL to have iChat be the equivilant of BBM on the iPhone.

KILL for it. :eek:

17. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I know the feeling, BBM is SWEEEEET

18. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Wouldnt AT&T be pissed about Beejive, AIM, Palringo, etc.? I dont think so

19. slapppy macrumors 65816

I doubt it would be anything major. Or anything to bring it close to Palm Pre features. We'll probably get an updated Calculator. How cool is that? :p

20. Shawn D macrumors regular

Just like any other rumor all we can do is wait until the end of the month..

21. theGoodLife macrumors newbie

Of course it wouldn't be anything to big, it is just a point release in the end. Somehow I doubt this though... given that they release new hardware soon (June?), they ought to focus on making features like this (along with others) ready for a 3.0 release.

22. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

in addition to an updated calculator the stocks icon will be changed too and of course the vague "bug fixes"

23. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

BBM is awesome and I definitely want it in the iPhone!! If anyone remembers the thread I made regarding this and it got into a huge debate because ignorant people responded without any clue what BBM actually was. :p

24. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Yes, the stocks app is now red and they are going down

25. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Yes, I was part of the ones that wanted it