RUMOR: iPhone X 2018 to come with Touch ID in the OLED screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appurushido, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Appurushido macrumors 6502

As most know Apple likes to incrementally upgrade their products yearly. Word on the street has it that the technology will be where Apple wants it for the the on-screen Touch ID to be featured in the 2018 all screen OLED iPhone. They don't care to be the first, but they sure want it perfected.

If this is the case, for those getting an X, will you buy now and upgrade again next year, or wait until next years OLED iPhone? If you are on an iPhone 6S or lower, I think the X will be a huge upgrade. If you have a 7/7+ (myself a 7+) then it might only be somewhat of an upgrade. I will probably wait since I upgrade every two years (non S models) since the 4, even though this years phones are non S models, the 8 and X, I still think the 8/8+ feel more like 7S/+ models.

Having both FaceID and TouchID in a single phone would be welcomed.

2. mhdena macrumors 6502

3. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

4. Snot Rox macrumors 6502

Snot Rox

That's the word on the street.

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

No point in worrying about this now. We haven’t got through the iPhone X release yet.

6. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Show us the home/source/link of this word on the street.
    I ain't trusting no homeless word on the street.

7. Enthusiastic28a Suspended

You lost me after I ain't

8. Knockoutjosie macrumors 6502a

Knockoutjosie

No homeless. Lmao

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Except Apple is not going to give us the option of touch ID and face ID. Face ID is Apples future and it will spread across the iPhone, and into other products likely as well. They are phasing touch ID out, it will not be included in future iPhone releases.

10. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

Except you're wrong. Of course Apple is working to get Touch ID under the display, eventually they want you to have both options to unlock your phone. The S8 has facial recognition, iris scanner and fingerprint scanner. And you think Apple will not want to have both Touch ID and Face ID? You're crazy if you think they don't.

Like insiders have said Apple were getting low yield rates with the fingerprint under the display so they didnt include it in the iPhone X but you can bet your sweet tatas it will come whether its 2018 or 2019 who knows.

11. Relentless Power, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Wrong. You're entire post is incorrect and I suggest you research what Craig Federighi stated. It Was confirmed that touch ID was being experimented under the OLED display at one point, it is however that Apple never pursued it after They realized face ID would be the primary early on after experimenting with it. Touch ID is NOT coming back and Face ID will be the primary. This Article listed below confirms it.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

Further quote:

"Craig Federighi never said Apple struggled to put Touch ID under the screen. He said they stopped working on it once they knew Face ID was it. John Gruber did write that Apple was having issues but that Touch ID was always plan B and the company has been working on Face ID for over a year. This notion by some that Face ID was some rush job because they couldn’t get Touch ID to work is nonsense."

Otherwise, please provide evidence that you know Apple is working to get touch ID under the display. Because they're not.

12. radioking macrumors regular

IMO if Apple was so sure about Face ID being the future, the X would not have been delayed. They would have given up on getting Touch ID under the display a long time ago. It’s pretty obvious that the best solution is for Face ID and Touch ID to both be used. Face ID would activate after a failed Touch ID attempt or something along those lines.

13. ACST Suspended

People here really think that Face ID was made in a few months time when they knew touch ID in screen wouldn't work?
    I mean seriously guys, you don't make something like Face ID in a few months. This was always plan A for them.

14. Nozuka macrumors 68020

my favorite post of starfyre, ever. :D

15. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Yeah think they have been working on this for years

16. Nozuka macrumors 68020

i guess it's time to post this again.. ;)

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

17. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

18. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

We don’t know that the X was delayed, or if it was, why. Staggering the release with that of the 8 may have always been the plan.

19. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I think getting the sensor in the x is likely whats caused the delay. Hell they are still having issues now so guessing it’s nor easy tech to sort.

20. Appurushido thread starter macrumors 6502

Could be a short delay due to sensors or an artificially created delay, just so the iPhone 8 does not get canabalized if it was sold on the same day. That's just my opinion whether you agree or disagree. They have a little over 12 million iPhone X ready for launch. iPhone 6 to date has the most day one sales at around 10-13 million. If you take the iPhone 8, I'm sure there has to be at least 5-8 million available. Guess we'll find out in about a months time.

21. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

It would, but I need the phone to be smaller also, before I buy.

Easy one-handed usability ranks right up there with TouchID for me. One without the other is a compromise for me.

22. Brenetics macrumors newbie

Brenetics

I hope it comes with 600mhz support...thats the only reason i'm holding off on getting one this year.

23. USC_Gamecock macrumors 6502

USC_Gamecock

I'll buy now, and again next year and every year after that. AT&T Next ...

24. konicky macrumors regular

Apparently word on the street is that the headphone jack is coming back too !! :)

25. the future macrumors 65816

"Word on the street" :rolleyes:

If FaceID works as advertised, as it surely will, TouchID is absolutely redundant in devices with FaceID. It would only add unnecessary complexity without adding any functionality.