Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
These threads, and the opinions/rumors inside these threads, have really jumped the shark.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think Touch ID is coming back as I feel like Face ID will be much simpler and they have already made the move to a gesture based OS, which I think is something they have wanted for a long time. There really isn't any reason to waste time on implementing Touch ID into the screen.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Except you're wrong. Of course Apple is working to get Touch ID under the display, eventually they want you to have both options to unlock your phone. The S8 has facial recognition, iris scanner and fingerprint scanner. And you think Apple will not want to have both Touch ID and Face ID? You're crazy if you think they don't.

Like insiders have said Apple were getting low yield rates with the fingerprint under the display so they didnt include it in the iPhone X but you can bet your sweet tatas it will come whether its 2018 or 2019 who knows.

So your presenting your opinions as facts... You’ll be waiting a looonngggg time for Apple to realise a phone with Face ID and Touch ID.

Reactions: hush17

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Except you're wrong. Of course Apple is working to get Touch ID under the display, eventually they want you to have both options to unlock your phone. The S8 has facial recognition, iris scanner and fingerprint scanner. And you think Apple will not want to have both Touch ID and Face ID? You're crazy if you think they don't.

Like insiders have said Apple were getting low yield rates with the fingerprint under the display so they didnt include it in the iPhone X but you can bet your sweet tatas it will come whether its 2018 or 2019 who knows.

Well then thank goodness they went with the super high yields of the FaceID system o_O

Reactions: apolloa

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
heard from a friend that knows someone's baby momma who works at the mall selling pro-active at a koisk close to an apple store who's friends with the lady selling perfume who's boyfriend is a retail employee at the apple store said the 2021 iPhone is supposed to come with USB-c and a headphone jack.

you heard it here first!!

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
heard from a friend that knows someone's baby momma who works at the mall selling pro-active at a koisk close to an apple store who's friends with the lady selling perfume who's boyfriend is a retail employee at the apple store said the 2021 iPhone is supposed to come with USB-c and a headphone jack.

you heard it here first!!

That’s more reliable then mr ‘word on the street’..

Reactions: yanki01

4ppleg1rl

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017
You can't really say at this point if Touch ID is coming back or if Face ID is the future. What happens if everyone buys the X and HATES Face ID? What if no one can get used to it? What if there are too many problems? You can't really know anything until we have a decent amount of time with Face ID to work it all out. Face ID might be a complete flop for all you know (unlikely, but you never know).

I would LOVE for Touch ID to come back but knowing Apple, it most likely won't.

Reactions: ABC5S

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
You can't really say at this point if Touch ID is coming back or if Face ID is the future. What happens if everyone buys the X and HATES Face ID? What if no one can get used to it? What if there are too many problems? You can't really know anything until we have a decent amount of time with Face ID to work it all out. Face ID might be a complete flop for all you know (unlikely, but you never know).

I would LOVE for Touch ID to come back but knowing Apple, it most likely won't.

I could see the potential for a huge push back against the X from China/Japan/Muslim countries - lots of wealthy customers that have face coverings regularly and may find it difficult or impossible to use faceID

4ppleg1rl

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017
I could see the potential for a huge push back against the X from China/Japan/Muslim countries - lots of wealthy customers that have face coverings regularly and may find it difficult or impossible to use faceID

That's so true, I didn't even think about that. I wonder how much influence those countries would have on Apple's decisions though.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010

I can see it now... a new thread titled 'iPhone X is Anti-Muslim By Using FaceID as Sole Biometric Authentication Method' (I am not making that). I don't get why Muslim Countries, China, and Japan would be so special, any doctor wearing a face mask would have FaceID problems.

4ppleg1rl

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017
I can see it now... a new thread titled 'iPhone X is Anti-Muslim By Using FaceID as Sole Biometric Authentication Method' (I am not making that). I don't get why Muslim Countries, China, and Japan are so special, any doctor wearing a face mask would have FaceID problems.

Doctors wearing face masks wouldn't usually be using their phones though? They'd be busy doing doctor things.
They don't walk around the shops with a mask on, do they...

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I can see it now... a new thread titled 'iPhone X is Anti-Muslim By Using FaceID as Sole Biometric Authentication Method' (I am not making that). I don't get why Muslim Countries, China, and Japan would be so special, any doctor wearing a face mask would have FaceID problems.

In Japan and China people walk around outside with face masks all the time. It would be a PITA to take off your mask (which you’re wearing to prevent germs spreading) just to unlock your phone to check something.

Basically all those countries may en duo with people reverting to passcodes - not something they will expect from a phone positioned as premium as this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.