Carrier Rumor that AT&T will end 2 year contracts at the end of May

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barkomatic, Apr 16, 2015.

1. mhdena macrumors 6502

Very few people dish out full price for an iphone compared to those who buy subsidized.

If 2 year contracts are done, i wonder what would happen to iphone sales. I can't imagine people dishing out 700 for a iphone device. All the people that i know who have a iphone is because they are on a 2 year contract and got the device for free.

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Financing options will become what people go for, which are fairly similar to contracts.

3. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Yep me too. Been with AT&T for 10+ years. I'll be looking somewhere else myself.

----------

Not really. I got an iPhone 6/64GB on a 2 year contract upgrade and the cost was $299.99. We have a 4 line grandfathered plan and each line has unlimited data, unlimited text, shared voice minutes.

Next which is financing comes out to close to 2x more. It also depends on your circumstance. Example if I didn't have the $299.99 up front I could 'finance' with Next 20 and the cost would be more because I'm 'financing' it. 2 year contract upgrades for me are significantly less money. But like I said it depends on your circumstances.

4. imlynxy macrumors 65816

5. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

There's also the discount that applies when financing on current plans that offsets the monthly price to some degree. While there's a built in subsidy payment in the monthly line price on the older devices. So people are paying for the phone in a monthly fashion one way or another. The difference is that the older plans don't get the discount for financing, and that's likely part of what's behind the change, to try to get more people onto current plans.

6. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

This is true, but the only thing they will have to do is:

Two Year Contract*

In the Fine Print:
    *On Participating Carriers

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

You should keep it only if the data plan is cheaper. I have 6GB mobile share for $40 and I am forced to use tablet less and less. iPad Air with DataConnection 250MB data for 15 a month. :apple:

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I jumped ship on 2 year contracts when I got my S5 last year.

I despise being locked into contracts with ETF's.

Next is emancipating.

9. Chevelle macrumors regular

Next is awesome. It's like leasing a phone. 300 bucks a year and you can change yearly or sooner. My next contract was due in June. Paid 50 bucks today to pay off my contract and got a 6. The screen feels smaller but that's a different topic I guess. But next is great.

10. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

They may stop offering the plan, but there is no way they can take them away from current customers. That will have to die out as the current customers change plans.

11. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

Unfortunately they will probably let then run out with no renewals. I guess we'll all see soon enough.

12. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Honestly, this wouldn't be a bad move anyways. Overall TCO for 2 years is a bit cheaper on a Next Plan or a buy outright plan. I created this spreadsheet in Numbers, and to get that subsidy, you are paying a $150 premium for Apple's price in the slides over 2 years.

The spreadsheet is based on a 64 GB 6+. Prices for AT&T's service plan comes from AT&T's website and the phone pricing comes from Apple's Online Store. This assumes that the phone and service is kept a full 24 months from the date of purchase.

Attached Files:

13. Ron20 macrumors member

I hope it doesn't cancel the plan due to i have it as well and thankfully i just upgraded

----------

I love my 2 year contract due to it keeps me from getting a new phone every year plus since its my grandmas account i respect her and won't increase the bill any. But we have 2 lines so i can switch she loves her iphone4s to much to change

14. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I've never seen them do that, not ATT. I'm pretty sure folks will be able to keep what they have until they decide to terminate. They still renter the original iPad unlimited plan for 29.95 per month with people using 70gb of data monthly. And allow the people to continue even after switching devices. Imo, if they were going to dump anyone, it would be those plans.

15. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

I surely hope you are right. Even though I don't use a ton of data, I like my grandfathered plans just the way they are.

16. Surreal macrumors 6502a

They only 'make' you trade it in if you haven't finished paying it off, no? That was my interpretation of the plan. Once you pay it off, you are no longer 'in' the next program so this just encourages you to finish paying off the phone before you purchase another, which makes sense.

17. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I sold my Verizon UDP last year and went to AT&T when they did the double data promo. I've been happy with them and haven't had any issues. I did the next plan and actually like it. Upgrade every year with the same bill.

18. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

That's about right.

You have the choice to trade in your phone and upgrade early or pay-off your device and keep it.

AT&T leaves it up to you to decide.

I've used Next 3 times in 12 months on the same line. I think it's awesome.

19. tecnho macrumors 6502

I am grandfathered in with unlimited data an use an average of 6GB/Month with some months going over 8 or 9 and I always get the minimal 450 min talk. ATT data plan for 10 is listed as 100$. Should I assume that in any scenario I should hold on to my unlimited plan? I don't care if I upgrade after a year or two, but am interested what you guys think would be the most economical path based on these new hypothetical developments?

20. Rayfire macrumors 68030

Rayfire

We're in the same boat. I've run my own math on AT&T, and from what I can tell, retaining your grandfathered plan for a single line is the best plan with subsidy. I'd rather just pay $200 every 2yrs to upgrade rather than paying extra $25-30/mo to cover the purchase. I don't plan on upgrading phones every year anyway (unless work forced me to).

If you're on a family plan, that will be a different story.

21. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Been with AT&T since 2007, when my unlimited data goes, so does my money. :)

22. tecnho macrumors 6502

I agree with you both. My question is what do we do if they cut off our access to the 2-year contract/subsidized purchase?

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    I will just go to T-Mobile with all 4 of my lines.

24. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

Great, why should you pay to cancel you phone plan. You don't have to pay to cut off your cable or power..It's just a rip off

25. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Because you didn't pay the full price for the phone and got it subsidized by promising to be on a contract and paying the rest of it off that way? It's rather simple (whether or not many might actually get it or care to get it).