Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's rumored high-end iPad Pro models to be released next year will be 5G-enabled with mmWave support, according to sources cited by industry publication DigiTimes.

iPad-Pro-5G-and-Mini-LED-feature.jpg

Multiple rumors have suggested Apple is planning to release a high-end 12.9-inch iPad Pro with a mini-LED display next year, with the possibility that there will be an 11-inch mini-LED model too, but details beyond that have been scant.

According to today's report, however, Apple's success in developing its own in-house mmWave AiP (antenna in package) modules for next year's iPhone lineup has increased the likelihood that next-generation models in Apple's iPad range will also benefit.
The self-sufficiency in design and development of AiP modules also means that Apple's next-generation high-end iPad products to be released in 2021 may also come with mmWave technology, said the sources.
While not specified, it is almost certain that these models would be iPad Pros given 5G is a high-end feature with higher production costs.

mmWave or millimeter wave is a set of 5G frequencies that promise ultra-fast speeds at short distances, making it best suited for dense urban areas. By comparison, sub-6GHz 5G is generally slower than mmWave, but the signals travel further, better serving suburban and rural areas. iPhone 12 models in the U.S. exclusively support mmWave, while next year's iPhone series could see a wider rollout of the technology.

According to DigiTimes' sources, Apple's latest push on the development of AiP modules indicates that it is moving one step further towards develop RF front-end (RF-FEM) modules in-house, with the ultimate goal of supplying its own modem devices.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says that production will begin on mini-LED displays for the iPad Pro in the fourth quarter of 2020, with a launch expected in the first half of 2021. DigiTimes has also reported that a mini-LED iPad Pro will launch in early 2021, as has Korea's ETNews.

Article Link: Rumored 2021 High-End iPad Pro May Feature 5G With mmWave Support

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Are there rumors if Apple is going with iPad fold? Fold seemed to be a trend nowadays. Seen a video of MKBHD.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Bring. It. On.

I don’t care too much about the 5G, but man... I’ve had the 2018 iPad Pro 12.9” since it came out and am excited to see what changes they’ve made.

I figured there was no point in upgrading to the 2019. I would definitely get a 13”-15” iPad Pro too.

Hopefully it comes out in March!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
so far only 12.9 rumours but be interesting if they don't release an 11 inch version. I'm sure some won't be too impressed if that's the case.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I want to mention, mmWave is not 5G only, mmWave WiFi ( 802.11ad / ay, what was used to known as Wi-Gig ) so Apple may also be preparing for a future where mmWave would be used for Devices to Devices Direct Data Transfer with speed faster than USB3. ( Single Link from 20 - 40Gbps, you could expect a real world performance of at least 50%, so 10 - 20Gbps depending on spectrum )

Although I would have thought D2D with WiFI 6E would be enough for most cases, you get ~2Gbps with that.

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
Please make a 17" model so we can turn it into a 17" laptop with an attached keyboard.
16" Maybe?
ok, 15"
Why not a 17” MBP with detachable touch display? Would run macOS and iOS/iPadOS! Of course the price would be steep, but if you’re going to dream...

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Why not a 17” MBP with detachable touch display? Would run macOS and iOS/iPadOS! Of course the price would be steep, but if you’re going to dream...
I think that would be too much of a hardware mess (it would make it top-heavy).

A large iPad that runs macOS only when a keyboard and mouse/trackpad is paired (disabling the touchscreen) would suffice.

But I think the iPad/MK combo is about as good as it's going to get.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Apple may also be preparing for a future where mmWave would be used for Devices to Devices Direct Data Transfer with speed faster than USB3
Serious question: is there such a thing as device to device transfer in the world of Apple? I've used Mac laptops, iPhones, and iPads for 13+ years, and the only reliable way I've ever found to transfer from one device to another is to upload it to the internet on one device and then download it on the other. Or for laptop to laptop, use thumb drive sneakernet. They've never had working network transfer capabilities like the Windows world I came from (where you just share a folder/drive on the network easy-peasy). And AirDrop has so many weird permissions and instantiation issues I doubt anyone has ever figured out how to make it work.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I am more interested in MiniLED than 5G for my next 12.9-inch iPad Pro to replace my 2018 model, but since it will have a cellular option, anyway, if it can be 5G, why not.

Are there rumors if Apple is going with iPad fold? Fold seemed to be a trend nowadays. Seen a video of MKBHD.

There is a new rumor that Apple will release new iPad Pros in early 2021 using MiniLED displays, followed by OLED display units in late 2021. On the surface, this sounds counterproductive, but currently all of the "folding" devices use OLED so that could be a sign Apple is planning a new model of iPad that uses foldable OLED.

Reactions: PickUrPoison
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.