Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Actually it would have. Split-screen multitasking is not something you can implement easily. It's very difficult to get it right. Maybe you've heard this before (sarcasm yes), but Apple (and Jobs) are (were) prone to get things right at all costs.

Well, I'd say Microsoft's two-year-old implementation is great and very easy to use. Apple's implementation, if it ever comes, may indeed be even easier. However, they're still pretty late.

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
This is easily the most ridiculous post I've read on MacRumors all week.

Half baked multitasking by Microsoft? I guess you are not aware that Microsoft tablets are running Windows 8.1 which is a fully fledged desktop & tablet OS that of course allows multitasking.

Yes, some Mac Users have their own truth.;)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Half baked multitasking by Microsoft? I guess you are not aware that Microsoft tablets are running Windows 8.1 which is a fully fledged desktop & tablet OS that of course allows multitasking.

ksuyen doesn't seem to know what he's talking about...

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
TLDR but has anyone accused Microsoft or Samsung of copying Apple's multitasking yet?

Isnt it funny how people can predict some of the usual responses! The below has popped up a few times in this thread.

"Apple are taking their time because they are doing it properly."

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
He would wait, until he deemed it ready to be shown to the public.

If apple will do multitasking they will do it right.

I will be waiting to purchase my iPad until I know which device(s) will support this new feature. I would find it useful.

Am I missing something here? Again, the feature hasn't been cancelled. Surely this isn't the first time a company is previewing a feature incomplete product?

Nope, but I got burned on my iPhone 4 when it was rumored (I think Apple even listed on its website) that the iPhone 4 would support Siri but then it never happened. I don't plan on getting burned again by buying hardware that doesn't support a software feature I want.

Last edited:

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Funny how commenters on this forum bash Microsoft all the time. Yet, lack of multitasking on the iPad suddenly has made Apple (iPad) inferior. Strange this thing called petty jealousy.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Perhaps they saw the concept video at the top of this thread, and said, "Oh drat, it looks better than our version!" and had to go back and work on theirs some more :)

--

Re: copying. Who cares who did it first, as long as it gets implemented.

Seems to me that people think this is easier than it is. Here's something Gruber posted on daring fireball about Microsoft's implementation:

But the interface for managing this is opaque, abstract, and complicated. You need to know how to do it before you can do it. There is nothing self-evident about it. If anything, it’s more abstract to manage side-by-side apps in Metro than it is in regular desktop Windows. With traditional windows on Windows and Mac OS X, you directly manipulate the window itself to move or resize it. In Metro, you need to memorize special edge gestures to enter different modes for rearranging, entering, or leaving the split-screen mode.

There has to be a better way.

I don't mind if this is delayed if it's because it's not ready yet. I'd rather have it delayed and Apple do a proper job of it than have them rush to get something half baked ready for WWDC.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Seems to me that people think this is easier than it is. Here's something Gruber posted on daring fireball about Microsoft's implementation:
But the interface for managing this is opaque, abstract, and complicated. You need to know how to do it before you can do it. There is nothing self-evident about it.

True, but then, there's also nothing self-evident about the multi-clicking Home button overload actions that Apple has had to do, because of their refusal to add more physical or virtual buttons.

For that matter, pinch-zoom, swipe to go back, and swipe up / down for control / notifications, or sideways to delete, are all actions that most people have to first know about. Easy to remember once shown, but not obvious to anyone new to touch devices, because they're hidden gestures.

I don't mind if this is delayed if it's because it's not ready yet. I'd rather have it delayed and Apple do a proper job of it than have them rush to get something half baked ready for WWDC.

Everyone says this, but Apple's cursor control and copy selection are a pain sometimes compared to Android. The lack of a Back button is too. Overloading the Home button with multiple click behavior is also just a hack that would be derided on any other system. So no, I don't think they always "do it right".

tl;dr - It's not unusual to have to learn a new gesture or button sequence, before it becomes "intuitive".

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This is honestly something that wouldn't have happened under Steve. That's the only time I'll say it -- I promise. But honestly... :(:(:(

Lol, that's totally right. Jobs would have convinced consumers that they did not need multitasking, he was a genius at convincing smart people that they were really stupid. Sarcasm aside, I admired him greatly for this incredible marketing ability.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
True, but then, there's also nothing self-evident about the multi-clicking Home button overload actions that Apple has had to do, because of their refusal to add more physical or virtual buttons.

For that matter, pinch-zoom, swipe to go back, and swipe up / down for control / notifications, or sideways to delete, are all actions that most people have to first know about. Easy to remember once shown, but not obvious to anyone new to touch devices, because they're hidden gestures.

Everyone says this, but Apple's cursor control and copy selection are a pain sometimes compared to Android. The lack of a Back button is too. Overloading the Home button with multiple click behavior is also just a hack that would be derided on any other system. So no, I don't think they always "do it right".

tl;dr - It's not unusual to have to learn a new gesture or button sequence, before it becomes "intuitive".
I hated the back button when I had an android phone. That's one thing I hope never comes to iOS. If split screen multi tasking isn't ready yet and is iPad only then maybe Apple will save it for the iPad announcement later this year.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Why mac? why not MacPro? with that graphics and speed you could have THOUSANDS of windows opened at the same time:eek:

Dont be foolish, iOS needs better and more usable multitasking. This current system is slow and useless.

Don't be foolish to force yourself to get all your tasks done on a tablet, which is designed to be far better at some things but not all of them.

Btw, MacPro is also Mac.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Also, multiple user account support for the iPad? Split-screen multitasking is cool and all, but it's a little ridiculous that the iPad, a fully capable UNIX-based machine, doesn't support multiple users.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This is easily the most ridiculous post I've read on MacRumors all week.

Agreed!

Not to mention that the reply was even more obscure. Saying that it's not intuitive is just insane. . . . . it's a run of the mill full operating system.

----------

Win 8 tablet interface for managing side-by-side apps is opaque, abstract, and complicated. You need to know how to do it before you can do it. There is nothing self-evident about it. If anything, it’s more abstract to manage side-by-side apps in Metro than it is in regular desktop Windows.

But we do have the choice of regular desktop Windows.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Allot of Apple people will be disappointed with this decision..

(Not me of course.... I can never be disappointed)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Roopesh Chander has thoughts on some of the technical issues facing Apple with split-screen multitasking:

The case of the status bar might look like a small thing, but I take that as a significant hint. The iOS 7 transparent status bar works best with one app on the screen at a time. Apple being the company that thinks through well before shipping a design, it’s unlikely that they set the status bar transparent in iOS 7 and change course in the next major version.

Imagining developing for a split-screen iPad

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Funny how commenters on this forum bash Microsoft all the time. Yet, lack of multitasking on the iPad suddenly has made Apple (iPad) inferior. Strange this thing called petty jealousy.

I agree. Better to discuss. There is no one perfect product in every way.

In fact the SP is a full fledged PC, the iPad is very much a subset of a full computer, cutdown and restricted. But great for consumption

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Where have you been? Doesn't apple do this all the time with everything?

I know, and as a shareholder as well, I do appreciate Apple wanting to make me more money, but I'm just saying that size alone shouldn't be what determines whether the best features are included. I have an iPad mini because I like the size of it, not because I want to pay less or because I want a less powerful iPad. I'd be happy with Apple offering an iPad mini stripped down for the cost conscious, but a fully loaded one should also be available. And the same is true for the upcoming iPhone 6.....a lot of people will want the full featured iPhone without having to hold a tablet to their head to make a call. I'm fine if they make a stripped down smaller one, but there better also be a smaller one with the full features.

For this split screen feature, there's no technical reason not to offer it as both iPads have the exact same screen real estate and the same family of processors. If they leave it off the mini, I'm sure Apple will claim that the experience isn't optimal because half of a small screen is too hard for most people to see.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I hated the back button when I had an android phone. That's one thing I hope never comes to iOS.

This is a genuine question, I am curious, why did you hate the back button? If you didn't want to use it, surely not touching it was all that was needed. Genuine question, not starting an argument.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I know, and as a shareholder as well, I do appreciate Apple wanting to make me more money, but I'm just saying that size alone shouldn't be what determines whether the best features are included. I have an iPad mini because I like the size of it, not because I want to pay less or because I want a less powerful iPad. I'd be happy with Apple offering an iPad mini stripped down for the cost conscious, but a fully loaded one should also be available. And the same is true for the upcoming iPhone 6.....a lot of people will want the full featured iPhone without having to hold a tablet to their head to make a call. I'm fine if they make a stripped down smaller one, but there better also be a smaller one with the full features.

For this split screen feature, there's no technical reason not to offer it as both iPads have the exact same screen real estate and the same family of processors. If they leave it off the mini, I'm sure Apple will claim that the experience isn't optimal because half of a small screen is too hard for most people to see.

I read there is a real tech issue to split screen, programming and layout wise. It might be good to have but even the full iPad is too small and there is the issue of battery if there is real multi tasking. But too small and the swipe gesture is quick and easy

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Don't be foolish to force yourself to get all your tasks done on a tablet, which is designed to be far better at some things but not all of them.

Btw, MacPro is also Mac.

This is what Microsoft doesn't get. A tablet is a completely different thing than a PC. So far, any combination PC/tablet has been poorly designed and has not done anything better than its tablet or PC counterparts.

wrightc23

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Seems to work quite well on my Galaxy Note 3. It's a feature I really wish they'd already rolled out on iOS 7. Seems to me that iOS 7 should have been focusing on new useful features rather than simply eye candy.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Samsung is a Nissan GTR that can't see the "cool" Mini Cooper Apple on the rear view mirror.

What a strange comparision. The GT-R walks all over most other sports cars - often at less than half the cost.

The GT-R is a member of the very exclusive '0-60mph in less than 3 seconds' club that only a small handful of other production cars (Lamborghini Aventador and Porsche 997 turbo s being two) comes close to in stock configuration.

Comparing a GT-r to a Mini Cooper as an analogy for Samsung and Apple? Might as well compare a motorbike to a three-legged donkey.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Maybe it'll roll over into iOS 8.1

Isn't that supposed to be a major upgrade, as there are a handful of features that aren't ready for 8.0 yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.