Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
So you are claiming that even though Samsung has had this feature for years, Apple developed this identical feature for iPad in a complete vacuum and independently of what Samsung and Microsoft are doing?

None of them can really claim to be working in vacuum given it's been on the previous generation* of computing devices for 20years.

Also unless they do something really novel to make it work better for the form factor or workflow we shouldn't let any of them get away with calling it innovative either.

*yes I'm lumping in desktop and laptop as one generation.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I hope the new OS X is exciting because every other WWDC "leak" has not panned out.

New iMac? Nope.
New iPhone 5S? Nope.
Split-screen iOS? Nope.
Home automation? Nope.
New Apple TV software? Nope.
New Apple TV? Nope.
iWatch? Nope.

You forgot no iPhone 6.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Wow, just wow. You would think that the populace of Macrumors would see through the ******** after all of these years. Some muppet predicts a feature/product/application then prior to when they stated it would be announced they backtrack and say, oh, it's not ready. And all of the forum posters go "oh no, I really wanted to see that"

This will also be the case with the 5.5" iPhone 6 btw

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
Could care less about this, I can see two screens at same time now on my iphone and flip between the two. I would like Siri to actually be improved.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
If this hadn't been posted I would have done so. haha. Yeah that's what this screamed at me when I saw this article posted...
Crap implementation on a crap device does not inspire envy. Just like cut and paste was on competing devices first but it sucked, bad. Apple waited until they could get it right. I like that they don't just throw in anything just to say "FIRST!"

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Noooo why nooot ?? i was hoping for a WWDC demo of this
Because it was bunk to begin with. Now they are just back-pedalling to hide the fact that they made this rumour up in the first place. Joke's on you.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Glad to see Windows and Android innovation finally coming to iOS.

If Apple would listen to it's user base every now and again, this would have happened long ago. Instead, they wait until the competition is kicking their butt with features before implementing it themselves. This is why I'll always praise competition.

----------

iOS should be kept simple. If you want multitasking feature, get a Mac.

Would you have also said "If you want Intel, buy a PC" back in the day?

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
It’s not that hard to spot the Samsung trolls in this post claiming Apple is copying Samsung.

But they are ;-)

Funny is... Every time there is a rumor about a project and it sees daylight by another company it's always like "Oh so Samsung heard this rumor and made it to be first"

No... The rumor might from the start not have been about Apple.

Every company are copy cats in one way or the other. And lately Apple has made nothing new or inspiring.

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
I hope the new OS X is exciting because every other WWDC "leak" has not panned out.

New iMac? Nope.
New iPhone 5S? Nope.
Split-screen iOS? Nope.
Home automation? Nope.
New Apple TV software? Nope.
New Apple TV? Nope.
iWatch? Nope.

Yeah, but we will be assured that there are plenty of "very exciting new products" in the pipeline.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
So Apple is now copying Samsung with split screen app usage. First it was Motorola with the fingerprint scanner and the round smartwatch and now split screen. Karma is a Btch.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Yep. if Steve wanted it ready for WWDC, you'd bet your ass it would be ready for WWDC.

----------

Actually, Steve was known for not delaying, but berating people until they got it done right - on time.

Maybe it wasn't supposed to be announced at WWDC to begin with? Or maybe this rumor is wrong and it will be announced? Or maybe there is no split screen feature coming?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Split screen like that we saw in Samsung TouchWiz UI since 2012? #thinkdifferent

Beat me to it.

Sadly, even with TouchWiz and the Note and Galaxy Tab series you got split screen and floating window, so technically you could run three apps on the Notes and I think up to four or five apps on the Tabs.

Windows 8 on the Surface and other Windows 8 tablets are only limited by the hardware; we're talking about full fledged OS capabilities there.

He would wait, until he deemed it ready to be shown to the public.

If apple will do multitasking they will do it right.

Exactly, late to the game and slightly awkward and different.

jjrtiger

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
Boulder, CO
I think the process for invoking split-screen applications will be very similar to the way we've been creating folders in iOS:

1) Bring up app switcher
2) Press and hold an app - all compatible apps begin to wiggle or have some noticeable effect
3) Drag app onto the desired app for split-screen

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
This is honestly something that wouldn't have happened under Steve. That's the only time I'll say it -- I promise. But honestly... :(:(:(

The answer is "What Will People Still Be Saying in Twenty Years?". Next up, I'll take Beating a Dead Horse for $800, Trebek!

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Perhaps not the dumbest idea for certain situations, like jotting down some details from the net or a slideshow...

Why type if you can just drag and drop? Select a (or multiple) text (or image, data, chart, song, video, even an app) from App 1, drag it and drop it to App 2.

Also, by reducing the memory and power consumption by half during the multitasking, it will give zero impact to battery life and operation speed.

Now, this sort of thing is what Apple good at. NOT a half-baked multitasking offered by Microsoft and Samsung. So I'd prefer Apple to take their time to make it right, rather than release it first (yeah, it works but not good enough) and claims it as FIRST while other companies copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.