Rumors of The Beatles Coming to iTunes Renewed Yet Again

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A recent report that Apple has scheduled a music-focused media event for September 9th has once again sparked speculation that The Beatles may finally be coming to iTunes. The speculation is primarily driven by the scheduling of several other Beatles-related events on the same day.

In March, EMI Group announced that a Beatles version of the popular Rock Band music-themed video game would be released for the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and Wii on September 9th. That announcement was followed a month later by news that the entire remastered Beatles catalog would be released on CD on the same day. At the time, EMI Group and Beatles holding company Apple Corps noted only that discussions regarding digital distribution were ongoing.
    While no further indication from EMI, Apple Corps, or others close to The Beatles or Apple have suggested that an iTunes deal is imminent, the timing of these events has unavoidably resulted in new speculation regarding an agreement.

Rumors of The Beatles coming to iTunes have repeatedly surfaced since Apple's launch of its digital download store. Despite conflict between the two companies over the use of the "Apple" trademark in the music business that stretched into 2007, claims of The Beatles appearing on iTunes have surfaced on a regular basis over the years:

- April 2006: Apple Corps' Neil Aspinall revealed that the company was in the process of remastering the Beatles catalog and preferred not to release Beatles tracks for digital distribution until the remastered versions became available.
    - November 2006: Fortune reported that final details of a deal were reportedly being worked out.
    - January 2007: Steve Jobs showing Beatles songs during an iPhone demo at Macworld San Francisco and several other unconfirmed reports suggested that a release might occur either on Valentine's Day or Super Bowl Sunday.
    - May 2007: Apple announced that Paul McCartney's new solo album would be launched on iTunes, following reports from McCartney himself that The Beatles' catalog would soon be available online.
    - August 2007: Speculation that the tag line for Apple's upcoming media event, "The beat goes on," was a reference to The Beatles' final press release renewed rumors of a Beatles-iTunes announcement.
    - March 2008: Reports surfaced that Paul McCartney and Apple had struck a $400 million deal to bring The Beatles to iTunes, although the claim was quickly denied by Apple.
    - November 2008: McCartney reported that discussions regarding bringing The Beatles to iTunes had "stalled".

Article Link: Rumors of The Beatles Coming to iTunes Renewed Yet Again

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

3. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

lol - who cares? why it is such a big deal? buy the new box set coming out which is a remaster of many of their albums

this is such a stupid story - no thanks to steve jobs

this is like brett farvre - someone needs to let it die

4. blueskyrocket macrumors newbie

I'll believe, when I see it

Besides, I've already ripped my LP's & CD's of the Fab Four:eek:

5. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

It just will not happen. Ever. The end.

Peace and love.
    </Ringo>

6. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

can i ask you what stops you from digitizing your own copy of the Beatles albums?

is there something magical i missed that an itunes version has?

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

How is this stupid??? Seriously, without The Beatles, music wouldn't be anywhere near where it is today, yet people like you act as if The Beatles are some insignificant band.

Sure, most fans of The Beatles will purchase the CDs, but what about people my age (15-20) or even younger, who haven't been exposed to The Beatles? They're not going to go spend $200 on the remastered CDs. They might want a few tracks, and they'll build from there.

The Beatles will eventually come to iTunes, and I look forward to that day, even though I already have pre-ordered the remasters. I look forward to the day when people my age learn what real music is.

Don

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I hope this is true, just so this sub-plot can be wrapped up finally.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles, but this would be a big deal for Apple. I'd love to see them gain the Beatles catalog, even though I'd likely not buy any of it personally.

jW

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

beatles? who is that?

seriously that is the kind of music where I would rather buy the CD set than a lower quality AAC. And I would want the box and album art and all that. And of course the vinyl as long as my vinyl player still works....

11. safasule macrumors member

safasule

I would LOVE to see The Beatles invading iTunes, but I can't see it happening as long as there's an Apple Corp. - regardless of good/bad blood between the two Apples :)

12. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Then people like you can buy 2 albums. 1 and Love.

By buying both of those CDs, you will have officially found the few good songs they have done, as well as encompassing their years of drug use and bad so-called "music".

Please. I AM the walrus.

Edit:
    Don't think of it as not being exposed to the Beatles. Think of it as being spared.

13. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

dude u don't need to spend $200 - why not go pick up Beatles - One and start from there.

there is no need to wait for a stupid itunes version.

btw if your age is 15-20 then you are very familiar with torrents. i'm not condoning it but it's what i hear is hip these days with the kids and it has the entire discography for you.

but if it's something about support itunes then that's a whole other mess you are taking about....

14. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

why not.. they already sold out and did the Rock Band thing...

15. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

And so something besides POS rap will be on the top of the iTunes charts.

Unfortunately, Apple Corps. and EMI don't want to release the remasters on vinyl. Now watch, the day that my box set gets here, EMI will announce vinyl remasters.

Don

16. stellaclose macrumors member

Who cares....

I couldn't care less. As others have said, if you really want the Beattles go and buy the CD's/Box Set and import it to your itunes/ipod. Hell, if you're a die-hard fan you already have the CD's anyway....And tt's probably going to be cheaper than it'll be on itunes anyway, and you have your own backup on CD :)

17. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

No no. You don't understand. The "die-hard" fans want to buy the CDs as well as the iTunes releases. Why? Well because they can "support" their favorite "band" further if they don't just rip the CDs, but go and buy the "songs" again.

18. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

he was being facetious :D

really are you guys all like this? the beatles music is so unattainable because it's not on itunes? :p

u are just plain silly. let me do you a favor - i'll send you some beatles cd's - just send them back.

lol - this is more like turning into let me throw my money to apple because steve jobs wants the beatles so bad on itunes - i can't think for myself but some reason want the same thing and want to see this 'drama' finish - so we can all celebrate!

ugh

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Whatever happens, I've got two $50 iTunes cards waiting for the Beatles.....:p:p:p

20. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Do you even know what you're saying? Do you have any idea about what music is? Have you ever listened to The White Album, Revolver, Rubber Soul, or Sgt. Pepper's? Obviously not.

The Beatles were musical geniuses, and Sir Paul still is IMO. They wrote some of the best songs that will ever be heard, and there are only a few songs that I consider subpar.

Once again, you're kidding me. I have every Beatles album in their UK discography on vinyl, in addition to the CDs, and soon I'll have the new remasters.

What you don't seem to understand is that most people my age don't buy CDs anymore. They only get their music from iTunes. So they really don't have much of a chance of being exposed to the great music that The Beatles made.

Don

21. Edge100 macrumors 68000

The Beatles entire catalogue has been remastered, so yes, there is something different.

You could either buy the remastered CDs and then rip them, or download the new versions from iTunes.

As it happens, the current Beatles CDs are all 1987 releases. Suffice it to say that digital technology has come a long way since 1987. The current CD releases are poor. I hope the remasters/remixes are of far better sonic quality, without changing the essentials of the original mixes. The quality of the remixes on the (relatively) new Yellow Submarine release suggest they will be (e.g. listen to 'Nowhere Man' on the new Yellow Submarine vs. the 1987 'Rubber Soul' disc...no comparison).

22. AforAndromeda macrumors member

AforAndromeda

For me that's good news.

I just think that when you rip the CD's it sometimes loses 'something' in the sound - even at 320/insane.
    Getting remastered mp3's without messing would imply the best mp3 sound you can get.

Maybe iTunes need to do FLAC or other formats as well.

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy...
    :)

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

After all the delays, the Beatles' iTunes arrival ought to be a big splashy event rather than a simple announcement, to make sure the word gets out to the baby boomers and their kids -- who were forced to listen to the Beatles until they became fans too. :)

After so many rumors, however, the pattern is clear: Beatles iTunes rumor, no Beatles in iTunes, Beatles iTunes rumor, no Beatles in iTunes, Beatles iTunes rumor, no Beatles in iTunes...

24. dr_lha macrumors 68000

The 09/09/09 date of Apple's announcement is too much of a coincidence IMHO, I think we'll be seeing The Beatles on iTunes.