Rumors that iPhone 5 will be delayed and be a minor upgrade - Don't believe it!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ohwhatda, May 14, 2011.

1. Ohwhatda macrumors newbie

We've had various "analysts" who according to "industry checks" are claiming the iPhone 5 will basically be the iPhone 4 (same case) but with a A4 CPU upgrade and a few very minor tweaks.

I'm not buying it. For every analyst who's right there's another ten who completely miss the mark. So what actually makes sense? What is the right move for Apple? You have to understand that Apple is a public company and their intent is to make as much money as humanly possible by putting out products that get us (the consumer) EXCITED. When was the last time that Steve Jobs said "And one more thing..." and unveiled a product that didn't make you go bananas? So why buy the idea that Steve is gonna unveil a weak upgrade at time when competition is fiercest?

You may be thinking, well historically Apple's upgrades each year haven't been huge leaps, and you'd be partially right. The iPhone 3G was pretty much the iPhone but with 3G as the single major feature. The 3GS was the 3G but with a faster processor and video recording. But then the iPhone 4 may have been the biggest bump of all with Retina Display, even faster processor, HD video recording, front facing camera/Face Time and 5 megapixel back camera.

And you might notice that with every revision Apple tends to address the previous phone's greatest flaw. No 3G and too expensive? Bam! Too slow? Bam! Needs a better screen, faster and video chat? Bam! So what is Steve going to followup with? Faster? And call it a day? Hardly.

With the coming onslaught of of Android phones Apple needs to stay on their toes. Apple is a software company so that's where they excel and plan to stay ahead of the game come WWDC. People want a simplified and intuitive experience and don't want to deal with learning how to use the 10 different flavors of Android Froyo Honey Ice Cream TouchWiz, BLEH. But they can't stand pushing out uncompetitively with a iPhone 4 rehash with barely any features to get us EXCITED.

Steve knows better. He's going to get us a bigger screen, which is one of the major weaknesses of the iPhone 4. The screen is beautiful but looks miniscule compared to those ridiculously sized 4.3" Android phones. I don't want a 4.3" screen but I fully expect the iPhone 5 to have between a 3.7-4" inch screen to close that gap. And there's a few rumors to support that as well.

And as for the case itself. I'm pretty sure Apple wants to move beyond the Atenna-Gate scandal. It was greatly exaggerated but it hurt Apple's public image. They'd be wise to redesign the case to remove any lingering doubts about the phones reception. Expect a case design (and there's a few rumors that support that as well).

And this phone isn't going to get delayed. Apple sells $65 BILLION dollars in products every year. What Apple wants, Apple gets. You think they're going to have problems getting parts ready? They literally purchased the entire flash memory market a few years ago and they're doing the same with the tablet screen market. There's millions of 3GS owners who are due for an upgrade and asking them to wait 3-5 more months for an upgrade is begging for Android to swoop in with all it's shiny new phones and pull away from Apple's bottom line.

So you heard it here. Using good o'l logic to sort through rumors. Bigger screen. Case redesign. A4 Processor/more RAM. Camera upgrades. No delay (released in June). And iOS 5 will blow us away too. Come back and call me Nostradamus when it comes true. ;)

2. sectime macrumors 6502a

If the 5 is not LTE then it will not matter what the internals are. Would Apple release a LTE phone to networks that are not ready?? How will the LTE deployment look in the Fall?

3. scelzifan macrumors 6502

If they were smart they would because 1 of the 2 carriers for the phone is ready and have been releasing 4G phones for several moths now. Now when/if the t-mobile merger goes through then they would be dumb not to release it with 4G capabilities. I honestly think that people will go other directions because of the lack of 4G because people want those incredibly fast speeds. I have a Thunderbolt as well and it's pretty incredible to have a phone that will download a movie in minutes and an album in seconds and stream you-tube like it's saved on your phone and not being streamed. I think the smart move would be to release it with the chip-set to make it 4G ready or risk losing a lot of customers.

4. sectime macrumors 6502a

The big outage aside, Verizon is not ready with a nationwide deployment, yet. For Apple to show the phone next month would make sense. Without knowing LTE data pricing, the capability might not matter.

5. jman800 macrumors regular

Heh, that would shake up the Tech blog sites wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

6. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I use 4G LTE with my iPhone 4 and iPad 2, and I have to admit, it is nice downoading and streaming over 4G. Problem for me though is my 4G LTE data will sometimes switch to 3G... but we are pretty much covered in socal. Another issue would be battery efficiency with 4G LTE in a iPhone. Battery power isn't an issue with me since my mifi 4G LTE is separate from my iPhone/iPad. Right now I like how long my iPhone lasts on 3G data... even when I am connected to 4G LTE.;)

7. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

If we don't see a phone in June, it better me more then a simple upgrade when the fall comes around. I'm not much into speculation, whatever comes, comes and I will evaluate it then.

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I REALLY hope that the next iPhone comes out in Sept or later. Screw everyone else who are already waiting! I just want my iPhone 4 to keep it's value as long as possible ;)

9. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I really never understood how something that was never announced could be delayed. :confused:

10. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I'm happy with iPhone 4, so a wait till sep isn't to bad but it better be amazing for this wait. As for LTE they if they like the chipset they could put it in just to wait to activate it, they did it with AT&T for it's 3G when they made it faster. Then again if majority of the time it won't be used then put it in. So most likely they won't pit it in but u never know.

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Gotta agree with a few points, the antennagate issue was a huge strike to Apple, and they'll definitely resolve it this time. So we should see an antenna redesign or rework so the death grip doesn't work.
    Definitely we'll be seeing an A5 processor. Camera upgrade also makes sense after Sony's leak.

I'm really hoping for a bigger screen, anywhere between 3.7" to 4", because 3.5" is so 2007. i'd like Apple to make use of the extra screen real estate with a good notification system.

I'm also hoping iOS 5 stays true to the rumors and is a major revamp of the OS. I was once an OS that was "5 years ahead of it's time". The 5 years are up.

I don't think that it'll come out in July though, the lack of info makes me believe that we'll see it in September.

I really hope that you're right though.

12. Ohwhatda thread starter macrumors newbie

I would love LTE too but I'm starting to think the initial chipsets may be too battery hungry to be included this year. Because one thing Apple never compromises on is battery life. The iPhone 4 as a 1420 mAH battery and the Thunderbolt has a 1400 mAH battery. From what I've read and from hearing reviews from friends, a Thunderbolt web surfing on 4G will drain the battery in ~3 hours. The Droid Charge seems to do much better though, as it has a 1600 mAH battery, and considering the iPhone 5/4S won't have a battery hungry 4.3" screen, if they upgraded the battery in the next iPhone I suppose it could be possible to include LTE without forcing the average user to charge their phone mid-day.

LTE is one feature I wish was more plausible but probably won't make it this year. I think Apple is eyeing a CDMA/GSM all-in-one phone to cut the cost of manufacturing two different devices. They'll probably include LTE next year when it's even more widespread (including the fact that ATT should have it deployed by then too) and after Qualcomm releases a LTE/CDMA combo chip in December that is supposed to be much more battery efficient.

13. superdudeo macrumors regular

I hope you're right with the screen size thing. If they don't increase it for next edition, they'll be on the back foot.

2011 has seen major competition so your analysis makes economic sense TBH.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm just hoping they release iOS 5 in June/July. I don't want to have to wait until September to get a real notification system!

15. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

You know if people applied a little bit of common senses they would realise that Apple is purposely putting out disinformation in its droves currently. After the leak last year, they will not let that happen again.

What is is the best way to cover your tracks? Pretend you are going in multiple directions. This is what Apple is doing currently, they are leaking information to find out the rats, while all that time it takes the focus away from their real purpose. I am sure some of the rumours are true, but figuring out which ones are is another matter.

It is a pretty much forgone conclusion that the next iPhone will have a bigger screen. However the thing that has barely changed over the years is the OS. This is what will be Apples big sell this year, software.

16. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Very well said. I'm not sure about a redesign mid stream though. It would make the ip4 an instant embarrassment, and apple would be admitting how much they screwed up with the iPhone 4 design.

Personally, I would love to see them eat crow on the antenna, glass back and 3.5" screen size (when they had the perfect opportunity to bump up the size on redesign), but I don't think it's going to happen.

17. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Just a few of thoughts:
    1) Last time SJ was off sick, we got a bump, not a fully blown new one. That was 2 years ago.
    2) John Gruber did say that there could be a surprise at the September iPod event, which everyone presumed was the iPad 3.
    3) I read on here that Apple was keeping its iPhone "cards close to its chest" and also that they hadn't ordered anything... if that was the case then those pictures of the camera contradict that, and god knows how the case would have been made.
    4) We haven't been previewed iOS5 - so either Apple are going to say "screw you developers, you have two weeks to make your app work" or it will be released in September time - or maybe around the time that iOS4 came to iPad last year (December?)... then again, the phone doesn't necessarily have to come out with new software, it could just come out with 4.4 (or similar).

18. Exhumed macrumors member

If iOS 5 is revealed in June and the iPhone 5 is released in July, they'll have at least a month to iron out compatibility issues.

TC is absolutely correct. And you know what else? I'm 70% sure the iPhone 5 will have 4G. When the iPhone came out, most people didn't have smartphones, and touch screen phones responded a half second after you put your finger on the screen.

"But 4G isn't established, it kills your battery life!" Okay, well then they'll let you turn it off, and they'll work on optimizing the efficiency of the OS. They're not stupid. 4G is ready enough, there are 4G phones all over the market now. 3G might have been huge in the tech world, but nobody else knew or cared much about it. I was still using a flip phone; touch screens were basically a gimmick. All of my friends bought DAREs and phones like that, and returned them a month later. I guarantee you every 12 year old out there is saying "I want a phone with 4G!" 4G is the benchmark, whether it's ready or not, and Apple would be silly not to include it.

"A minor redesign released in September" is a great rumor to get people to click on your news article and then comment on it with outrage.

19. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

what doesnt make sense is why would we have to wait until september for an iphone with only an A5 chip and an 8 mp camera. it wouldnt take Apple over year for just this upgrade. something is going on in cupertino. if apple only releases an iphone 5 with A5 and a new camera an makes us wait till september they are asking for hurt especially with android at its heels. the only thing i can think of is speed bumps in sep with new hardware between jan and march. this way they can keep better on track with android phones being released every other day. the iOS 5 preview not happening was a little weird though.

20. iMule macrumors 6502

You couldn't have said it any better. I remember hearing that the iPad 2 was going to be delayed. It actually came out earlier this year than the iPad 1 did last year with every single model available. Apple wouldn't be in business ifmthey were going to start delaying releases and only minor upgrades. Don't let yourself be fooled.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Apple (forgot who) has already stated in the All Thing Digital interview that they aren't looking at 4G for the next iPhone release.

22. outlawarth macrumors regular

Exactly. Very well said.

23. TheXFactor macrumors regular

Maybe a forgotten or unknown point. From what I understand, the 4G LTE chipset is huge compared to 3G. It's gonna make the phone fatter and thicker. Have a look at the 2 LTE phones on verizon now. The Thunderbolt and the Charge. And they aren't that size only because of the massive screens. The TB is a thick phone.

The other problem is because of the size of the chipset, the area that the battery fits into becomes more of an issue. Less space, smaller battery. Bigger phone, bigger battery. Catch 22 is you need the bigger battery because of the 4G power hungry chip.

24. binaryblob macrumors newbie

The longer they delay it, the more time they have to develop "features" that people actually want... like BT file tx!

25. ad2435 macrumors member

i can wait until fall, but if the other stuff isn't true, i'll seriously look at the competition.