Rumors to new iWork?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mattz, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Mattz macrumors newbie

Hi guys!
    Many time I don't see news from iWork. There is no new version since '09. What do you think about it and what do you know about it?
    I miss news especially for Keynote...
    Thanks for reply! :)

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

3. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Whatever Steve Jobs said they need...

Numbers certainly has a lot of catching up to do with Excel in terms of features, even if it's not meant for power users. There are always improvements to be made for the others.

4. Mattz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I miss a lot of things when I'm working. Good idea.. I would take a note ;)

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Keynote needs to beef up it's Audio/Video support.

Pages - for some reason pages doesn't leverage the same text engine. For instance if you make some settings changes in the "Languages and Text" System Pref to auto format characters it works fine in Text Edit but doesn't do a think in Pages. They're not on the same "Page" here.

Numbers - really needs better scripting capability to give you the same type of features VBA macros do.

6. Switcher2001 macrumors member

I totally agree. If apps like MacJournal can incorporate the core text engine, why can't Pages? And if TextEdit can open Word documents why can't it open Pages docs? How silly is that? Pages should be like a "TextEdit Plus."

7. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Speaking of not leveraging the same text engine, I believe Mail does this too.

A text font size of 12 in Mail looks much smaller than that on other email clients.

8. admanimal macrumors 68040

I don't think Apple intends iWork to ever really be an Office replacement in the sense that it will do every single thing you can with Office.

I think their goal for iWork is to just have it do 90% of the things that most people use these types of apps for, even if that means only doing 10% of the things you can do in the Office counterparts.

They have been steadily adding small updates so that it takes advantage of new OS X/iOS features, so it's not like they are just letting them completely stagnate.

9. Mattz thread starter macrumors newbie

I Agree. I guess Apple doesn't intend to iWork be an 'Office' replacement. It have their own focus. I don't think that apple will discontinue iWork, but this delay on a new version worries me. It makes me wonder what they are doing... even they giving some great update packages once in while.