Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
As for the 2008-2015 models, I have never once heard of a single incidence of failure.
Also, here's my aforementioned Staingate "Batsymbol" on my old 2014 MBP before it was replaced. Don't have any photos from it with the screen on but believe me, even then with bright colors and highest brightness it was still visible.

Yep, definitely no issue to see here.

Attachments

• staingate.png
    staingate.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 48

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Is it so? I still see a lot of threads about "MBP 2018 keyboard failures", but all of them seem to be asking whether it has been fixed. I have hardly seen anyone reporting a keyboard failure on a new model ;)

You obviously didn't even bother with that thread. There are multiple users on their 3rd or 4th device now. All because of keyboard failures. I guess they are holding it wrong, or they are typing wrong? Or their fingers are simply too heavy for MBP to handle? Either way, thread is there, anyone can read it. If they want to ;)

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
It took me several days to get used to the keyboard on my 2018, but now when I have to use my old 2012 it feels like typing on my pillow. I also find Touch Bar a very useful addition to the whole system and I find myself looking for it when I use other computers. And I can't even describe how much better the screen with the true tone is. The ports issue is not an issue, as it only costed me 70€ to replace all my cables to usb C and also get a TB2 to TB3 adaptor from Apple.
My guess is the performance gains alone make the 2015 a little bit an unjustified purchase for a new computer as it is inferior in any way to the 2018 models (and this is a logical 3 years advancement in tech). But every person has a different needs so there is no right or wrong when buying something.

Reactions: afir93

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
how about GPU problems in models from Late 2008 to Early 2013 especially 15"

8k monitor? you need 2 x DP 1.4 ports, no Apple hardware support this (update, actually there is a chance https://www.extremetech.com/computi...lers-add-displayport-1-4-better-usb-c-support )

Difference is, nobody KNEW those GPUs were junk at the time of initial purchase. Big difference between buying something you think has no problems and buying something we now know has problems. The 2016 buyers get excused because they didn't know it at the time of release, but we now know.

Word on the street is Apple is releasing an 8k monitor to go with the MacPro, whatever year they decide to release it.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Difference is, nobody KNEW those GPUs were junk at the time of initial purchase. Big difference between buying something you think has no problems and buying something we now know has problems. The 2016 buyers get excused because they didn't know it at the time of release, but we now know.

Word on the street is Apple is releasing an 8k monitor to go with the MacPro, whatever year they decide to release it.

That's depends if the GPU in 2008 model was junk so you can expect problem in 2009 or 2010 similar analogy to the keyboard issues in new models
I'm 2016 buyer and I didn't know the keyboard is junk, actually I have 13" and 15", and no problems with keyboard, but I prefer feel from older MacBook Pro or iMac wireless keyboard, but in my home there is a one main rule, don't eat or drink over laptop keyboard

Reactions: afir93
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.