Run Mac OSX as VM inside Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nopstnz8, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Nopstnz8 macrumors member

Nopstnz8

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows how to run the Mac OSX partition as a virtual machine in VMware on bootcamp? There are instances where I sometimes need to fetch a link or something on OSX, and would rather not reboot just to get it. I know for OSX that VMware allows me to run my bootcamp as a virtual machine, which I really like. I'm basically trying to do the opposite of this an run OSX as a virtual machine inside of Windows 7. Does anyone know how to do this? I can't find the option to set this up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No.

1) It's not supported (Running OSX in a VM is possible but only as a VM)
    2) It's a violation of the EULA

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Unfortunately that's only supported with OS X Server 10.5+.

I'd really like to have a virtualised OS X on my machine because till now, I install new software on a second Mac that is not used for working before installing it on my workstation.

Would be much nicer to do this with a VM because it's easier to restore due to snapshots.

I hope Apple will enable this some day.

It might be possible with a hackintosh OS X version, but I'm not familiar with this.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The EULA allows _one_ copy running on one _Apple branded_ computer. MacOS X running in a VM using Bootcamp on a Macintosh is running on an Apple branded computer. If it is the single copy of MacOS X on that Mac, you are fine. To have two copies of MacOS X on the same computer, you'd have to buy another copy.

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I know you are correct about what you have said, however I believed that the OS X Server EULA stated that it could be run in a VM, whereas the OS X EULA didn't state this and so it was implied that it can't be run.

Fusion actually refuses to install OS X full-stop, regardless of the disk used.

Or have I got the above wrong?

7. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Fusion will happily install OS X Server in a VM and it doesn't take any fiddling to get it to work. I'm running a Snow Leopard Server VM on my iMac right now.

The EULA prohibits running OS X Client in a VM, so if you try to install that in Fusion it just tells you "this isn't Mac OS X Server", and refuses to install. There's no technical reason for this, though, and if you don't care about the EULA it's not too hard to fool Fusion into installing OS X Client.

8. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I ran.. i mean 'my friend' ran Mac OS X 10.5 in vmware player on a Windows XP machine. It can be done

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The MacOS X SLA doesn't say that I can run MacOS X in my kitchen, in my living room, in the garden, and I do all these things. And differences between the MacOS X and MacOS X server license don't count, because I have no reason to read the MacOS X server license. Just wondering, because I didn't read it, does the server license allow you to install and/or run MacOS X multiple times? Because that is something the MacOS X license doesn't allow.

10. Transporteur macrumors 68030

So tell us then how to fool VMWare.
    I'd really like to know how it's done!

11. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

VMware used to allow using physical hard drives to act like virtual disks. In that scenario one could boot OSX in VM i suppose. Since it's the hardware that manages the DRM. The question would be does VMware know how to access the TPM chip. Or would one need to tell VMware how to represent, or allow the connection like a driver.

Perhaps if one fiddles with the setting in VMware to allow direct hardware interaction. Of course this would make it easy to build a VMware image, and the copy it over to a PC, and disable the TPM driver, and run OSX on a regular PC. Of course something similar was already done, it's called the DeadMoo copy, a VMware virtual device that runs OSX. Now that i think about it, i wonder how well the dead moo copy will work in Windows on a Mac in with BootCamp. :apple:

12. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

But talking about running OSX in a VM in Windows on a Mac. In that case you aren't running two instances of OSX, it's only one instance on a Mac. I think that fits within the EULA/SLA just fine. Or does it actually spell out that you can't run OSX in a VM running in Windows on a Mac?

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The EULA disallows OSX Client to be running in a virtual machine. Regardless if its only running on one system or not, it won't allow it on a virtual machine.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm not seeing it mentioned at all in either the Client or Server SLAs. Though I believe I had seen it before. Can you point out the applicable language.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx106.pdf
    http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx_snowleopard.pdf

EDIT: This is the language from the server SLA that is not present in the client version. Neither says anything specific about virtualization.

B

15. teameurox macrumors regular

so lets say hypothetically one is running server edition and wants to be able to access said physical partition while utilizing a windows partition of his mac. How would it be done. I knnow virtual box offers support for installing osx server, and well as even doing client(which i know is against EULA SLA supposedly. )

I find it kind of outrageous that upon spending all this money on the machine they wont "allow me" to access my physical partition as a VM in a bootcamp scenario. Its only one install of the software for one, for two its the original software that was installed at ti,e of manufacture. Really apple come on

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html especially the section entitled "Access to individual physical hard disk partitions".

You'd probably want some experience running a separate OS X install in VirtualBox to understand the "Hackintosh" like ramifications of doing this.

NOTE: OS X isn't Linux which doesn't really care what hardware it's on (at least before the GUI is loaded), or Windows which does but supports multiple hardware configurations (docked laptop). If you try to boot OS X installed from one machine on another it can get a bit unhappy that the underlying hardware changed.

B

17. teameurox macrumors regular

UPDATE----

I have successfully gotten virtual box to boot the physical osx partition. The issue now is Virtual Box VT enabling is causing osx to render the processor as not supported.

As for the hackintosh like nature of doing this I'm aware of it. I went through two desktops and a couple of netbooks before finally making the plunge to the apple store. I may end up just having to do a a full virtual disk install. I was really hoping to save space and not have to go that route but may have to. I was hoping that this would work as OSX server does indeed work supposedly, and I'm running apple hardware

18. teameurox macrumors regular

Go it to work under latest beta of virtualbox.

To create the VM of your OSX physical partition

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage" internalcommands listpartitions -rawdisk \\.\Physicaldrive0

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage" internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename C:\Users\Revo\.VirtualBox\snowleopard.vmdk -rawdisk \\.\Physicaldrive0 -partitions 2

replacing user and drive numbers with yours.

After Set the CPU to a single processor, and you MUST run virtualbox with Admin Rights. Failure to do so will not allow the vm to access your OSX partition.

19. francorg macrumors newbie

Do you have any tutorial on how to do it?
    It would be very useful!!

Thank you,
    Roberto

20. teameurox macrumors regular

see post above yours

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you have to do anything else beyond that under OS X? Or does Virtualbox fool it enough that it is running natively and it remains happy?

B

22. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Do you mean in About This Mac, or before the VM actually runs?

23. Goofjuzo macrumors newbie

It works !! Many many thanks, I'm so happy!

24. teameurox macrumors regular

No problem glad I could help. Now my issue is once I changed my bootcamp partition to the optibay its not quite as simple of a process

25. dRuEFFECT macrumors newbie

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I'm trying this and get the error "VirtualBox Command Line Tool has stopped working" when trying the commands above.

Any ideas?