Running advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jasonbot, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I'm a mediocre track runner and have loved long distance events to no end. I also enjoy road running and can run for almost an hour at a reasonable pace (roughly 5-5:30 min/km) but today some guy brought it to my attention that I have HUGE quads and should seriously consider moving towards the sprinting side of running.

So I was wondering, should I move towards sprinting since my physique seems to be right for the job? Also: I have no idea how my legs became so huge?? I don't work out..

And lastly, what's the best way to train sprints and become a pro sprinter and possibly become good in 1-2 months so I can compete during the school athletics season?

Pic of my HUGE leg muscles:

[​IMG]

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

You do have large legs, you must be doing a lot of running.

3. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

:confused: say what?

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Your ceiling of optimum performance with sprinting vs. long distance is determined by a number of things including your training/work ethic and your desire to excel. However, your genetic makeup, particularly the predominant muscle fiber in your legs will be either fast twitch or slow twitch. If you know that you are high fast twitch, your chances for being a competitive sprinter are good. If you're slow twitch, stick with the longer distances.

5. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I jog at about the same pace as you, and I was also a sprinter in school.

Funny thing is that I never knew what type of muscles I had, and I didn't have big legs like you. My point is that maybe....at your level.......it doesn't matter what you have, as long as you work hard. ;)

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

8. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

All the better to run you over with :p

Now I just need to find out what muscle group I form part of...

9. Queso macrumors G4

I think you need to post more pics so we can give better advice :p

10. Vuzie macrumors regular

Vuzie

since i assume you're already doing "speedwork"... try core strengthining exercises. Sounds strange, but try core work using bosu, balance disks, fitness balls, etc. And we're not just talking the standard crunch either. I'm a pokey slow runner and since my trainer increased the intensity of my core strengthening, especially in the lower abs, I can do sprints faster in my speedwork and for longer durations.

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

have you raced any? Any times you can give us?

12. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Homo stalker, I hope you don't track my IP...

I've only done two official track races ever, an 800m and a 1500m and my times were pretty slow compared to the pro's I ran against although I had only started at the beginning of this year. Not exactly too sure of anything exact.

Over the next week I'm going to try find my muscle group and carry on from there.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

As great as having large quads is, that doesn't necessarily make you a sprinter... In fact, if the quads are predominantly made up of slower twitch muscle then they'll actually work against your outright speed. Believe it or not, most of a sprinter's power comes from the arse. Yes. The arse. I'm a sprinter and can even technically be called a professional (get a bit of money out of it) although I probably wouldn't go that far. Despite having quite large quads, my calves and arse are relatively much larger.

Anyway, some tips to get you sprinting...

• Build up your 'sprint' stamina. Whatever distance you want to run, train a little further. I do 100m, 200m, and 400m races. When training I usually try to run 450m to 500m such that when competition day comes around, I finish the race buggered but not wrecked.
    • Cut back on your distance stuff. It'll merely develop muscle in places you don't need it and ultimately add weight.
    • Work on your arms. You distance dudes have notoriously spindly arms. That's great for distance because heavy flailing limbs would just slow you down. However, the arms can contribute up to about a quarter of your overall speed. Get any good sprinter to mimic their running arms whilst keeping their legs still and they should fall over on their face. We're a stupid lot, so test this theory. No doubt the average sprinter will fall for it, ignoring all puns.

Anyway, that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll try to add more later. Good luck mate. Sprinting's a lot of fun, and let's face it; it's where all the glory is! :D

14. Queso macrumors G4

LOL. I wouldn't worry, I'm 6,000 miles away.

Today.....;)

Anyway, I'll stop gatecrashing your serious thread on the subject now. I've been out for a run myself this morning, so I know how important it is :)

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

could you give a time? really 800m is considered a sprint when you get to the top levels

16. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I found my 800m time, it was 2:26:40 I think I need A LOT of work on that. I guess I'll be starting my own training during my holidays which will start at the beginning of next month.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I still see it as middle distance, but maybe one day...

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, now you need to compare that to other events, like the 1500. but also shorter like the 400 and 200, and also the 3000. after you have at least 1 race in all of them, then you can decide on what your better at.

true, but when you're running under 1:50, your sprinting

19. toaster_oven macrumors regular

those look like mid-distance to long-distance runner legs to me... sprinter legs would be larger on the inside and back.

-to

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's nearly fourteen second splits for each 100m.

21. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

:O I dont think Ill achieve that :p

But just by the way I ran this X-country race that my whole school competes in, I came 18th I think I should just stick to middle/long distance maybe?

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

exactly. that's sprinting ;)

even though not all cross-country courses are the same, it would be better if you gave a distance and time. (5k?) place does mean something, but to decide on what event is your best, we need to know your time.

23. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

The distance was like 3.something Km and the time about 14:something I forgot to stop my watch (again:()

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, all we can really say is get a time for the events that you are interested in. the main thing is do what you enjoy the most. since you'll have to work really hard at it

i don't think your leg muscles are a factor right now.

how old are you? if you don't mind me asking