Running app recommendation

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by Trebuin, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I’m looking for a running app replacement for pear:
    Needs to pull data from the watch & show heart rate chart with current heart rate.
    Needs audio feedback with current pace. Would be nice if that was also available without phone connection
    Needs an indoor mode

2. Hertz77 macrumors member

Apart from built in workout app, I think Strava and Nike are only other one with audio feedback

3. goat5570 macrumors member

4. Hertz77 macrumors member

Is that the paid app? Is it worth the cost with other free ones available?

5. goat5570 macrumors member

It is a paid app. I've used it for years, so the small cost is a better value over a long period of time. Does all the stuff free apps do, highly customizable, and you own the data. Meaning you can save it locally, in the cloud, and export it to any other service that you want to use.

6. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I second (or third) ismoothrun.

Years ago I used RunKeeper because it worked best with the Pebble smartwatch, but it wasn't great on iphone, kept losing signal, failing to record anything. So I switched to ismoothrun (which can actually export to runkeeper) and love it.

The standalone watch app (no phone needed) is excellent and I don't see myself ever moving away from it.

I would like to try the NRC but if ismoothrun does everything I need, then I can't see the point of switching

7. goat5570 macrumors member

I do the same thing with ismoothrun. I export to Runkeeper, and I export to a few others (NRC, Strava, Garmin). I also have it export to Dropbox to have a back up of each run. Can also email to yourself in all the popular formats. tcx, csv, ect.

8. Trebuin thread starter macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I actually used ismoothrun before & while I have not used it for actually running, it won't provide a HR chart during static workouts like Plum does. If I can't find a substitute for Plum, I'll give ismoothrun another good look, especially with audio feedback during runs. It would be nice if it provides minute to minute reports of my current speed & average speed so I can adjust my pace accordingly.

9. Trebuin thread starter macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Pear is working again, needed a full reinstall on the phone.

10. Hertz77 macrumors member

Can you get audio cues with irunsmooth when using the watch standalone? I can see the option but only seems to work when running with phone

11. warcanoid macrumors newbie

WorkOutDoors, new version will support voice feedback(beta now)

12. Dizle macrumors 6502

I’ve been using ismoothrun and not too stoked on it. Or Strava for that matter. If I use the build in workout app how do I export to Garmin, Strava, etc? Ismoothrun takes upwards of two hours to sync with the phone app and auto pause is very inconsistent.

13. solerpaco macrumors newbie

When you have recorded the workout you use RunGap app to export to other platforms.

14. Hertz77 macrumors member

I’ve gone back to runkeeper , finding it the best at the moment

15. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

iSmoothRun has been rock-solid for me. Syncs take just a few seconds (somebody above mentioned it takes two hours for them, so YMMV). Although it's a paid app, for me it's been a million times better than the terribly flawed Nike+ Run Club. I own a Nike+ Apple Watch, and was never able to get the NRC app to consistently log distances greater than 7 miles. Nine times out of 10, NRC crashes the watch.

16. Dizle macrumors 6502

I just used the built in Workout app and it preformed flawless for my standard 6 mile run. Auto pause worked superb, pausing after a few seconds each time I stopped. Exported to Garmin and Strava with Run Gap

17. BlankStar macrumors 6502a

BlankStar

I use iSmoothRun and absolutely love you can set a pace before running and the audio feedback tells you to slow down or go faster. Pure awesomeness!

18. Hertz77 macrumors member

Do you need to take phone for audio feedback? Or does it work on watch only runs?

19. redsteeler macrumors member

New ismoothrun beta already have implemented audio cues hence no phone needed and it work perfectly. I think its only matter of time the new version will be available publicly

20. Midway123 macrumors newbie

I have used standard workout thus far, especially for the good readability. Do the audio cues of ismoothrun include heartrate? I am still looking for a good reliable standalone watch app that reads out heartrate to me..

21. redsteeler macrumors member

yes.

[​IMG]

22. Hertz77 macrumors member

Great thanks, how do I get beta?

23. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

To get audio feedback does your headphones need to be linked to your watch or can it be linked to your iphone?

24. BlankStar macrumors 6502a

BlankStar

in iSmoothRun it's currently the iPhone, unless you got the beta running on your watch, then you can do it with your watch. Dunno in Strave nor Nike.

25. molala macrumors 6502a

I was using Runkeeper but had problems with the watch not recording the route or the iPhone app getting activated and staying on after the run. Switched to the built-in workout app and use HealthKit to export to strava and garmin (which I set to export to Runkeeper).