Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pewpewpew

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Strange, I’ve done 6 runs now and the GPS trial have been all over the place. 44mm gold stainless steel.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Strange, I’ve done 6 runs now and the GPS trial have been all over the place. 44mm gold stainless steel.

Are you running with your phone or just the watch? In my experience the past few years, when the watch relies on the GPS of the phone (to save battery) the tracks can be erratic depending on where you carry your phone. I've generally found the GPS of the watch when worn on the wrist to be better than the GPS of the phone when carried in a running belt.

But, as with all things running-related, YMMV.

Reactions: MBHockey

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
Thats really close and good to hear as Garmin knows their stuff when it comes to GPS watches. I have a Garmin 920 that I use for triathlon races, but use the AW for most of my training

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Thanks. Hard to tell from tracks which device better tracked your actual footpath. I have an F5 and F5+ also, as well as two AW series 4 (no runs yet). Which do you feel tracked your path better?

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Thanks. Hard to tell from tracks which device better tracked your actual footpath. I have an F5 and F5+ also, as well as two AW series 4 (no runs yet). Which do you feel tracked your path better?
The AW track looks much closer to what I ran, which has been my experience the past couple of days. I didn't do a direct distance-to-distance comparison because I had a Stryd foot pod feeding pace and distance into the Garmin.

I'd still have trouble relying on the AW for training because I want to see my lap pace and distance immediately without waiting for the screen to light up, and I do a fair amount of interval training, but if you can get past that, or if you're coming from running with a phone, the AW seems like a more than capable running watch to me.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
AW4 looks pretty good! I did notice the rather large difference in elevation between the two devices during the beginning, would you be able to elaborate on which device was more accurate during that time period?
[doublepost=1537900535][/doublepost]
The AW track looks much closer to what I ran, which has been my experience the past couple of days. I didn't do a direct distance-to-distance comparison because I had a Stryd foot pod feeding pace and distance into the Garmin.

I'd still have trouble relying on the AW for training because I want to see my lap pace and distance immediately without waiting for the screen to light up, and I do a fair amount of interval training, but if you can get past that, or if you're coming from running with a phone, the AW seems like a more than capable running watch to me.

Yeah I noticed the Garmin puts you in the street sometimes, which I'm assuming was actually a path right next to the , instead.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
For those interested, here's a comparison of the AW Series 4 (SBSS) with the Garmin fenix 5+ for an 8 mile run. Both watches have been used outdoors a few times prior to this.

http://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/#os7kpJ1N

Never noticed before how similar that loop is to the one in Central Park here in NY. CP is 6 miles, and the reservoir loop about 1.6. So, 7.6 total, nearly the same.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017

Agree as an older casual/fitness runner and rider, AW is plenty. As a data nerd, I have two AWs, two Garmins, Garmin Tempe sensor, Garmin footpod, Stryd footpod, Scosche Rythm Plus.... I usually run with Garmin since trying to improve my cadence, but generally also wear AW for music. I use RunGap to get either AW or Garmin output to Garmin, Runkeeper, Strava....... ;-)

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
I did notice the rather large difference in elevation between the two devices during the beginning, would you be able to elaborate on which device was more accurate during that time period?
I'm not sure. I haven't been paying much attention to elevation. I wonder if there's a way to google the elevation for the starting point.

Reactions: Vanilla35

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I'm not sure. I haven't been paying much attention to elevation. I wonder if there's a way to google the elevation for the starting point.

I have found the Apple Watch to track elevation well. It is clearly using elevation corrections from its database. If you go to Garmin connect for the activity and change elevation correction from disabled to enabled, you will likely see the best GPS elevation.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
For those interested, here's a comparison of the AW Series 4 (SBSS) with the Garmin fenix 5+ for an 8 mile run. Both watches have been used outdoors a few times prior to this.

http://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/#os7kpJ1N

So far, I've been on one mountain bike ride and a 8 walk in the Lake District.... what I've been impressed with is how well the optical sensor has matched the Fenix 5 with the HRM Run4 chest strap. There was barely a cigarette paper between them today. The only time it goes astray is when the temperature of your arm drops too low in very cold conditions. This is looking like it will render the Fenix 5 for extreme cold and bike rides for the cadence, speed and power sensors. It is certainly a better optical sensor than the Garmin which goes awol a lot with sudden changes in heart rate and gets stuck a lot.

Reactions: matrix07

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
I’ve been pondering the two of these. I have a 5+ but there are some things that would be good about the AW too. Ideally an LTE version, but the cost is too much for me because it’s not $10, or $15, but more like $40 because I’d have to change plans.

Anyways, how does it hold up after an hour or two run / hike? Do you need to charge it during the day in that case? Also, how about data? The Garmin pretty much tells me everything I’d want to know, and while I think the AW gets close, I can’t tell if it gets close enough. I like seeing the heart rate graphs overplayed with hills and the whole training result metrics are interesting too even if I don’t really follow them.

I spent some time in the Apple health app last night and it’s not an award winning UI from what I could see.

I guess this turned rambling, but if the OP had any thoughts on the 2 compared, I’d read them. :)

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I’ve been pondering the two of these. I have a 5+ but there are some things that would be good about the AW too. Ideally an LTE version, but the cost is too much for me because it’s not $10, or $15, but more like $40 because I’d have to change plans.

Anyways, how does it hold up after an hour or two run / hike? Do you need to charge it during the day in that case? Also, how about data? The Garmin pretty much tells me everything I’d want to know, and while I think the AW gets close, I can’t tell if it gets close enough. I like seeing the heart rate graphs overplayed with hills and the whole training result metrics are interesting too even if I don’t really follow them.

I spent some time in the Apple health app last night and it’s not an award winning UI from what I could see.

I guess this turned rambling, but if the OP had any thoughts on the 2 compared, I’d read them. :)

Charge wise, easily. I ware mine through the night. Charge it up just before bed, wake up with 90% and after a 4 hour hike and other use during the day, charged its up in the evening again the next day with about 40% left. And that's with new toy use as well:D

I can't see it ever replacing the Garmin for the bike etc but it is very capable in the mountains. Incidentally, Wahoo TickR chest strap connects to both the Fenix 5 and the Apple Watch at the same time without any issues. Handy if you want to wear the AW while riding while the Fenix is on the handle bars.

It's really nice to have all the smart features (that's aren't on the Fenix) and the screen is excellent!

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Interesting. I’m in the same boat. Apple Watch for non serious runs and my garmin 935 for everything else.

I love having instant pace with the foot pod and frankly not having to charge the watch religiously is a huge help

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for posting this. What app are you using on your AW to track runs?
I just used the Workout app. I've played around with iSmoothRun and the Stryd app, but I still prefer a Garmin when training. If it's an easy run or I'm on vacation or something, I just stick with the Workout app and move the data over to Garmin (then Strava) with RunGap.
[doublepost=1537917017][/doublepost]
Interesting. I’m in the same boat. Apple Watch for non serious runs and my garmin 935 for everything else.

I love having instant pace with the foot pod and frankly not having to charge the watch religiously is a huge help
Do you tracks steps, sleep and general non-running activities. And, if so, where do you consolidate all of your data?

I always feel like I have stuff in multiple places which is what prompted me to ditch the AW this summer, upgrade my 935 to the Fenix and go all in with Garmin...again.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Is it difficult to move your data from the Workout app to a third party service? I used to use RunKeeper but their watch app was abysmal. At that time, it was difficult the share workout data from Apple's workout app. Has that changed?

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Is it difficult to move your data from the Workout app to a third party service? I used to use RunKeeper but their watch app was abysmal. At that time, it was difficult the share workout data from Apple's workout app. Has that changed?
It's really easy with RunGap. Costs $1.99 every three months (I think).

The other option is to try iSmoothRun. That app integrates with pretty much every third-party service.

Reactions: MBHockey

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
Charge wise, easily. I ware mine through the night. Charge it up just before bed, wake up with 90% and after a 4 hour hike and other use during the day, charged its up in the evening again the next day with about 40% left. And that's with new toy use as well:D

I can't see it ever replacing the Garmin for the bike etc but it is very capable in the mountains. Incidentally, Wahoo TickR chest strap connects to both the Fenix 5 and the Apple Watch at the same time without any issues. Handy if you want to wear the AW while riding while the Fenix is on the handle bars.

It's really nice to have all the smart features (that's aren't on the Fenix) and the screen is excellent!

Thanks for the reply. I haven't biked, barely at all this year, as I've been on a good routine this summer, but next year, maybe it's all biking.

Glad to hear the battery is tolerable. The 5 was amazing, never got below 90% charging while in the shower, the 5+has gone into the 80's a couple of times but it's more of the same. I do a lot of charging with the apple devices, one more wouldn't kill me but it would add much to my life either. I'm actually not sure where I'd charge the watch at this point. The 5+ charger is in the bathroom.

You mention smart features and that's where the watch loses me. I haven't seen something that would carry me past the Fenix just being damn good at it's job. Maybe integration between loseit would be tighter, I have to toss data off to the UA ecosystem and bring it back, or something, but I struggle to find that something.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks for the reply. I haven't biked, barely at all this year, as I've been on a good routine this summer, but next year, maybe it's all biking.

Glad to hear the battery is tolerable. The 5 was amazing, never got below 90% charging while in the shower, the 5+has gone into the 80's a couple of times but it's more of the same. I do a lot of charging with the apple devices, one more wouldn't kill me but it would add much to my life either. I'm actually not sure where I'd charge the watch at this point. The 5+ charger is in the bathroom.

You mention smart features and that's where the watch loses me. I haven't seen something that would carry me past the Fenix just being damn good at it's job. Maybe integration between loseit would be tighter, I have to toss data off to the UA ecosystem and bring it back, or something, but I struggle to find that something.

The Fenix 5 is an excellent watch, no way would I get rid of mine. I use the Aerobic/Anaerobic splits for gauging training intensity etc and the battery life is amazing.

My wife also has a AW with a VivoActive HR (again for the bike and cold mountain walks) so I'm hoping Apple release that power mat thing that can charge multiple apple devices wirelessly. Otherwise, I've seen a couple of docking stations. Ideally I want one that does two watches but they are so common.

Smart features. We use HomeKit a lot for controlling lights, central heating security cameras etc so being able to control these from your watch is handy.... especially with Siri which I've found to do a very good job. Also, handy for controlling music from Sono's and Bluesound systems.

The two watches seem to compliment each other and it's easy enough to pull all data together through the Health app or RunGap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.