Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DandsM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Hey, haven't seen a dedicated thread for this, so please lets discuss here.

I'd like to know if any of you guys managed to do this and how.

Thanks

littleasian

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
i can confirm that windows xp sp2 works with vmware fusion 3.1.2 on lion. works just like in SL

DandsM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
I am going to install SL on a virtual machine and try to update to Lion from there, will post results here later.

DandsM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
i had vmware installed running SL before i upgraded to lion. the vmware still works

I am getting this message: "The guest operating system is not Mac OS X Server". I cannot start the VM. Can you help?

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I am getting this message: "The guest operating system is not Mac OS X Server". I cannot start the VM. Can you help?

you have to touch a certain file in the install bundle in terminal. I forget which file, but you can probly find it in google

macTijn

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
experiments with virtualisation

I've been doing some research on how to get this to work on vmware/parallels/virtualbox. So far no luck.

VMWare Fusion (try 1)
used these instructions to circumvent (now invalid) non-server boot image detection.
Created a new host, gave it OSX 10.6 server type, selected the 10.7_11a390 dmg as iso source, added 2nd cpu, tweaked the .vmx (see link above - disabling VMWare's now-native EFI implementation), booted.
Result: CPU resets right after bootup, resulting in an endless loop.

VMWare Fusion (try 2)
created "Other / Other 64-bit" vm using EmpireEFI to boot Lion image.
Result: CPU resets right after bootup, resulting in an endless loop.

Parallels (try 1)
see VMWare (try 1)

Parallels (try 2)
see VMWare (try 2)

Virtualbox 4.0.4
created a "Mac OS X / Mac OS X Server (64-bit)" guest, all default settings
Result: bombs out with "The version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!".

The VirtualBox method needs more investigation, since this message seems to come from the OSX bootup process. This might also be the case with VMWare and Parallels, as they might just catch this kind of error differently.

DandsM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
@macTijn: I did exactly the same steps you did for VMWare and Parallels and no success.

I hope someone here help us to run ANY Mac OS version on these VM machines so we can upgrade to Lion.

Thanks!

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I installed Lion successfully over 10.6.6 within VMware Fusion 3.1.2. The installation was very slow. The instructions, if i describe them, are probably 3 pages long. Right now, i do not have the time to do it.

What i found out is, that the boot loader and/or the kernel needs special parameters. But it also appears, that the EFI version must support certain features. A 64-Bit EFI is probably not enough. The minimal system from which you install Lion boots, but not the successfully installed System on the "internal" virtual HD. I did read on insanelymac, that SL-users had the same problem with boot loaders, if they did try to boot SL on their hackintosh. A new boot loader solved their problem. I hope VMware will support Lion DP in a new release of Fusion.

If i find the time, i will write a little manual for VMware Fusion, but it will not help you, because the EFI inside VMware Fusion is not compatible or you would not have the appropriate kernel parameters.

DandsM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
I installed Lion successfully over 10.6.6 within VMware Fusion 3.1.2. The installation was very slow. The instructions, if i describe them, are probably 3 pages long. Right now, i do not have the time to do it.

What i found out is, that the boot loader and/or the kernel needs special parameters. But it also appears, that the EFI version must support certain features. A 64-Bit EFI is probably not enough. The minimal system from which you install Lion boots, but not the successfully installed System on the "internal" virtual HD. I did read on insanelymac, that SL-users had the same problem with boot loaders, if they did try to boot SL on their hackintosh. A new boot loader solved their problem. I hope VMware will support Lion DP in a new release of Fusion.

If i find the time, i will write a little manual for VMware Fusion, but it will not help you, because the EFI inside VMware Fusion is not compatible or you would not have the appropriate kernel parameters.

Awesome, please post this manual when you get the time. Much appreciated. Thanks!

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Awesome, please post this manual when you get the time. Much appreciated. Thanks!

No manual available @ the moment, but some pictures from my experiments. This is the recovery system, and not a full version of Lion. As i explained it in my previous post, the full version can be installed over 10.6.6, but does not boot for various reasons.

Click on a thumbnail to enlarge it!

Attachments

• lion_language.png
    lion_language.png
    743.2 KB · Views: 865
  • lion_diskutility.png
    lion_diskutility.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,213

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
you're gonna spend a lot of time trying something thats not possible right now.

if you want to test lion, it's best to install it on a 2nd partition. I partitioned out 50GB to test lion + current available apps.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Not possible for you! :D

Lion runs here in VMware, without obvious problems (yes, the full version).

Even running Snow Leopard under virtualization isn't the same as the real thing. I know, I've done it before. You're still missing out a lot of features, especially gestures (since VMware don't really support multi-touch gestures in their VMs, Parallels are okay with those) that Lion offers.

Furthermore, if you got it to work, might as well share how you did it for the others who wishes to install it via VM.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Even running Snow Leopard under virtualization isn't the same as the real thing. I know, I've done it before. You're still missing out a lot of features, especially gestures (since VMware don't really support multi-touch gestures in their VMs, Parallels are okay with those) that Lion offers.

Furthermore, if you got it to work, might as well share how you did it for the others who wishes to install it via VM.

I've a RL, and have not much time to write manuals. Parallels supports more OS X 10.6 or 10.7 features than Fusion? Great, i will try that if i have the time. My VMware Fusion Lion installation is still *very* experimental, unreliable and pretty "complicated". I need to reduce the necessary steps, before i write a manual.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
well, if you've successfully installed the full version of Lion in Fusion give us a few details on how you did it. thats the nice thing to do. you don't HAVE to write a manual with step by step instructions for a newbie, no one asked you to do that :confused:, but if you want to by all means do it.

my Mac isn't compatible so really want to try Lion in a VM. ive tried using a script to make Fusion install client versions of OS X, but i cant get the installer to boot. also tried commenting out firmware="efi" in the the .vmx file but that causes the boot screen to not even show.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
No manual available @ the moment, but some pictures from my experiments. This is the recovery system, and not a full version of Lion. As i explained it in my previous post, the full version can be installed over 10.6.6, but does not boot for various reasons.
[/B]

when i attempted to upgrade to 10.6.6 it failed at life, wouldnt reboot so i had to resort back to a snapshot. any advice to be given here?

can you give us a brief run through of any steps to install Lion on vmware? doesnt have to be detailed, just brief :)

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
well, if you've successfully installed the full version of Lion in Fusion give us a few details on how you did it. thats the nice thing to do. you don't HAVE to write a manual with step by step instructions for a newbie, no one asked you to do that :confused:, but if you want to by all means do it.

my Mac isn't compatible so really want to try Lion in a VM. ive tried using a script to make Fusion install client versions of OS X, but i cant get the installer to boot. also tried commenting out firmware="efi" in the the .vmx file but that causes the boot screen to not even show.

What makes you think that you will be able to run Lion in Fusion if your Mac is not compatible? It's the processor that's the problem. Fusion isn't going to emulate a Core Duo 2 and fake out the install.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA

If your sig is correct, your MacBook Pro isn't going to work. It'll require a 64-bit processor, which the Core Duo's aren't.

However, there should be no reason the hackintosh won't work though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.