Running Naked.. and Loving It

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by b257177, Aug 24, 2007.

1. b257177 macrumors regular

With all the talk of cases and screen protectors and various ways to cradle, carry or otherwise tote an Apple iPhone around, I am curious how many people are still "running naked" with their iPhone and loving it.. meaning, no ill effects or notable marks to show for it (BTW, I am in this group.)

I am also curious who might have gone from "running naked" to "wearing protection" (cough) as a result of scuffs, damage or other ill-gotten markings on their (previously naked) iPhone. What scratched your iPhone? Where was it scratched?

Thanks for sharing, sorry for the puns. ;)

2. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I originally bought the Incase rubber case but didn't like the stretching so now I have an Incase pouch that I carry it in only when I'm at work. Otherwise I carry it around naked. I used to be afraid of dropping it or something when I quit using the rubber Incase case but after using it a few days, it feels fine now. :)

3. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

I'm too afraid to carry it around naked... I got the iSkin

4. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I too got the incase rubber sleeve. It did what it does and scratched up the bezel so I took it off. I then did the brushed metal treatment on the bezel to lose the scratches but missed the protection of the incase. So I put it back on knowing I could just buff out any bezel scratches. It scratched again and it's been totally naked for the last two weeks and I fixed up the bezel. Love the phone with no case and there are no scratches, nicks, dings other than from the incase.

5. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Still running naked. (freecallin? :D)

I am not much for cases on my iPhone or iPod, except for my otterbox by the pool on my iPod photo. But I have always been pretty careful with my personal electronics, so don't worry too much.

6. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I have since last Saturday when I bought it, been shopping for cases since. I have a leather skin on the way. I'm not afraid to let it go naked, just as a precautiuon. I also thing that the added bulk on the case makes the iPhone a little eaiser to grip while typing.

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

8. b257177 thread starter macrumors regular

I have also been naked since iDay. The bulk added by the average case and the way it alters the form factor is one of the reasons I prefer it this way... the feel!

9. PupnTaco macrumors regular

PupnTaco

No case for me, I like to travel light. I keep it in the "watch pocket" of my Levis and it doesn't have one scratch on it.

10. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

You should at least consider the Power Support Crystal film. It feels exactly like the glass but smoother and makes the iphone less smudgier. I got the BestSkinsEver film to protect the outside from bumps and scratches... Already had a few scratches from the dock. While i definitely prefer a naked phone, i learned my lesson from my first ipod. After owning it for a year it looked like crap with all the sctatches. When i bought my nano i put the invisibleshield film on it and it looks barely used after years of abuse.

11. BD1 macrumors 6502

I don't like cases either but I do have an egrip on it. I only installed it on the back. Now my iphone is much less slippery. It also helps keep it in place when in the car, etc. Worth adding if you don't like using a case.

www.egrips.com

12. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

At least get a crystal screen protector... just my two cents. :apple:

13. horation macrumors member

Brando UltraClear from Hong Kong works great as well. Feels like glass, perfect fit. only drawback is the 2-3 wk shipping from across the pacific.

14. organik macrumors member

yep, naked

no scratches - I just remember my front left pocket is for the phone, nothing else. Had it in a case the first two weeks and it was just bulky. I'm only worried about dropping it, seems VERY scratch resistant, even after accidentally pocketing it with keys, paperclips, etc....no scratches.

15. rperalta macrumors 6502

I use invisibleSHIELD for the back and sides. For the front, I use the PowerSupport screen protector from Apple store. You can hardly notice that it is on there.

I am looking a horizontal case or holster to hold it on my belt, one of them is the Hipcase from DLO.

16. Mxsix macrumors member

Mxsix

Never bought a case since the day I got it (June 29th of course :) )

Still naked to this day and still looks like I just got it out of the box. I use it heavily though so I commend it's resistance to visual marks.

17. iFreQuency macrumors newbie

i boughta few cases, and all have not really fit my taste or failed, the one that failed is the incase rubber case, just stretch's out beyond are anal apple existence will tolerate after one time pulling it off to dock or to clean!, the other is the iqase side and swift, they just arent my style, i need a body wrap, the side is a beautiful case for what it is, a hip case, and if anyone would like to purchase either send me a PM, and an offer.

18. jlanuez macrumors 6502

I'd like to go bare...

but it's to slippery for me. I dropped it the day after iDay and it slid across a tile floor (no scratches!), so it went into a case-mate case and only comes out at night to sleep naked in its cradle (ah, I mean dock).

19. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I've been running naked since day one as well- and it's still good as new. Granted, I do keep it in a pocket that has nothing else in it.

20. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

EEK

such big decisions to make!

i took off my incase to find my silver border HORRIBLY scratched.
    should i put it back on and ignore the scratches for the protection, or do i take it off and let my iphone, too, run naked?

(note KNOCK ON WOOD, i have never dropped one of my electronic devices, but there is always a first.)

21. 103734 Guest

I have had mine naked since June 29th, no scratches, not even on the apple or metal.

I do have it in a iPod sock sometimes though, like if I have alot of stuff in my pockets like keys and coins.

22. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I'm not using a case, as most I have seen are just horrible looking.

I'm going to purchase a pouch to have sometimes, but that's it.

23. Lord Sandwich macrumors regular

I just got the Power Support Crystal Jacket, which has a clear acrylic case and one crystal film. For $30 I think it's a good deal as you can choose whether to go film-only, case-only or both.

I had to go with case-only since I screwed up the application and got bits of lint and dirt stuck to the film. :eek: I really like the case though, shows off the phone and is much easier to grip.

24. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Never had mine in a case since iDay. I carry it it my pocket all day, every day.
    Not a single scratch.
    Some friends have had their cases scratch the chrome.
    And there was a post on this site about invisible shield (I think) pulling paint of his iPhone.
    Naked is the way it was designed to ride!:)

25. astronot macrumors newbie

I went commando for about 2 months before finally getting a case. Never had any scratches and never dropped it, although it was always a concern because it is kind of hard to hold onto sometimes. I ended up getting the canvas InCase, because I figure my luck has to run out sometime. :)