Running the iMac gauntlet

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMikeT, Jun 28, 2011.

1. iMikeT, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

iMikeT macrumors 68020

Hey guys...

I normally don't ask the community to make my decisions for me (or help me make my own decisions) but I'm debating on running the gauntlet of trying to get an iMac with a better display.

First, my iMac is the finest computer I have ever owned or used. It's very speedy, has a lot of screen real estate, and is well designed.

I ordered the iMac with BTO options on June 16th and it arrived on the 22nd. I have been lurking the iMac forum for a long while before making the order and have read about the issues plaguing the displays. Since I first powered on the iMac, I have really been running it through its paces and looking for any flaws/issues before my return window closes. This is what I have found so far:

-Dark band towards the bottom of the display when viewing solid colored images
    -Uneven backlit when viewing darker and solid colored images along with the brightness turned up higher
    -Right side of the display appears to be slightly darker than the left

I have no plans on getting any other computer at this point and only intend for the iMac to serve me in the foreseeable future, particularly the model that I purchased with the BTO options. So this means that at best would be looking to exchange this iMac for another with a better display. A part of me doesn't want to deal with the hassle and I'm not necessarily looking for "the perfect display", just one more acceptable than the one I all ready have.

Attached are some pics of what I'm describing that I posted in the "yellow tint display issues" thread. These were taken on my iPhone so the quality of the pics aren't that great. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

I forgot to mention that the very bottom corners of the left and right side of display have dark spots/a bit darker than the rest of the screen and surrounding areas.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If it bothers you take it back now and get a replacement or repair. Know your consumer rights before you do that. Indeed, I'd have quotes from the relevant consumer laws at the ready. This puts you in a strong position (for some contracts, terms of sale and company policies actually violate the law), and also it reminds you what you are not entitled to as a consumer. Apple service has a very good reputation, but occasionally I believe they hire people who have picked up bad habits from previous jobs, so it pays to be prepared....

I live in the UK. Given the number of charlatans selling goods in this country, I find the following phrase very useful when talking to them: "So, you are denying me my legal rights as a consumer. Are you, your manager, and your company willing to defend this decision to <insert appropriate name of local paper, TV consumer show, and/or government consumer agencies here>?". This approach has even worked with local government bureaucracies where I live.

4. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Two things:

1) I live in the USA and our rights as customers are very limited. The only thing going for me is the 14 day return period and the fact that I have Apple Care for my iMac.

2) I purchased my iMac online so I can't exactly bring it into an Apple retail store and easily get a replacement on the spot. Which is why I would have to run the gauntlet and hassle of having an iMac shipped to me and shipping one back.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

1) I used to live in the US. Your consumer rights might not be as limited as you think. It's worth checking out the relevant local, state, and federal laws...

2) The time limitation on returns is why you should act now. You might as well bite the bullet rather than being lumbered with a machine that irks you. On the other hand if you do not mind the display, then simply enjoy your iMac. Good luck whatever you decide!

6. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Mm. If I may offer my opinion (I practised consumer law, a few years ago), being too quick to reach for the 'I'll report you to Watchdog!' card can sometimes do you harm. Particularly with an organisation like Apple, who generally are willing to be reasonable. If you get aggressive with them at the drop of a hat, you might find that they become less, rather than more, co-operative.

I agree with the plan, in large part: know your rights, and ask for what you want. But if they disagree, don't go straight for, 'you sonofabitch, I'm gonna eat your children!!!'. Politely assert your rights, indicating that you know what they are. This will make them, in the very least, explain to you why they believe your rights do not apply. If you disagree, you can elevate it from there.

7. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Wise words and one's that have always worked well for me when I have had any issues with a company It's important to make a connection with the person you are dealing with, hopefully then they take responsibility for your problems. Politely but firmly always leave the ball firmly in their court so they feel compelled to resolve your issue.

Saying that, Apple have always been good with their customer service - my original 2009 Core i7 iMac suffered repeated screen issues and Apple swapped it out 5 times whilst always allowing me to keep my current computer until the replacement was delivered.

8. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

After I quit the law to go back into education, I had a couple of 'helpline' jobs. It makes all the difference in the World if the caller is reasonable. You're much more motivated.

Call centre operators aren't robots - despite the best attempts of supervisors! - and I was always willing to try harder for somebody who was patient and polite. If the caller wasn't patient and polite (polite, particularly), I did nothing other than 'my job' for them. I didn't particularly hurry. I didn't try any harder than necessary. In short, I didn't offer them anything beyond 'their rights': the 'rights' that they had been so quick to rudely assert.

9. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Precisely - politeness is always the best policy and gets the best from who you are dealing with. It amazes me how many people immediately get aggressive with customer care operators and then wonder why they don't make any headway.

10. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Hahahahahahahahaha...!!!

Yeah, too true.

11. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks everyone so far who replied.

Politeness is second nature to me so dealing with customer service isn't going to be an issue.

12. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

I've decided to go ahead and run the gauntlet and I'll be calling Apple about this in a little while. The only question I have left is who to call. Do I call Apple retail (800-My-APPLE) or Apple Care (800-APL-CARE)?

13. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Not sure, guess if you call Apple Retail they can always direct you in the right direction.

In the likely event you experience no joy then the best thing to do is send an e-mail to Steve Jobs. Obviously doesn't get to the man himself so address the e-mail to "Apple Executive Care" - this is who I actually ended up dealing with. In your e-mail outline your dissapointment, present your case and request a solution so to enable you to move forward with the issue. Apple Executive Care are the the highest tier of customer care who have far greater authority to authorise things and also means you have one point of contact who handles your case. Obviously only go down this route after trying the normal path.

14. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

I too suggest Retail first. AppleCare are more for helping you make your Apple kit work when it's not working, rather than getting it replaced.

15. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

I got off the phone with Apple just about 10 minutes ago. Here's how everything went down:

-First called Apple retail (800-MY-APPLE)
    -Apple retail sent my call over to Apple Care
    -Went through some trouble shooting with Apple Care and the issue persisted (duh) (worst of all, it interrupted what I was doing on the iMac :mad:)
    -Was told that I should bring the iMac to a physical Apple retail store so the geniuses can look at the issue (yeah right, I'm not moving this from my table unless they send me a new one so I can send this one back)
    -First level of Apple Care suggested that since I'm still within the 14 day return policy that the iMac can be deemed DOA and can simply be exchanged for a new one and was transferred to a supervisor
    -Went through some more trouble shooting and it was deemed that this is a hardware issue (surprise, surprise) and needs to be brought back for a repair/return/exchange
    -Supervisor realized that the department that handles the DOA issue is closed for the night (9pm EST, damn these timezones) and will have to continue with the process tomorrow

16. mackage macrumors 6502

They did the exact same process with me and to my surprise stated that Apple is aware of the issue and is looking into it. I actually told the guy I don't believe one word he says about Apple looking into it because this issues has been present for years and Apple hasn't fixed it. They can redesign a product almost every year, but can't fix a yellow display? He was speechless.

17. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Ha, I had to fish for the yellow screen issue. Do remember that the yellowing is from the display manufacturer, not from Apple themselves. Though, Apple really should be doing a much better job at pickin' em.

Tell me something, are you going to continue the issue tomorrow like I am or did they actually resolve your issue tonight?

18. mackage macrumors 6502

I called them yesterday actually and I have the return label for the product. I plan to order the 21.5" possibly tomorrow and hope I have better luck with them. This is the third 27" I have purchased in the past 4 months and they all had the yellow screens.

19. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Three in four months? I hope you returned each one within the 14 day return period.

20. mackage macrumors 6502

The first unit was replaced with the second. Then I was fed up and asked for a refund which I received. Then I waited for the new models to come out thinking the problem would have been resolved...nope. So this 27" will be on its way back and I am going to try out a 21.5". I figure a totally different panel may give me better luck and I also think the 27" is more room than necessary. Too big.

21. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Well good luck with what ever happens.

I need the processing power only offered in the 27" otherwise it's a Mac Pro for me. And a Mac Pro is way out of my budget.

22. mackage macrumors 6502

You could get a slightly used Macbook Pro and run a Cinema Display (or another display) and have about the same processing power.

23. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Currently on the phone with Apple and here's what's going on:

-Picked up where I left off with Apple Care supervisor/higher up
    -Did some more trouble shooting and no remedies with the display issue (no surprise)
    -Was transferred over to Apple Sales and looking to process this as a DOA/return and send over a replacement

More updates coming....

24. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Just finished dealing with the Apple Sales department:

-iMac is getting replaced
    -iMac is going to be packed back into the box and shipped back to Apple today
    -New iMac is going to be built to the same BTO specs and shipped out ASAP, hopefully will arrive by next Tuesday

My thoughts...

Good Apple customer service, though running through all the trouble shooting is pointless, especially once the issue has been established. I was a bit disappointed that I have to ship this iMac back before getting the new one shipped to me first but luckily, I do not have to ship back the entire bundle (Apple Care, $100 App Store gift card, free printer, free Magic Trackpad). I am a little worried that when the new one gets shipped to me that it will be missing the Magic Mouse (considering that I got the Trackpad after the fact).

Here's to hoping that the new one doesn't have the same issues or worse.

25. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Some people can do this, I can't. I'm not making the mistake of going with a mobile computer again when it will sit on my desk 99% of the time. And no, a MBP does not have the same processing power of a 27" quad-core 3.4GHz i7 iMac. No matter how you look at it, a MBP+CD combo is just on par or perhaps even more expensive compared to what I all ready spent on this BTO iMac. Lastly, I'm not into buying used or refurbished electronics.