Running with the Apple Watch...very dissapointed

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by F1Fan, Apr 6, 2015.

1. F1Fan macrumors member

F1Fan

So I'm an on again, off again runner. Ever since Nke +, I got much better with running because tracking my runs really helped motivate me. I would say it got to the point that I almost never run without it. It feels weird to me now to run without my iPhone or before that my Nano w/ Nike +.
    Ever since the 6 Plus though, I haven't run with the phone because it's just too damn big! (I don't have the sensor for the Nano 2nd gen that I own anymore nor does Nike make the shoes with room for the sensor anymore and actually thought about getting a new nano that doesn't rely on the sensor but was waiting for the :apple: Watch).

So I've been eagerly waiting at the edge of my seat for the :apple: Watch so I can finally go out for a run, track my runs, and not have to have a huge phone strapped to my arm. Unfortunately, I'm now finding out that this is not going to happen, at least as far as I can tell.

I know there's been speculation about whether you'll be able to run without your phone using the :apple: Watch, but on Apple's on site, in the description for the apps, they seem to make it pretty clear that you need to take your iPhone with you.
    http://www.apple.com/watch/app-store-apps/
    And in the Keynote video, you can clearly see that Christy Turlington Burns has the phone on her arms during her runs.

So I must say, I am extremely disappointed that what would have been my favorite feature for the watch is now non-existent. Am I the only one who is this bummed out about this feature?

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Did you read Christy's blog?

"Instead, I switched up my runs between the treadmill at the hotel gym and outside. After you run with Apple Watch and your iPhone a few times, the Workout app knows more about your stride. So you can run on a treadmill or outside without your phone and still get a really accurate workout summary. "

http://www.apple.com/watch/christy-turlington-burns/week-three/

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Like you, I am a long time Nike+ user with many years of data on that site.

Nike very recently announced partnerships with a number of other watch makers (Garmin, tomtom, and a few more) whereby you can link their accounts to your Nike+ account. So, if you run with, say, a Garmin watch and upload the data to Garmin connect, that same run data can now automatically appear in your Nike+ account.

Meaning, if you are not married to the idea of the apple watch, you can choose from a whole host of the most popular gps running watches and still use the Nike+ app/site/community. Just a thought.

4. F1Fan thread starter macrumors member

F1Fan

Thanks for posting that. I tried finding that on the site because I read something about her saying that, but didn't come across that statement.

I guess it's still not clear to me though what that means. It's a little vague when she says "a fairly accurate summary of your workout". Because that could be referring to things like the activity monitor that is built into the watch, but not necessarily details like mileage, pace, and certainly not GPS tracking like you would get with many running apps, even the semi-native Nike+ apps. I'm guessing the watch does not have it's own GPS sensor, and even when using the Maps app, it relies on the iPhone GPS sensor for location. Which is in contrast to many other fitness based smartwatches (ie Garmin, Fitbit Surge, etc.)

5. vc2020 macrumors regular

I was disappointed at first. I had picked up bluetooth headphones early in the year to prepare for the watch and I have an August smart lock at home which will also hopefully work well with the watch so for runs all I'd have would be the watch, my headphones and water bottle with nothing moving or distracting me in my pockets.

When I saw how dependent the Watch is on the phone I knew I wasn't willing to pick up another arm band. I had one for the 3G or 4 (I forget which one) and it was just annoying and I never ended up using it regularly. I saw that during the actual marathon that Christy had an Ultimate Direction Meow belt around her waist instead (http://ultimatedirection.com/p-611-meow.aspx?category=jenny-collection) and I liked the idea of something like that a lot more. It would be more future proof than an armband and more transparent (you don't have to think about it) while running as well so I picked up the male version of it (the Jurek) and I'm looking forward to my runs with  Watch and iPhone.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

You are entirely correct about that, and it's the primary reason I am not buying v1 of the apple watch. I hope it's added for v2.

7. go4two macrumors newbie

If Apple would allow a small BT GPS device to work with the Apple watch, you would have what you need. I suspect Apple, being Apple, will not let any 3rd party BT GPS devices work with the watch. If so, boo Apple. This would solve the problem all avid runners like myself would have with not having a GPS chip in the watch. Basically, the BT GPS would send the GPS data to the watch, thus giving you real time tracking while you are running. Then the app developers would incorporate this into their apps.

Come on Apple, let a BT GPS device work with the Apple Watch!!!!!

8. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

If that would solve the problem, they'd have just included it inside to begin with. The problem is that it uses too much battery. Making it an external bluetooth device wouldn't really change that.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The watch does not have a gps sensor, but as I understand it, it calculates mileage and pace using data from the motion sensor. So that's what she is referring to when she says it learns your stride. If you go running with only the watch, you'd get an estimated distance based on how many steps you took, and I'm guessing that the data can also be used to calculate your pace.

I'm also a bit disappointed that the watch doesn't have gps, but I hope it'll get added in the future.

10. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

My guess is that it's similar to the iPods that supported Nike+. You could go in and tell it to calibrate, and then run a 1/4 mile and it would more finely tune its distance calculation to your stride. It sounds like when the Watch is connected to your iPhone, it will do a similar self-calibration referencing your phone's GPS, so that it's a little more accurate the next time it's on its own.

In reference to the topic, though, runners are all looking for different things. Personally I'm planning on picking up a Watch to use exclusively for running, replacing my old iPod nano. I get something less cumbersome, lighter, and water resistant for music, in addition to little bonuses I don't find too important like heart rate and estimated distance. Oh, and it acts as a decent stopwatch.

But I'm also mostly a trail/track/treadmill runner, where GPS doesn't really help. And if I find myself on the roads, I just look up the distance ahead of time.

11. go4two, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015

go4two macrumors newbie

You don't get it. The external BT GPS device I speak of is the size of a keyless car remote. It has its own battery and GPS chip. It would be small enough to fit in a small pocket in your running shorts and then it would send the GPS data to the watch so that you could have REAL TIME GPS tracking while you are running. No need to carry a big Iphone.

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Bluetooth-Receiver-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000HZI2YY/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1428353432&sr=1-10&keywords=bluetooth+gps+receiver

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This has been known since the Oct announcement.

You can buy a (large) fanny pack for running and put your Plus in it. I have been carrying an iPhone on every run (2 to 5 a week) in a fanny pack since 2007. I personally would not buy a Plus because it is just too big for pockets and running. Here is the fanny pack (bottom Nathan) I use, and I have a bunch of them but all too small for the Plus.

[​IMG]

13. Crosspjc macrumors member

I was also a bit disappointed but IF the watch is accurate then what are you losing out on?

A map that you'll never look at again. I will probably run with my phone in a pouch but even with just the watch I think it won't matter that much.

14. vc2020 macrumors regular

How old is that Incase pack? I wish they still put out stuff like this and guitar cases.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It will only fit a 4S or older. I think a 5 may squeeze in (can't remember), but haven't used in years. No way will a 6 fit, so not much good with todays smart phone sizes.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I run with my iPhone 6 as I ran with my 5 before. No probs at all. In fact the 6 is better because it's lighter. In the winter it sits in my chest pocket. The rest of the year it sits in my right hand or back right pocket depending on how I feel. You should give it try or 2nd chance.

Looking forward to the AW. Hopefully it means I can shed my chest strap.

17. sterl320 macrumors 6502

get a Flip belt. makes the phone of any size feel non existent on your body.

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

For what it's worth my Pebble watch can track my steps taken without my iphone and then sync the info to the health app when I get back. If this dinky little $80 watch can do that I can't imagine why Apple's wouldn't be able to.

19. vc2020 macrumors regular

If Incase had an updated one I would've picked it up but went for the Ultimate Direction Jurek (which was supposed to arrive today). I will post back after I try it out for awhile.

20. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

I agree with the other posters who recommended a waist belt. I run at least one marathon – and several half marathons – a year, and average about 40 miles a week, and never run without my iPhone (now a 6 Plus). I use the Amphipod AirFlow Lite, wearing the pouch behind me. I wear mine over my shorts, and under my shirt, and I'm rarely aware that I have it on. Good luck.

http://www.amphipod.com/products/holders/music/electronics/airflow-lite

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Ditto.;)

22. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

also check out spibelt

http://www.spibelt.com/

23. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Why don't you just get a Flip Belt to put your iPhone in? Problem solved.

24. F1Fan thread starter macrumors member

F1Fan

Hmm..ok, maybe I will give it a try. I may have no choice depending on how the :apple: Watch ends up working w/ or w/o the phone.

I saw those online, but got the impression would not fit a 6 Plus. Have you used it with one? Is it snug? Does it flop around with each stride due to the weight?

25. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

OP, are you getting this mostly to run? Or are you seeing it as a great everyday deal that will be nice to have on your runs? In other words, do you view this purchase as a running watch with great extra features, or a smartwatch that can track your runs?