Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
Well after many problems trying various apps and betas and things, I've finally bitten the bullet and gotten a cheap Forerunner 235. It does exactly what I need and not much more. I'm going to sell my Apple Watch Series 2 on Ebay while it's still worth a bit. As far as all the other AW stuff I'll be missing out on, well most of that is done on my phone and so I'm happy to say goodbye to it. It was fun but I think this is the best time to sell with rumours of a new AW starting to appear.

I have been down the Garmin path a few times during my journey with the Apple Watch also. However, the one thing that always leads me back to the Apple Watch is music.

I just have no desire to go running with my iPhone 6+ strapped to me for music, and thus I stay with the Apple Watch since it is a all-in-one solution (GPS, HR, Music). I had a Forerunner 235 for a while, and it's a good watch, but if I wanted music, I would have to carry my phone, which I quickly decided I didn't want to do any longer. I am probably out of the norm with this .. but I found the AW2s optical HR monitor was also more accurate than Garmins which for me suffered from long bouts of cadence lock.

I have found that the Motifit Run app is pretty good .. the GPS if accurate for the most part, HR is good, voice feedback is buggy .. but mostly works, and it allows a direct export to Strava. I never have any issues with the Nike Run Club app, but getting the data to Strava is a hassle. The Strava app works for me also, but no voice feedback keeps me from using it for now.

dallison13 .. I too have been trying the iSmoothRun standalone beta, but been having a lot of GPS issues during the first mile for some reason, so I stopped using it. Also, it seems pretty basic right now, so hopefully the developer will add in more features. One thing I really do like about it is that it provides cadence. Not sure why none of the other apps have a cadence metric. And I agree, the interface needs a refresh.

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
I can confirm that WatchOS4 Beta 4 and Nike+ run app work fine.

I did have the Nike+ app crash at the end of my first 5km run last night on Beta 4 but all the data was saved, synced to the Nike+ app on the phone, and when I opened the Nike+ app later on the watch the stats were there, so nothing to be concerned about.

STROBE LIGHT FEATURE:
Has anyone used the strobe feature for a night run yet ? How should this work if you are using either the native workout app or 3rd party apps .... ie when you check your wrist for pace or distance info will the strobe momentarily stop and show the stats ....?

Does the Nike app in watchOS 4 log your routes with in the activity app on the iPhone or do you need to use the Nike run app to view your route after your run?

Also what is tracked in the Nike app if you don’t bring your iPhone on a run when using the Nike Run Club app on the Watch?

Thanks

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Does the Nike app in watchOS 4 log your routes with in the activity app on the iPhone or do you need to use the Nike run app to view your route after your run?

Also what is tracked in the Nike app if you don’t bring your iPhone on a run when using the Nike Run Club app on the Watch?

Thanks

The map of the run is only available in the Nike app. The AW Activity app gets the usual statistics - time, pace, HR and more but no map

If I run without my phone I get the exact screen but only difference is that it doesn’t log elevation

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
The map of the run is only available in the Nike app. The AW Activity app gets the usual statistics - time, pace, HR and more but no map

Unfortunately the ability to save workout routes for use in the Activity app is not automatic in watchOS 4 and requires developers to release a new version of their app that explicitly sends the location data. No developers can currently release a new version that uses APIs only available in watchOS 4, so no third party apps are yet able to save the route for workout.

I'd imagine that new versions of most workout apps will appear after watchOS 4 is officially released, and that these will save the routes for use in the activity app. As the developer of a workout app I certainly plan to add route saving as soon as it is possible!

Reactions: xDKP

tmiles81

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
As a non-developer but someone who runs for casual fitness, what exactly will the changes be to watchOS that impact running?

I guess what i mean by this is - can one use the built-in workout app to log a run and export to a third party app such as Nike+? Or does it mean that more data is pulled from a run logged in a third party app to add to the workout/activity app in the workouts screen? For example, the run map.

If there are other benefits i would love to know how these impact the software.
Cheers

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
As a non-developer but someone who runs for casual fitness, what exactly will the changes be to watchOS that impact running?

I guess what i mean by this is - can one use the built-in workout app to log a run and export to a third party app such as Nike+? Or does it mean that more data is pulled from a run logged in a third party app to add to the workout/activity app in the workouts screen? For example, the run map.

Cheers

I’m pretty invested in the Nike community and use it to compete with friends etc.

However I do like the build in run app a little better for sheer speed, responsiveness and just less crashes and issues - but don’t think it’s possible to sync the runs out of the Apple system if you use the internal one

tmiles81

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
However I do like the build in run app a little better for sheer speed, responsiveness and just less crashes and issues - but don’t think it’s possible to sync the runs out of the Apple system if you use the internal one
This is where i wish the built in workout app would keep records like fastest 1k, 5k, 10k etc.
If it did these things, i'd likely ditch the Nike app entirely - having said this and now thinking about it - i also believe my iphone backups are getting larger and larger probably due to the activity app??

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
This is where i wish the built in workout app would keep records like fastest 1k, 5k, 10k etc.
If it did these things, i'd likely ditch the Nike app entirely - having said this and now thinking about it - i also believe my iphone backups are getting larger and larger probably due to the activity app??

The activity data is in the cloud I think, but I'm with you regarding records etc. in the Activity app - really one of the most motivating parts of the Nike system (with the friend "fights")

dallison13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014

Cheers
The developer of RunGap has confirmed that his app will allow for exporting of the Apple Workouts with maps and GPS coordinates. You can actually already do this - you just don't get the workout routes and maps. In my opinion, it makes the Apple workout app that much more attractive, even if it is simple. With built in music control in IOS11, it works best.

I have been testing the iSmoothRun beta as well. Works pretty well, basically as if it's a Garmin watch. GPS, is a slightly flaky though, but serviceable. Exports to anything.
[doublepost=1503522651][/doublepost]
I have been down the Garmin path a few times during my journey with the Apple Watch also. However, the one thing that always leads me back to the Apple Watch is music.

I just have no desire to go running with my iPhone 6+ strapped to me for music, and thus I stay with the Apple Watch since it is a all-in-one solution (GPS, HR, Music). I had a Forerunner 235 for a while, and it's a good watch, but if I wanted music, I would have to carry my phone, which I quickly decided I didn't want to do any longer. I am probably out of the norm with this .. but I found the AW2s optical HR monitor was also more accurate than Garmins which for me suffered from long bouts of cadence lock.

I have found that the Motifit Run app is pretty good .. the GPS if accurate for the most part, HR is good, voice feedback is buggy .. but mostly works, and it allows a direct export to Strava. I never have any issues with the Nike Run Club app, but getting the data to Strava is a hassle. The Strava app works for me also, but no voice feedback keeps me from using it for now.

dallison13 .. I too have been trying the iSmoothRun standalone beta, but been having a lot of GPS issues during the first mile for some reason, so I stopped using it. Also, it seems pretty basic right now, so hopefully the developer will add in more features. One thing I really do like about it is that it provides cadence. Not sure why none of the other apps have a cadence metric. And I agree, the interface needs a refresh.

This is why I feel like when RunGap releases their app, we will get some of the stats we want to see. If you import a run from the AW's native workout app now, you will get cadence, and all the goodies... just no GPS information. So it's there! I even went paddling with the PaddleLogger app and when exported to Run Gap, showed my 'cadence' which is really just 'strokes'.

Long story short, is that I think the AW is collecting more data than we think, it's just not showing it anywhere right now. I feel like it's trying to be too simple with all the tools already built in.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
The developer of RunGap has confirmed that his app will allow for exporting of the Apple Workouts with maps and GPS coordinates. You can actually already do this - you just don't get the workout routes and maps. In my opinion, it makes the Apple workout app that much more attractive, even if it is simple. With built in music control in IOS11, it works best.

Very interesting - just don’t have high hopes it will be possible to export from Apple to the Nike system any time soon - they want us to use the Nike app because they are a partner on the watch

goat5570

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Another ismoothrun user here (not beta. Didn't know they have one now, so hopefully more improvements are coming to the app.) It exports to everything, including Nike. I have friends on Nike and my runs from ismoothrun export there. It's just like using the Nike app, except I have control of all the data. I can look on the Nike site and app and see all of the data. No one would be able to tell I didn't use the nike app to record my runs.

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada

If I run without my phone I get the exact screen but only difference is that it doesn’t log elevation

Thanks, one more question...

If I use the Nike run app, after my run I only see one split time, (my first mile) in the Apple activity app on the iPhone.

Is this what you get too? (It would be nice to see all my split times, I.e. 1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles and so on in the activity app.

I do see all my split times in the Nike app.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Thanks, one more question...

If I use the Nike run app, after my run I only see one split time, (my first mile) in the Apple activity app on the iPhone.

Is this what you get too? (It would be nice to see all my split times, I.e. 1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles and so on in the activity app.

I do see all my split times in the Nike app.

Same with the splits on iOS 11 and WatchOS 4 - that might be Nike’s side of the equation that needs to be fixed, but I’m not sure

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Another ismoothrun user here (not beta. Didn't know they have one now, so hopefully more improvements are coming to the app.) It exports to everything, including Nike. I have friends on Nike and my runs from ismoothrun export there. It's just like using the Nike app, except I have control of all the data. I can look on the Nike site and app and see all of the data. No one would be able to tell I didn't use the nike app to record my runs.

When you say "all of the data" does that mean including maps?

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I'm slowly starting to loose patience here - Nike has been off lately - if it weren't for the challenge I have with a friend (really top motivation here with a monthly challenge in km) I would have dumped the app again for a while - it's slow on my S2 and crashes a lot when finishing a workout and for some reason the distance (and therefore speed) is off now

Anyone else on the latest betas on iOS and WatchOS and have problems with Nike?

dallison13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
I'm slowly starting to loose patience here - Nike has been off lately - if it weren't for the challenge I have with a friend (really top motivation here with a monthly challenge in km) I would have dumped the app again for a while - it's slow on my S2 and crashes a lot when finishing a workout and for some reason the distance (and therefore speed) is off now

I dumped Nike many months ago but feel your frustration! My distance has been slightly off compared to my Garmin. I did a calibration Reset on my watch this week and things have improved. I'm sure yours is part beta, and part calibration, which won't really be resolved until Nike updates their app, WHICH COULD TAKE AGES!

Reactions: xDKP

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012

That's a little discouraging to hear. The watch app has been rock solid for me and distances are always the same as when I used to run with my phone and either the Nike app or strata. I don't have a garmin to compare against, but the app has been great. I hope it's just beta versions bugs and not issues that make it into the release version of the app.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
That's a little discouraging to hear. The watch app has been rock solid for me and distances are always the same as when I used to run with my phone and either the Nike app or strata. I don't have a garmin to compare against, but the app has been great. I hope it's just beta versions bugs and not issues that make it into the release version of the app.

Yeah it’s pretty sad but it seems to be iOS 11 / WatchOS 4 beta that has started the issues - hopefully they test a lot out at the Nike end of the line.

Started a run on my iPhone the other day and average pace was way off and jumped massively up and down during the run at a steady pace - kind of weird

dallison13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 8.52.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 8.52.31 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 161
Reactions: Bob190

wackz

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2016
Did anyone notice the screenshots of the NRC app from the new Nike Series 3? Looks quite nice, everything in red now. Also I read about the audio guide feature which is coming soon...
I wonder when they release the update...

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Did anyone notice the screenshots of the NRC app from the new Nike Series 3? Looks quite nice, everything in red now. Also I read about the audio guide feature which is coming soon...
I wonder when they release the update...

I saw it as well and might go back and try the app again when the update is ready ... But until then I will go back to the build in app - Started Nike on my iPhone and tucked it away during a marathon this Sunday. Everything was mirrored okay on the watch (but somehow it had changed the setting for showing current speed instead of average speed - annoying)

At around 35-36 km mark the watch app crashed and reloaded 800 meters back even though i could hear in my Airpods that the phone had the same distance as before. When I reached the goal I stopped it on my phone to be sure it kept it but Nike just made sure my watch was a good clock that day and nothing like the digital partner it should be - Catastrophic on a day like that!

If I could export the Apple workout data to Nike it would be good, because they really need to update it

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
The RunGap beta is here. I was able to export my AW2 run into Strava. Hallelujah. Here it is.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1180597552/overview

I am now complete! Cadence looks a little rough, but I'll take it.

Thanks for the heads up dallison13, I downloaded the iOS 11 GM last night, and updated to the RunGap beta, and now can use the Workout app and send all of the data .. including GPS .. to Strava.

Missing the voice feedback, but the integrated Workout app is probably the most accurate of all the running apps. Hopefully the RunGap developer can get the cadence figured out. The only app that seems to get the cadence right is iSmoothRun, but I have had a lot of other issues with it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1182218501

Last edited:

prss14

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2009
Kentucky
The RunGap beta is here. I was able to export my AW2 run into Strava. Hallelujah. Here it is.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1180597552/overview

I am now complete! Cadence looks a little rough, but I'll take it.

If you don't mind me asking your setup is right now?

iOS 11 Beta on iPhone
Using Workout App in wOS 4 Beta on Watch
Rungap Beta to export to Strava after run has been saved.

Is that the setup?

thanks

josh

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
If you don't mind me asking your setup is right now?

iOS 11 Beta on iPhone
Using Workout App in wOS 4 Beta on Watch
Rungap Beta to export to Strava after run has been saved.

Is that the setup?

thanks

josh

Not sure about dallison13, but my setup is what you list, except I am still on WatchOS3.

As long as you are on iOS 11 and have the RunGap beta, you should be able to export all data including GPS coordinates to Strava. WatchOS4 isn't required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.