running world of warcraft on mac. Good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by djvic87, May 6, 2009.

1. djvic87 macrumors regular

This is my first time running world of warcraft on my unibody macbook pro stock version. I noticed that the notebook gets really hot, especially on the left corner side of my macbook pro. Is it bad to have the macbook pro running real hot? Does it matter if I dont use a special fan device? I just simply want to turn on my notebook and start playing the game without worrying about the life span and heat inside my macbook pro. Any advice?

2. iMouse macrumors regular

I play WoW on my wife's Aluminum MacBook 2.4 and it gets pretty warm. A good solution that I've found is to download and install SMCFanControl2 and set a fan speed profile for when you play WoW. Works great!

The new MacBooks appear to run cooler than PowerBooks and previous-gen MacBook/MacBook Pros probably due to cooler operating Core 2's and the new GeForce 9400m chipset/GPU combo. If you're really concerned about heat in the MBP, possibly leaving the GPU on the 9400m instead of the 9600GT would also keep it cooler. I get about 28-34 FPS with the MacBook's 9400m in most places in Northrend and well over 40 FPS in other pre-expansion areas. :D

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I probably have 100 days played time on my MBP ( :( yes I know its alot).
    Haven't had any issues (xcept my first graphics card died within a few months after i bought it, but that happened to a lot of ppl and apple payed the repairs). I do use SMCfan control tho

4. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

I run WoW on my macbook. It gets a little warm but it stays within normal limits. I don't think you'll have a problem with it at all, but like others said try the fan controller and see if that lowers the temp for ya. If anything it'll just make you feel more comfortable than anything because its probably not that necessary.

5. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I run it in clamshell mode on my 2.4 9600gt model.

155-160F is the CPU temp and GPU diode can be close to the same. I purchased a Zalman notebook cooler and all it does is keep the MBP from touching the desk - iow it has no real effect on how warm the system gets while playing wow.

Do note, I tend to run two copies of WOW at once and at times three using this machine.

6. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Why do you run 2 or 3 copies of WoW at once?

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That's if you can get it to run. I just downloaded v2.2 and it seems to open, but no window appears, nothing discernible happens, and it does not show in the dock as a running app on my MBP. I looked at the developers site and there were a slew of comments about it not functioning correctly on a variety of Mac hardware. :(