Rush Limbaugh still wearing his Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rogifan, May 9, 2015.

1. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

Rush Limbaugh offers a video feed of his daily radio show. As you can see from the photo below he's wearing his Apple Watch every day. Looks like he has the SS Watch with milanese loop and white Sport band. Prior to getting the Watch he always wore a traditional mechanical watch.

I'm sure most people here don't listen to his show but before he got the Watch he was quite critical of it, especially some of the media memes about it making you use your phone less. He said he had no interest in it and doesn't want to use his phone less; that when a new iPhone comes out he can't wait to get it and play with it but had no similar feelings about the Watch. And the Watch he has he didn't even buy, it was a gift from someone. Sure it's possible Limaugh takes it off the minute his show is over but considering he was honest in his criticism prior to getting the Watch and he didn't buy it himself I doubt he'd continue to wear it if he hated it.

Maybe this really is a product you need to own and start using before you gravitate to it. I'll be curious to see Apple's marketing campaigns going forward. It's hard to say "trust us you'll like it once you have it and start using it".

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/videos/5/65925

[​IMG]

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Personally I think he's a deplorable human being, but he is an Apple fan, so he gets a couple brownie points back.

3. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I doubt Apple will want their image to be associated with him. I hope not anyways...

4. irentamac, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015

irentamac macrumors regular

irentamac

To the OP, I agree with the point you are making. And a couple days ago he did address the watch and how his views have changed some since actually having it. He was still critical of some things, the main one being that its slow, but I think as more native apps become available that this will be less of an issue. He did point out that it is very handy when it comes to being able to just see a notification if he didn't have his phone right there, but that if his phone was easily available, he still did prefer just grabbing his phone.

Rush is very pro Apple, but based on HIS impression of the watch before getting one, he didn't see the point. I think there are a LOT of people in this country that fall in this camp. Outside of the loyal fanbase, I think it will just take time and exposure for smart watches to become more mainstream. Apple selling as many as they have will certainly change this.

5. Phil Holland macrumors regular

Rush is a terrific human being. Hope he likes his watch!

6. Rogifan thread starter Suspended

Rogifan

I though Tim Cook said Apple was for everyone?

7. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Before this thread gets totally derailed with hatred, get back to the point of the thread.

- he has been very pro Apple.
    - when the watch came out he was very skeptical of it and thought it was a bad idea and made no sense.
    - he has come to like it and wears it rather than any of the uber expensive watches he could afford to wear.

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

If nothing else it's good to know that the watch is getting some publicity in rural areas to those over 70 who still listen to AM radio.

9. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

I have listened to his program many, many, many times. My point is this:

He is an entertainer - he makes all his money by saying things that boost his ratings and in turn increase his advert revenue. In general, this is not a person someone should look to for sound opinions and moral guidance... and I didn't know he was a tech expert as well??

As to supporting apple, he probably owns stocks... He IS a smart guy.

No offense intended to any Rush fans. ;)

10. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Too early to extrapolate into infinity. It's like looking in the mirror for a few days, seeing no visible changes and proclaiming that you are forever young.

The honeymoon with smartwatches lasts 1-2 months. After that, it's no different than any marriage.

11. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

It's interesting that you clearly have no interest in the Apple Watch, but your post history shows this is the only forum you post in.

I usually try to ignore the trolls but I needed to get that off my chest.

12. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

I do have interest in the i⌚️. As an owner of many # products, I'm genuinely intrigued whether i⌚️ will succeed or fail. So far, I see it as an epic flop.

13. dannyyankou, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015

dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Yeah, epic flop. 3 million sold the first weekend. Epic flop. Sure.

14. samiznaetekto, May 9, 2015

samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Of those 3 million, how many are delivered? I can accept 3 million orders for Brooklyn Bridge, too.

And what's the current daily order rate? It looks like due to long wait and everybody knowing they have to be ordering at 12:01, it was like a Dirac delta function: huge spike at one moment in time, and then almost nothing. We'll have to see how many total watches they sell (and deliver!) in one year.

15. dannyyankou, May 9, 2015

dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

You're making a lot of bold assumptions. Most watches say they ship in July, so there is still high demand.

16. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Still 3 million orders a day? Wow, that's 1 billion i⌚️ a year! :D

They ship in July not because of sustained high demand, it's because they predicted they'll sell, say, 3.65million watches a year and made assembly lines to output 10,000 watches a day. Because most of these orders (3 million or whatever) came in on the first day (as expected because of the 8-month procrastination wait), they can't make these assembly lines to make 3 million watches on the first day.

17. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

It will be interesting to see how that turns out in time. Of course, at the moment it seems like nobody is really using it, maybe because there's such a limited supply. I still haven't gotten mine and don't personally know another sole with one.

18. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

For what it's worth, I have a few friends who said they haven't ordered yet because the shipping times are too long. They said they'll wait until they're sold in stores. I expect another big rush of orders when that happens.

19. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Yeah, seems like they haven't released enough to make them mainstream yet.

20. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Time will tell. But nobody can deny the fact that the whole Apple geek and scalper world was sitting at 12:01 at their computers hitting refresh. The hope was that they'll receive their watches on day 1. So nobody can deny the fact that the initial spike was so big, that it far dwarfs anything after it, even if there will be some minor spikes. General Apple-ecosystem population just doesn't give a **** about i⌚️.

21. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

It is for everyone. They'll happily accept money from anyone buying their products.

But we're talking about the idea of using him in an ad campaign and ssociating the apple PR image with him (and I think you knew what I meant anyways).

22. irentamac macrumors regular

irentamac

I would argue that Apple actually is happy about him voicing support for their product to millions of listeners, as well as his apparent adoption of the Watch when he had no interest in it before trying it. As I said before, I think his thoughts before having the watch mirrors what many people are thinking. What's the point? His is just another example of this watch overcoming these objections. The only thing is how to get people to experience it and get past that "I don't need it" mentality. Rush's audience is massive. This is great publicity for Apple, and while many of Apple's top people may not agree with him, I know they love the publicity and I'm sure customers that will come from him.

23. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

Rush is no doubt a divisive character with the potential to alienate a lot of people. His audiences are often loyal listeners and as that's the case, I personally think he had already done his preaching to his massive audience for apple and probably not much more to gain by highlighting him in a national/international campaign. By purposely including him though, I fear apple might alienate more people than they convince purely because of his controversial nature (just look at the immediate associated reactions of his name being mentioned in this thread). Maybe Apple can just pay him to mention the Apple watch a few more times on his own show, lol. Just my 2 cents tho.

24. nick42983 macrumors 6502

nick42983

Love this thread idea, I've always enjoyed Rush's take on Apple products and G5 jets, haters gonna hate :cool:

25. irentamac, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015

irentamac macrumors regular

irentamac

I agree with your point here. I don't think he would make a good publicly recognized advertisement for them. That said, I know Apple loves his endorsement because it helps them reach an audience they probably wouldn't spend money trying to reach, for free!