Russia Threatens to Ban Encrypted Messaging App Telegram

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jun 23, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Russia has threatened to block access to the Telegram messaging platform unless the company that runs the app provides more information about itself (via Sky News).

The head of communications regulator Roskomnadzor, Alexander Zharov, said repeated efforts to obtain the information had been ignored by the company and warned that "time is running out" for the app.

[​IMG]
    Telegram's non-response appears to be down to the repercussions of handing over the requested details: Doing so would effectively add it to the state regulators' registry, which would require it to retain users' chat histories and encryption keys and share them with authorities if asked, according to Russian news agency TASS.

The demand isn't the first time the Russian founders of Telegram - Kremlin, Nikolai and Pavel Durov - have failed to comply with state requests. In 2014, the Durovs refused to turn over data on Ukranian users of Vkontakte, a social network they also set up together.

Telegram claims to split its encryption keys into separate data centers around the world to ensure "no single government or block of like-minded countries can intrude on people's privacy and freedom of expression".

According to the group's policy, it can only be forced to hand over data if "an issue is grave and universal enough to pass the scrutiny of several different legal systems around the world".

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Russia Threatens to Ban Encrypted Messaging App Telegram

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

As if all people are stupid nowadays, more and more people know a way around these restrictions, so, why block it.

3. ikir macrumors 65816

Telegram rocks and care about privacy (and performance, integration, innovation)

4. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

Just switched all my friends and parents to Telegram. Hopefully they don't just disappear and are shut down and we have to find a cross platform messenger that doesn't involve any major social media company.

5. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Anytime, any app that comes out in favour of customer's privacy, it is promptly blocked and banned by governments. Just in the name and sake of terrorism prevention. This ruse that governments use to spy on people will not last long. The real ones are always able to find a way, and the innocent ones have to bare their a**es for the government.

6. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

7. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Hope they can stand long.
    But I fear we are continuing a losing battle against government data mining.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

9. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

That may be, but no Mac client is a huge pitfall today. At least for me. I have managed without a phone in my pocket for 6 months now, just because I had Telegram on the Mac. (I do not make and receive more than 3-4 calls a month)

10. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Telegram is unsafe. Use Signal or WhatsApp.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 23, 2017 ---
    You can use the Chrome app. Not as ideal as a native app but it is a viable Mac desktop client.

11. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

I wouldn't trust Telegram anyway.

Also, has nobody figured out a distributed chat system that's easy to use and can't really be taken down without blocking the entire Internet? Sounds like some combination of Tor + whatever messaging app you want would at least protect anonymity, though they could still read the messages.

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Now there, that's an idea, make a message app that includes encryption, VPN and Tor.

If only I could code, I would steal your idea.:p

13. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

*this.

Still surprises me every time I hear people go on about Telegram... it is inferior, there are better options. If security is your concern and you are trying to have friends/family switch to a new messaging platform anyway, use Signal:

https://www.eff.org/node/82654

14. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Even Whatsapp is rated higher than Telegram, lol. And afaik, it's security is based on Signal's.

15. KALLT macrumors 601

Telegram has already turned into a social-media company itself.

As noted by the article, Telegram is controlled by the people who used to be in charge of the Russian equivalent of Facebook. It is this connection that the Russian Government ostensibly uses to put pressure on them to comply with their demands. Too risky and high-profile for me. Their server infrastructure as well as crypto implementation (which they invented themselves) is still closed-source and apparently not audited that often (at least I find little information other than a reference to an audit in 2015), whereas the apps’ source code is chronically outdated. We don't actually know how things are operated behind the scenes.

16. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

Yes. I've been a member of ВКонтакте (VK) since 2006. Much better than Facebook.

17. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

You recommend a FB product?

Say what?

As for Chrome app... Not ideal is quite fitting, "doesn't have a future" even more so: Click

Glassed Silver:mac

18. sudo1996, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017

sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

Actually, what I'm saying is just focus on a general-purpose anonymous proxy for HTTP (or maybe TCP in general), then use anything on top of that. Problem with Signal and such is that you have to get others to use it, then you're all screwed if it gets banned. But again, what I describe will not protect your messages, only your identity. So just don't say your identity in your messages, and I guess it's fine?

19. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

I'm more worried about private parties reading my messages and getting screwed over like this. I don't send messages like those, but there's probably always someone important somewhere who will be offended by other things.

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Chrome apps may be going away but Chrome extensions are not, and if I remember correctly Signal is an extension, is it not?

21. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

does this mean that Telegram is actually secure?

22. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Apparently not

Glassed Silver:ios

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

24. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Who says you're out, hopefully something will happen.