Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
Hey folks,

I'm running a flashed R9 280X at the moment and it is consuming too much power so the PSU fan keeps ramping up and it is annoying me. Therefore I'm looking for a more power saving GPU.

As Apple is recommending the RX 580 for Mojave, I was wondering if the RX 480 would also be fine, as they share the same chip and the RX 580 is just a bumped version of the RX 480 with little performance gain but higher power consumption.

Has anyone experience with a RX 480 and a cMP? How is the driver support? I guess it will be supported as long as the RX 580 is supported, because of the same architecture?

Capt America

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2016
Hey folks,

I'm running a flashed R9 280X at the moment and it is consuming too much power so the PSU fan keeps ramping up and it is annoying me. Therefore I'm looking for a more power saving GPU.

As Apple is recommending the RX 580 for Mojave, I was wondering if the RX 480 would also be fine, as they share the same chip and the RX 580 is just a bumped version of the RX 480 with little performance gain but higher power consumption.

Has anyone experience with a RX 480 and a cMP? How is the driver support? I guess it will be supported as long as the RX 580 is supported, because of the same architecture?
I have the rx480 in 5,1 and have zero issues in windows 10 or os mojave. Fan runs normal and half the time i don't hear it. driver support is native to mac os so you don't have to worry about holding software updates. 480 is obviously older than the 580 so its possible you could pick up cheaper than 580 but a bunch of those got gobbled up when the first came out so price might be similar at this point you might consider going with 580. I don't know about the performance difference between the two but i'm sure its negligible. You get no efi boot screen either way though so the easiest way i found to switch between mac os and windows is do starup disk and boot to windows in system preferences and then when you want to boot back to mac os from windows just restart and hold cmd, option, p and r (pram reset). This also allows you to keep SIP enabled for mac os.

Reactions: miguelsan22

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
I have the rx480 in 5,1 and have zero issues in windows 10 or os mojave. Fan runs normal and half the time i don't hear it. driver support is native to mac os so you don't have to worry about holding software updates.

Thanks for your information. Do I need any additional cables for the RX 480, or can I just use the one 6 pin to 6 pin cable I already have connected to my current GPU? Cause the RX 580 needs a special dual 6 pin to 8 pin cable.

As far as performance goes, according to benchmarks the RX 580 is only 7% faster than the RX 480, but uses a lot more power. And since power consumption is my main priority the RX 480 seems more appealing to me.

Capt America

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2016
Thanks for your information. Do I need any additional cables for the RX 480, or can I just use the one 6 pin to 6 pin cable I already have connected to my current GPU? Cause the RX 580 needs a special dual 6 pin to 8 pin cable.

As far as performance goes, according to benchmarks the RX 580 is only 7% faster than the RX 480, but uses a lot more power. And since power consumption is my main priority the RX 480 seems more appealing to me.
Pretty sure I used the standard six pin cable. I didn’t use any dual pin cables I know that.

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
Pretty sure I used the standard six pin cable. I didn’t use any dual pin cables I know that.

Alright. Are you using a reference card with a single blower type fan or an open dual fan card? How happy are you with the noise level of the GPU?

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
reference card all the way. fan noise level is normal. it isn't very loud.

I’m running a rx480 and use a dual mini pci express power to a single 6 pin connector. A rx480 with dual power connectors is a safer bet. They tweaked the initial reference design as it was shown to draw too much voltage from the pcie slot. Although I’m using a single 6 pin power version in my Mac Pro without issue. Ymmv.

Reactions: crjackson2134

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I am using RX-480 rebranded as 580 from DELL. Single fan 6 pin 110W. Occupies only 2 slots versus RX-580 Sapphire Pulse 2.2. I purchased originally the Pulse card but the fans were obstructed by the GT-120 in PCIE-2 or any other PCIe card in slot 2, so I replaced it with the DELL card.

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
I’m running a rx480 and use a dual mini pci express power to a single 6 pin connector. Although I’m using a single 6 pin power version in my Mac Pro without issue. Ymmv.

Wait. Are you using a single 6 pin connector or a dual 6 pin connector?

I am using RX-480 rebranded as 580 from DELL. Single fan 6 pin 110W. Occupies only 2 slots versus RX-580 Sapphire Pulse 2.2. I purchased originally the Pulse card but the fans were obstructed by the GT-120 in PCIE-2 or any other PCIe card in slot 2, so I replaced it with the DELL card.

What's your power connection? A single or a dual 6 pin connector?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Wait. Are you using a single 6 pin connector or a dual 6 pin connector?

What's your power connection? A single or a dual 6 pin connector?
Dual, but you can use safely single. 2x75=150. The card can pull more than 75W from the 6 pin on demand. I think around 100-125 safely.

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
Dual, but you can use safely single. 2x75=150. The card can pull more than 75W from the 6 pin on demand. I think around 100-125 safely.

Where did you get a dual 6 pin to 6 pin cable? I couldn't find any online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.